The MT-07 Forum

600 Mile Dealer Maintenance - Is It Worth It?

Guest 2wheeler

Guest 2wheeler

So I just reached 600 miles, and the big question is: Do I take it to the dealer for their service check? I have a good friend who is a 40 year Yamaha mechanic who is telling me to just change the oil and filter, then ride the darn thing. His contention is that in the shops he has worked in that the mechanics don't do anything on the first check other than change the oil, and have an easy couple of hours that day. His line was "It's a Yamaha, and they don't screw up". This guy has worked on a lot of my bikes over the years, and it one of the best mechanics I have ever encountered.

I live in the DC area, and things aren't cheap here. I was quoted approximately $250 for the 600 miler which seems insane to me.

So what does everyone think - is it worth it? Better question yet might be what should they check as I know my way around a wrench? Lastly, while I don't think the warranty requires going to an authorized dealer, I don't know if that is true - any ideas?

Thanks

• Global Moderator

Do what it says in the owners manual. I had mine done by a local independent shop just to have someone check over everything. The only thing I could not do myself was the throttle body sync, but there is some debate about how necessary that is. I do keep my receipts so I can document everything that has been done.

You do not have to use an authorized dealer to maintain warranty support.

• Premium Member

I didn't take mine in and did everything myself because all that needs to be done is oil changed as well as a throttle body sync. I did that myself too buy the tool and a previous writeup on the board here about it. Now there is a youtube video that shows how you can do it without even taking anything apart. Do you have two eyeballs and a few hand tools? you can check for loose fairing bolts, etc on your own. Check tire pressure, chain slack and oil chain. Everyone will give their own opinion based on their comfortability. If you're comfortable, then do it yourself.

I did every service my self, but I find myself to be self sufficient. If you have any mechanical ability and tools, basic service is easy as twisting the throttle. I look at as if I have someone else to service my bike is like allowing another dude to service my girl...

And on that note I'm willing to help any fellow biker if I can!
Cool, I will send my girl to her mother's house while you're here servicing.  ;)

Beemer

Guest 2wheeler

So I did my version of a 600 mile maintenance check today. I changed the oil and filter (more on that later), adjusted the chain, and adjusted the throttle cable. I then went to the local shop and had an interesting talk with their warranty guy (used to be a mechanic there). I asked him for an off-the-record commentary on what I really needed to do with my bike for the 600 mile check-up. He pretty much said what I did. His take was similar to my mechanic buddies in that "It's a Yamaha and they don't screw up". We got talking about a throttle body sync, and his take was that if it's idling well, leave it alone. He commented that he has seen too many people, who really don't know what they are doing, screw up things badly by messing with the sync. Lastly, I asked him about the warranty versus the 600 mile check. He said that unless you blow up the bike in the warranty period, which he said you literally have to work hard to make that happen, it's never an issue. He did suggest keeping the receipt for oil and filters though, just to be safe.

After reading too many threads on oil to use in this forum, I decided to go with dino Yamalube for at least the first oil change. I may do it for the second as well. After that I'm switching to some form of semi-synthetic for the long run.

Lastly, I sorta wish I had changed my oil earlier as it was pretty gnarly to say the least. I did not see any metal shavings in it though.

Best news was that I got 4 quarts of Yamalube, a Yamaha oil filter, crush washer and a Yamaha oil filter socket for a total of $38 on a Black Friday sale at my local dealership.

• Premium Member

If you didn't see any metal shavings then nothing to worry about or wish you changes it early. The engine needed to be broke in and rings sealed. I'd you did it too early then that oil would have been contaminated quicker. Great job and now you're good to go. I got my bike in March and have 8400+ miles on it. It's been a pleasure to ride.

I've changed my oil several times in the first 1,000 miles.
I also did a hard break in. I've always done my own
Maintenance, love wrenching as much as riding.

Thought in the manual it states TB sync at like 24,000miles
Or something?! I don't have any idle issues or anything so...
Pulls like a damn freight train.

Honda Grom
CB 350

Archived