The MT-07 Forum

ADVENTURE BIKE TIRES ANYONE?

recurveshooter

recurveshooter
Where I live there are so many hard packed dirt roads I could be riding. Nothing very technical but the Michelin Pilot's just don't cut it. Is anyone running any adventure bike tires on their FZ? I'm thinking something like Conti TKC80's etc. How's it working for you, and what sizes are you running? How are they on pavement and what kind of mileage do you think you will get? Thanks

recurveshooter

http://www.pirelli.com/tyres/en-ww/motorcycle/all-tyres/sheet/mt-60-rs
Have a look at these. I used a version on my Suzuki DRZ400SM and they were pretty useable ( not brilliant on road but passable) and come in a direct replacement size. Big problem will be preventing damage to the lower front stuff and pipe.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

• Premium Member
snowdriftless

I have seen a few FZ-07s with TKC 80s on them. It can be done but I don't know how well they work. As far as protection, you can get a skidplate for the '07 HERE, Radiator Guard and some form of case/frame protection is advised. I've been wanting to do this with my motorcycle and take it on the Trans-Wisconsin Adventure Trail which conveniently starts a few miles from my house and ends a few miles from my grandpas cabin. 

P1: Vice? I have no vice, I'm as pure as the driven snow!
P2: Yeah but you've been drifting

All the gear all the time!

recurveshooter
Thanks. When I lived in the mountains I had a Ducati 750ss that I commuted on. That bike had the front cylinder sticking straight forward, the exhaust pointing straight down, and a little oil cooler that sat unprotected directly behind the front wheel. I had to ride it on a dirt road to my house 3 miles round trip and never had a problem. The road was smooth hard pack and I kept my speed down. No problems. Thanks again

• Premium Member

It sounds to me like you'd be much better off with a bike dedicated to this purpose, but just my nickel's worth.

recurveshooter
@ gregjett- Thanks. Except for the wear issues these look very good. I put almost 1000 miles a month on my bike. They get nice reviews everywhere.

@ avanti - Yeah, I agree.... in a perfect world.... but money being what it is? My bike is used for transportation and as such is ridden 40 miles round trip to work at least a few times a week. The route I take uses a major 65mph highway and really isn't much fun. With these tires I could take the back roads, only increase my distance traveled by a few miles, and start my day in a much more relaxed manner.

recurveshoter

They do wear reasonably quickly but at least will stick on wet bitumen ( reasonably well). I had the less sticky version and they lasted well in the dirt/tarmac use.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

Archived