Sign in to follow this  
jeffkisthename

Auxiliary Lighting, lower fork mounted, add'tl driving light

jeffkisthename
Have any of our members added additional lighting to their bikes at all? If so, please post and share what you've done.  I myself have been considering adding lights on the lower forks where the reflectors are.  Just unbolt those crap look reflectors and add some triangle effect.  How much additional power can our bikes handle? Anyone know?
  • Like 1

sorkyah
Not sure about the additional power.... but the reflector brackets are held on bythe brake caliper bolts
Found them shitty to remove due to a full bottle of loctite used between the 4 bolts

Beemer
I've looked into it, was looking at some nice Denali micro's for my forks but didn't buy any. Our manual said it can handle 50 extra watts.
  • Like 1

so1102
If you haven't tried one already, you would be amazed at how much light the cyclops LED throws for a mere $64. I would recommend starting there first and then see if you feel you need additional lighting.
  • Like 2

mjh937
Not sure about the additional power.... but the reflector brackets are held on bythe brake caliper bolts Found them shetty to remove due to a full bottle of loctite used between the 4 bolts

That is odd. There was no loc-tite on my bolts when I removed the reflector. 

noltz
Not sure about the additional power.... but the reflector brackets are held on bythe brake caliper bolts Found them shetty to remove due to a full bottle of loctite used between the 4 bolts

That is odd. There was no loc-tite on my bolts when I removed the reflector. 
Mine dide had a big amount of red loctite, i had to replace the bolts since they almost stripped

mjh937
@noltz, I wonder if the dealership did that. Red loc-tite makes no sense there. If it was done at the factory I would have thought they would all have it.

frabus
I have yet to install mine but I ordered the P3 lights from Skene Designs. I am also planning on installing a set of the photon blasters. Although they don't provide additional road lights I think the visibility features are a great idea.

http://www.lights.skenedesign.com/

Mr.Puss
I will be adding Bikevis bullets...as well, they dont add road illumination as much as they make you a bit more conspicuous to dum dums. They are tiny and easily mounted. Something like these are no issue for your system. Its my understanding that LEDs are pretty minimal in draw.

http://www.motorcycleinnovations.ca/BikeVis_Bullets_White_p/whitebullets.htm

• Like 1

noltz
Dealership definitely did that, since the bike came from factory without the front wheel mounted.

jeffkisthename
I've looked into it, was looking at some nice Denali micro's for my forks but didn't buy any. Our manual said it can handle 50 extra watts.

Yeah, I was looking into those. They look great for what I'm trying to achieve. In California we split lanes, so the added visibility is definitely welcoming.
  • Like 1

jeffkisthename
If you haven't tried one already, you would be amazed at how much light the cyclops LED throws for a mere $64. I would recommend starting there first and then see if you feel you need additional lighting.

I've seen those, and while I like that idea, I'm more partial to HID, but for AUX, LEDS are the preferred choice. I'm not necessarily looking into more lighting for sight, but more lighting to be visible to cagers, plus AUX driving lights would be really visible at night. I always see those adventure bike coming at night.

Beemer
I will be adding Bikevis bullets...as well, they dont add road illumination as much as they make you a bit more conspicuous to dum dums. They are tiny and easily mounted. Something like these are no issue for your system. Its my understanding that LEDs are pretty minimal in draw. 

Dude, you rock! I have been looking and looking for something like these to mount on my forks! Small/effective/cheap/50,000 hrs. I have the Cyclops and they work great but a little extra light in the turns at night/to the side to light up critters crossing (deer :-/ ) wouldn't hurt a bit and of course to get the attention of those pesky cagers at all hours. 

jeffkisthename

Dude, you rock! I have been looking and looking for something like these to mount on my forks! Small/effective/cheap/50,000 hrs. I have the Cyclops and they work great but a little extra light in the turns at night/to the side to light up critters crossing (deer :-/ ) wouldn't hurt a bit and of course to get the attention of those pesky cagers at all hours. 
There's a version 2 of those BikeVis Bullets now, and they're even brighter.  I was thinking of putting either 2 or 3 on top of one another and putting them in the intake ducts.
  • Like 1

so1102

Take it a step further and add a switch and circuit that uses bike lean angle to automatically turn on the left or right side accordingly to illuminate into a corner ;)
  • Like 3