The MT-07 Forum

Auxiliary Lighting, lower fork mounted, add'tl driving light

jeffkisthename

• Global Moderator
jeffkisthename

Have any of our members added additional lighting to their bikes at all? If so, please post and share what you've done.  I myself have been considering adding lights on the lower forks where the reflectors are.  Just unbolt those crap look reflectors and add some triangle effect.  How much additional power can our bikes handle? Anyone know?

SigSide.jpg

• Global Moderator

Not sure about the additional power.... but the reflector brackets are held on bythe brake caliper bolts
Found them shitty to remove due to a full bottle of loctite used between the 4 bolts

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

I've looked into it, was looking at some nice Denali micro's for my forks but didn't buy any. Our manual said it can handle 50 extra watts.

Beemer

• Premium Member

If you haven't tried one already, you would be amazed at how much light the cyclops LED throws for a mere $64. I would recommend starting there first and then see if you feel you need additional lighting.

• Global Moderator
Not sure about the additional power.... but the reflector brackets are held on bythe brake caliper bolts Found them shetty to remove due to a full bottle of loctite used between the 4 bolts

That is odd. There was no loc-tite on my bolts when I removed the reflector. 

• Premium Member
Not sure about the additional power.... but the reflector brackets are held on bythe brake caliper bolts Found them shetty to remove due to a full bottle of loctite used between the 4 bolts

That is odd. There was no loc-tite on my bolts when I removed the reflector. 
Mine dide had a big amount of red loctite, i had to replace the bolts since they almost stripped

• Global Moderator

@noltz, I wonder if the dealership did that. Red loc-tite makes no sense there. If it was done at the factory I would have thought they would all have it.

• Premium Member

I will be adding Bikevis bullets...as well, they dont add road illumination as much as they make you a bit more conspicuous to dum dums. They are tiny and easily mounted. Something like these are no issue for your system. Its my understanding that LEDs are pretty minimal in draw.

http://www.motorcycleinnovations.ca/BikeVis_Bullets_White_p/whitebullets.htm

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

• Global Moderator
jeffkisthename
I've looked into it, was looking at some nice Denali micro's for my forks but didn't buy any. Our manual said it can handle 50 extra watts.

Yeah, I was looking into those. They look great for what I'm trying to achieve. In California we split lanes, so the added visibility is definitely welcoming.

SigSide.jpg

• Global Moderator
jeffkisthename
If you haven't tried one already, you would be amazed at how much light the cyclops LED throws for a mere $64. I would recommend starting there first and then see if you feel you need additional lighting.

I've seen those, and while I like that idea, I'm more partial to HID, but for AUX, LEDS are the preferred choice. I'm not necessarily looking into more lighting for sight, but more lighting to be visible to cagers, plus AUX driving lights would be really visible at night. I always see those adventure bike coming at night.

SigSide.jpg

I will be adding Bikevis bullets...as well, they dont add road illumination as much as they make you a bit more conspicuous to dum dums. They are tiny and easily mounted. Something like these are no issue for your system. Its my understanding that LEDs are pretty minimal in draw. 

Dude, you rock! I have been looking and looking for something like these to mount on my forks! Small/effective/cheap/50,000 hrs. I have the Cyclops and they work great but a little extra light in the turns at night/to the side to light up critters crossing (deer :-/ ) wouldn't hurt a bit and of course to get the attention of those pesky cagers at all hours. 

Beemer

• Global Moderator
jeffkisthename

Dude, you rock! I have been looking and looking for something like these to mount on my forks! Small/effective/cheap/50,000 hrs. I have the Cyclops and they work great but a little extra light in the turns at night/to the side to light up critters crossing (deer :-/ ) wouldn't hurt a bit and of course to get the attention of those pesky cagers at all hours. 
There's a version 2 of those BikeVis Bullets now, and they're even brighter.  I was thinking of putting either 2 or 3 on top of one another and putting them in the intake ducts.

SigSide.jpg

• Premium Member

Take it a step further and add a switch and circuit that uses bike lean angle to automatically turn on the left or right side accordingly to illuminate into a corner ;)

• Global Moderator
jeffkisthename

BikeVis Bullets V2 :

http://www.webbikeworld.com/lights/bikevis-bullets-v2/

Looking at these too : Skene Photon Blasters

Web Bike Review :

http://www.webbikeworld.com/lights/skene-photon-blaster-review/

Actual Product Page Gallery :
http://www.skenedesign.com/lights/PB_Gallery.shtml

SigSide.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
 I just ordered a pair of the of the "Denali DM Micro's" for that very spot. Reading from other forums and reviews the build quality and lumens is pretty solid. When I have them wired up I'll post my 2 cents and some pics.  

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

I just ordered a pair of the of the "Denali DM Micro's" for that very spot. Reading from other forums and reviews the build quality and lumens is pretty solid. When I have them wired up I'll post my 2 cents and some pics.  

Cool! I wanted them but they're pricey and I had already dug into my funds too much for bike parts.  Pics or video of them would be nice, thanks!

Beemer

• 3 weeks later...

I've got the Denali D2 kit on order. It's way pricey, but I ended up riding at night on a high-speed winding road w/o being able to use my high beams due to oncoming traffic. I couldn't see a damn thing and freaked myself out enough to drop hundreds of dollars on LEDs. They tie into the stock wiring, draw minimal power, and allow both high beam (100%) and low beam (40%) usage toggled by the stock controls. Hopefully this provides enough brightness to actually see the road without constantly blinding oncoming traffic.

• Global Moderator
jeffkisthename
I've got the Denali D2 kit on order. It's way pricey, but I ended up riding at night on a high-speed winding road w/o being able to use my high beams due to oncoming traffic. I couldn't see a damn thing and freaked myself out enough to drop hundreds of dollars on LEDs. They tie into the stock wiring, draw minimal power, and allow both high beam (100%) and low beam (40%) usage toggled by the stock controls. Hopefully this provides enough brightness to actually see the road without constantly blinding oncoming traffic.
Remember to do a separate review thread and post a link here!!!

SigSide.jpg

• 2 months later...
Here's my borderline excessive aux lighting setup. 

12828260_10153896388241955_5790083964760222406_o.jpg12496504_10153896388246955_4391163893412111825_o.jpg
can you take a pic with them turned off so i can see how they are mounted and where. aslo what lights are they? 

• Premium Member

@beemer - if someone wants to use more than 50 extra watts, because I already have and use for the winter the handle bars heated grip, and also planning on getting a pair or two of the Denali lights, also some heated rain gear, would it be an option to change from the heavy stock battery to a lighter lithium Palmer battery, but a one with more wattage than the original stock battery, that way I could get more watts and also the reduction in weight.....!!!
Would that work ?
would anybody care to explain.

twowheeladdict
BikeVis Bullets V2 :  
http://www.webbikeworld.com/lights/bikevis-bullets-v2/

Looking at these too : Skene Photon Blasters

Web Bike Review :

http://www.webbikeworld.com/lights/skene-photon-blaster-review/

Actual Product Page Gallery :
http://www.skenedesign.com/lights/PB_Gallery.shtml
I added the Skenedesign photon blasters to my Concours 1400 in addition to mondolights mm10 LEDs.  Really helped people see me. smPICT0039_zpsdef5de25.jpg
I moved them to the trophy.

411630644.jpg

2015 FZ-07

Archived