The MT-07 Forum

out to lunch....and no longer for sale

mjh937

• Global Moderator

I think you would do better returning your bike to stock as much as you can and selling the parts separately. Mods are so subjective in there "value". I for example like my bike to be on the quieter side, so the M4 would decrease the value of your bike because I would have to replace it with a stock exhaust. It is hard to find someone with the exact same taste in mods as you. Good luck if you decide to sell.

I think you would do better returning your bike to stock as much as you can and selling the parts separately. Mods are so subjective in there "value". I for example like my bike to be on the quieter side, so the M4 would decrease the value of your bike because I would have to replace it with a stock exhaust. It is hard to find someone with the exact same taste in mods as you. Good luck if you decide to sell.
I agree. Return to stock and then sell. The frame sliders,fork sliders,swingarm sliders are OK,,,,mebbe even a nice touch. 
Performance upgrades always make me think that the previous owner was harder on the bike than a Stock owner would be. (More time spent near Redline or over, etc.) May not be True, but thats always my first thought.

Also, I am unwilling to pay more for a used Bike than a New one. I dont care what kind of "Upgrades" you put on it. That makes me feel like I'm subsidizing YOUR fantasies, instead of mine.

Not Raining on your Parade,,,,,,you have a nice Machine there,,,,,just giving you my personal thought on buying anything pre-owned.

• Premium Member

I have to agree, when modding anything and then selling it's often hard to find someone who wants it exactly like you AND is willing to pay for that. Sell the parts separately and accept that you are selling USED parts and a USED bike; price accordingly, sell, and move on to your new desire. All the best!!!

right, but of all the upgrades the suspension is the real winner at a cost of $2000 new I expect. You can't really go back to OEM and it would be some rare buyer who would give those up. I would say asking for 65% of the value of the suspension is reasonable. Exhaust and Flash, probably get 40-50% of 'new'. The rest are probably a zero.

So, start with a reasonable value for a used bike (I don't know 5500?) and then add in the above.

Can I test-ride your bike?

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

scordiaboy515
right, but of all the upgrades the suspension is the real winner at a cost of $2000 new I expect. You can't really go back to OEM and it would be some rare buyer who would give those up. I would say asking for 65% of the value of the suspension is reasonable. Exhaust and Flash, probably get 40-50% of 'new'. The rest are probably a zero. 
So, start with a reasonable value for a used bike (I don't know 5500?) and then add in the above.

Can I test-ride your bike?
   You can......with cash in hand.... 

+1
Most money is in selling the bike stock, and selling the mods on the side.

Second best would be selling the modded bike as is, with stock parts for the buyer to swap out.

Personally I also want the bike as stock as possible, and couldn't care less about some of the upgrades done to it; though they are very modest; and unnoticeable to who doesn't really know the bike.

This is more of a budget bike (entry level into this kind of cc, power, etc.) so it's a tough sale to buy a modded fz07 due to the sticker shock. If I were a buyer I would be comparing the more expensive used modded fz07 with other bikes in the same theoretical price range (near $9k... Triumph street triple, some ducati). I think it's best to part out as much as possible. Otherwise you take the hit on an otherwise brand new bike. If it were me I would just stick with the fz07... This just sounds like a lot of work, financial loss, or both! Best of luck

'15 FZ-09 Cadmium Yellow
'15 White Fz-07 - Sold

• Premium Member

FWIW, I'd trade you my forks for yours, plus a little cash if The price was good for us both. The springs may need replacement for my weight so I'd have to consider that.

Everything went braap.

Our FEEDBACK was not meant to be Negative......

You asked for our opinions and we gave them to you,,,,,freely.

I'm guessing we didn't say what you wanted to hear?

That Happens Sometimes......

".....never thought I would receive so much negative feedback......blah blah blah blah...."

You got honest feedback, and you didn't like it? What kind of feedback would you have preferred?

I can understand if you're frustrated over your bike not selling, most would feel the same way but the market is a tricky thing and maybe it will be better after the holidays. I wish you the best of luck!

Beemer

• Premium Member

I'm late to this thread, which has been obviously modified and all context lost, but let me see if I can summarize based upon what I've seen here: :)

"Hey guys I'm thinking of selling my bike. It has all these cool mods that I put on it. Because I've invested so much additional money and time in these mods, I think it is worth $x (where x may have been >= MSRP for a new bike with 0 miles). What are your thoughts?"

(several comment suggesting similar things):
- mods are a sunk cost and don't really increase the value of a used bike to most buyers
- mods won't necessarily make your bike attractive to a prospective buyer unless you get very lucky and the buyer has the exact same taste in mods as you
- mods may in fact severely limit your ability to sell the bike
- you may have more success returning the bike to stock as much as possible and selling the mods separately and individually
- you may just need to come to terms with the fact that you will have lost money in the end (a bike is a lot like a boat -- you just throw money at them and they almost never appreciate in value)

"Wow everyone made negative comments"

Did I get it right? :D

Seriously though -- even though I'm coming across as incredibly flippant here (and I know it), the guys here were just trying to be helpful and honest. Sometimes it may not be what you wanted to hear, but what you needed to hear instead.

• Premium Member
snowdriftless

Lots of Ideas to help you get your bike sold here. When you buy any vehicle new you will be saddled with most of the depreciation. A bikes value drops much more between showroom new and 500 miles then between 6000 and 6500 miles.

I don't think you need to remove all of them but again the appearance should be stock. The mods you have can't be counted at full value either. Take the average price of other comparable (Stock and similar mileage) FZ-07s in your area and divide that value by 6990. Add up the cost of all your mods (Not including shipping) and multiply that by the percentage you got from the prior sentence. That should give you the max you should add to the asking price over the common used value. I generally agree that mods are a sunk cost, they make sense if you plan on keeping the bike. But not everyone will value the changes you made as much as you do.

P1: Vice? I have no vice, I'm as pure as the driven snow!
P2: Yeah but you've been drifting

All the gear all the time!

• Premium Member

"negative feedback," huh? As I recall you initally ASKED something like, what would it be worth. People tried to answer your question, most in a way to help with selling your bike... sheeeeesh!

• Premium Member

Im not even going to offer my two cents on this one, not to mention I'm fresh out of my special double sided "Hurt Feelings" reports for you to fill out.

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

bmwpowere36m3

I'm surprised people haven't realized this yet... mods are highly subjective and buyers typically don't value them [like you do]. Unless you wait for just the right buyer interested in your exact mods and willing to pay.

Just spend the time, return the more expensive bits to stock, sell then separately, sell bike, take loss and move on with life.

Archived