The MT-07 Forum

Dainese Scout Evo Gloves, I need to increase the warmth.

motocr

I bought a pair of Dainese Scout Evo Gloves for my winter riding however theres a cold front moving through and I do not think these gloves will work on my trip tomorrow night. its only 51 F tonight and I went riding around to visit a friend and did not really get above 45 mph and noticed my hands were getting cold. Cold as in my responses were a little strained because they were going numbish/ blood flow was slowing. Now above 58 I have never had a problem with these gloves I actually really like them, however tomorrow its going to be around 30 degrees all day and night and I have to ride 4 hours on the highway to visit family. I do not have time to buy a new pair of gloves nor the money and I need a way to increase my heat retention. I have a good jacket and boots, I am layering my pants and a shirt or two for my jacket so thats covered. I have read a few things here and there about using Latex gloves with your normal gloves to improve heat retention and I am considering this any tips or advice? 

fooschnickens

Latex gloves can help a bit, but if you have sweaty hands they may do more harm than good.

I'd look at finding some glove liners. Any sporting goods or camping store should have some. They may be thin but can really help out and aren't that expensive.

Apart from that, leave as early as possible and if you feel like you're going numb pull over for a minute and warm your hands back up. No shame in utilizing those easy-access exhaust pipes. ;)

Latex gloves can help a bit, but if you have sweaty hands they may do more harm than good. 
I'd look at finding some glove liners. Any sporting goods or camping store should have some. They may be thin but can really help out and aren't that expensive.

Apart from that, leave as early as possible and if you feel like you're going numb pull over for a minute and warm your hands back up. No shame in utilizing those easy-access exhaust pipes. ;)

Unfortunately it's hight of 47 low of 27 and just getting colder after I get off work so it'll be in the 30s regardless of when I leave haha. I'll look into the glove warmers though thanks!

recurveshooter
Hands are a huge issue for me. Here in Colorado I will occasionally have to ride into work in sub 40degree weather... for about 40 minutes.... with 20 minutes being at 65mph. I can spend the money but I have to be convinced that which ever way I chose to go works for me. So, Barkbuster style mitts over the controls, or heated grips, or winter riding gloves. or electric gloves? The heated grips are a little bit of a pain to install and I wonder what they will do for the part of my hands that face into the wind. Electric gloves seem slick but very pricey. I've had poor results from most winter style gloves (ski? snow mobile?). Of all the possibilities the BarkBuster Blizzard mitt/handguards seem like they might be worth looking at. Anybody use these? Any other thoughts?

recurveshooter

fooschnickens

I know some handguards will be my next big bike purchase. After doing a Yamaha test ride on a Super Tenere with them I was sold on the idea. Even my summer-weight AStar Alloy gloves were plenty even in overcast 50° weather at 45mph+

I know you don't want to spend any money but I have these lithium-ion glove liners that I use on cold rides as well as when shoveling snow on cold days, etc. - they're not cheap at $220 USD with 2 batteries but for anyone with low circulation to the fingers, they're worth it!

http://powerinmotion.ca/Products/HeatedWear/Heated_Gloves_Calgary_Toronto_Vancouver_Canada

Current ride = 2014 Moto Guzzi California 1400 Custom

So guys I found these at Walmarthttp://www.walmart.com/ip/21977799?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222228015877760&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=m&wl3=82711852689&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=141026705049&veh=sem

Seems they are used as warmers in gloves for golf, ski and snowboarding ima give em a try they are a dollar for one so if it lasts half of what they are supposed to them plus latex gloves should do the trick, I'll let you guys know how warm they are when I buy them ima buy an extra to try

fooschnickens

Just be careful with them, they're not supposed to go directly against your skin for very long and can give you some pretty nasty chemical burns.

I would try adding some thin, low volume liners to that glove you already have. If the knit gloves they sell at the hardware stores don't cramp your fit, those would work too. The next step would be some kind of bark buster grip shield.

I haven't tried using latex gloves. I would only consider wearing them over a liner glove. And will give it a whirl when conditions are cold enough over here.

http://www.revzilla.com/search?query=glove+liners&commit=Search

^^^^ Some of these are a lot thinner and fit better than the knit liners you find at the big box hardware stores.

Just be careful with them, they're not supposed to go directly against your skin for very long and can give you some pretty nasty chemical burns.

My 4 hour trip is right at 6 hrs now, I tried latex gloves they actually made my hands colder not because I had sweaty hands I couldn't even get then in the glove I tired putting them over to just block the wind but no luck, the hand warmers did not get any where near warm enough to cause a burn they did keep my palms warm but not my fingers, I bought a pair of gloves at a gas station and have both them and these on and have gone 55 most of the way and still freezing cold. Looks like I'm going to be buying something to help if I can find a store at my family's town.

bmwpowere36m3

4+ hrs in sub-50s... yeah, I'll take a car every time. At 30-40*F at free-way speeds you really need wind protection + heat (barkbuster and heat grips/gloves).

For me, leather gloves + liners are only good down to 50*F and still slightly uncomfortable on the freeway.

4+ hrs in sub-50s... yeah, I'll take a car every time. At 30-40*F at free-way speeds you really need wind protection + heat (barkbuster and heat grips/gloves). 
For me, leather gloves + liners are only good down to 50*F and still slightly uncomfortable on the freeway.

Yeah looks like I'm going to make a makeshift hand gaurd for the ride back, luckily it'll be in the 50s when I go back.

Hands are a huge issue for me. Here in Colorado I will occasionally have to ride into work in sub 40degree weather... for about 40 minutes.... with 20 minutes being at 65mph. I can spend the money but I have to be convinced that which ever way I chose to go works for me. So, Barkbuster style mitts over the controls, or heated grips, or winter riding gloves. or electric gloves? The heated grips are a little bit of a pain to install and I wonder what they will do for the part of my hands that face into the wind. Electric gloves seem slick but very pricey. I've had poor results from most winter style gloves (ski? snow mobile?). Of all the possibilities the BarkBuster Blizzard mitt/handguards seem like they might be worth looking at. Anybody use these? Any other thoughts? 
recurveshooter

I just went ahead and ordered some bark buster universal 7/8 or 1 inch hand gaurd they will be in wensday and I'll let you know how they work after my ride back. I was on the fence about heated grips, heated gloves liner or hand gaurd and figured the hand gaurd will stop the wind blast and that's where the heat loss is from. I talked to some fellow riders and they explained it to me like this

"If you wear your gloves outside in the cold and your fingers and hands are warm until you get going on the bike the wind is your main problem so deflecting it is going to do the best job at preventing the cold. The second thing to do is add a layer to your gloves or a thermal liner of sorts and a heat pack if need be."

Archived