The MT-07 Forum

December 2015 Cycle World

recurveshooter

recurveshooter
Something to think about while digesting your Thanksgiving dinner.

The new Cycle World has two articles that had me really scratching my head. The release of Honda's RC213V-S at $180,000+ dollars (not a typo) and the Kawasaki H2.

I'll be brief. The Honda sold in the US will only have 101Hp at 8,000 rpm. I don't care how well integrated the rest of the bike is... that isn't Moto Gp territory. A not-available-in-the-US kit will alleviate some of the HP problem, but in the words of YODA, "Do or do not, there is no try". Sadly, Honda will probably sell every one they build.

The H2 (when you read between the lines) is a gawd-awful fast, mediocre motorcycle. Ups? It's somewhat affordable. Downs? The GWVR with a full tank only allows a 227lb carrying weight. That means that some of us on this forum probably COULDN'T ride that bike.

So, what's the point? Who is designing these things? Who are they being sold to? And THANK YOU Yamaha for building a really nice, affordable, do most things pretty darn well, motorcycle. I'm thankful for my FZ (amongst a lot of other things). Happy thanksgiving everybody.

• Global Moderator

Those are halo bikes. They are designed to show what the company can do and to get their companies in the magazines. They are not expecting to sell very many, but people may look at other Honda or Kawasaki motorcycles as a result of the publicity. Having said that I do not understand why they neutered the 213, especially at that price.

And yet years earlier Ducati built and sold the Desmosedici for far less
Was and is a potent road going replica
Honda seems out of touch with the market demands
Yamah is far more engaged

recurveshooter
Excellent points folks. I understand the HALO bike concept but with that in mind why, oh why, did HONDA neuter the 213? At it's price it needs to have no comparison. I read they wanted to be a responsible corporate entity, which I understand, but then, why do it at all?

Yes, Ducati, BMW, Aprilia and Yamaha offer bikes with similar performance at far more reasonable cost. And Yamaha, bless their corporate souls, seem dedicated to producing really nice, exciting, usable bikes. Chapeau Yamaha!

p.s. - I'm waiting to see one of these bikes (213, H2, H2R) show up in one of RNickyMouse's Mulholland Drive videos!

As far as I knew for the Honda, the reason it is so low on power is because of the exhaust. The exhaust system that comes on the bike is identical to the actual motoGP bike, so it is very loud. Honda did not want to put a different muffler system on it so they opted to keep the motoGP pipes but limit the RPMs considerably to keep the bike within noise regulations. The engine still has every capacity to have the 200+ RWP, but it is electronically limited to not go above 8000 RPM, where that 200+ power lies, because the higher the RPMs, the louder the bike, therefore not passing US noise regulation standards. That's why it is the proper power other places as well, because noise regulations aren't as strict in some parts of the world. I could be wrong about this, but this is what I thought I read the reasoning to be for the drastically underpowered US version.

As far as I knew for the Honda, the reason it is so low on power is because of the exhaust. The exhaust system that comes on the bike is identical to the actual motoGP bike, so it is very loud. Honda did not want to put a different muffler system on it so they opted to keep the motoGP pipes but limit the RPMs considerably to keep the bike within noise regulations. The engine still has every capacity to have the 200+ RWP, but it is electronically limited to not go above 8000 RPM, where that 200+ power lies, because the higher the RPMs, the louder the bike, therefore not passing US noise regulation standards. That's why it is the proper power other places as well, because noise regulations aren't as strict in some parts of the world. I could be wrong about this, but this is what I thought I read the reasoning to be for the drastically underpowered US version.
yeah, this is what Cycleworld said in the September issue," When the RC213V-S was given as much catalyzer and muffler as there was room for, it wouldn't meet sound or emissions regulations at it's own proper peak rev ceiling of 16,500 rpm. It wouldn't pass at the 13,000 rpm that you get with the $14,000 speed kit. And it wouldn't pass at 10,000. So the engineers de-rated the engine until it did pass."      The Japanese version is worse at 68 HP.

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member

Come on... who are they built for??? Those who can afford them, duh!!! Collecting, of anything, often makes no "sense." So, what? Who cares? All products are NOT developed for the lowest (or near) common denominator.

I, for one, admit that I'd buy an H2 in a minute if I already had all the 6-digit (or more) toys I wanted.

• Global Moderator

For 180k id rather get a noble m600 "with a yamaha engine"
Or a hennessey venom gt for 20k more

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

If they bought out a non neutered MotoGP3 bike I would be much more interested. 250cc single 60HP and weighs 165kg WITH rider. Wahoooooooo! I raced an RS125 honda frame with a CR85 severely tuned motor ( 28hp) and it was so much fun I couldn't stop smiling for ages after each race. It weighed 70kg WET. It was like you were going around the track at silly speeds, no bike just you... And dicing with other bikes like that is just so much insane fun , if you haven't done it you cannot imagine it.
The reason Motogp3 bikes dice like that is because they can...

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

recurveshooter
The car guys have a saying that goes something like this.... "It's a lot more fun to drive a slow car fast than to drive a fast car slow". Buy the Honda or the Kawasaki and all you're doing is driving a fast bike slow. - RS

Jeremy Clarkson said that , so make of it what you will...

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

I know guys on SV-650's and a guy on an FZ-07 who smoke big bikes on the mountain roads. When the road ahead of you is all s turns and off camber turns, a 150 or higher HP bike does you no good and in fact a lighter and lower hp bike is better and easier to throw around than a superbike.

To me, the FZ-07 and the SV-650 are the two best do it all bikes made. Unless you are drag racing or hitting nothing but high speed corners. Lightweight, suspension and good brakes are what makes you faster, not high horsepower that is useless in tight corners.

• Global Moderator
Jeremy Clarkson said that , so make of it what you will...
Jeremy clarkson is a genius.

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Check out this review of the H2 & H2R, I'd love to have a go...

Also this Y2K bike...over 320hp & 425lbft, the worlds fastest production bike

Archived