The MT-07 Forum

Woodcraft 1.5" Clip-Ons Installed

jeffkisthename

I wish people would stop posting pics of Woodcrafts. I CAN"T AFFORD THEM!!!!!!!!!! and I want them....a lot.....
I think I have Woodcraftaphillia.
They just look sooo right...

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

• Premium Member

How are they in the up position? I don't want too aggressive and dig the lessened width of these
Up position is not too aggressive, but is definitely lower than stock and more comfortable on the wrists as well due to the angle of the bars. I also like the way it sits closer to the gauge instead of the gauge sitting WAY up and away from the bars in the down position. I'm using the 1" risers tho.
0d907434c52c4dfdeed7d2bdc4d31797.jpg
  • Like 3

booboobusfz07

That's dope. Thanks dude. I'd probably go with the 1.5. But I could always get new risers.
Think it would work w a gen x touring screen?
How much narrower is it?

• Premium Member

That's dope. Thanks dude. I'd probably go with the 1.5. But I could always get new risers. Think it would work w a gen x touring screen?
How much narrower is it?
That's what's sweet about this set up is how easy it would be to swap out the risers. 1.5s would sit even higher (closer to stock) in the "up" position. Not sure about the screen. I'll be looking into getting one also. I like the way some of them look with the lower bars. I'll snap a pic of the oem bar next to the clipons when I get home to show the diff in width.

Has anyone purchases the 2 inch risers? I saw a website selling it, just wondering how they are?
You can be our test subject.

Has anyone purchases the 2 inch risers? I saw a website selling it, just wondering how they are?
You can be our test subject.
hahah, I'm getting the 1.5 inch ones, they are sold out of revzilla so I'm resorting to eBay to buy them and they also sell the 2 inch risers but I'm not sure if they would even fit right.

@warnock If you plan to point the risers downward, you cannot use larger than 1.5". If you go lower, the bars will hit the black side plastics near the yamaha logo.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

That's dope. Thanks dude. I'd probably go with the 1.5. But I could always get new risers. Think it would work w a gen x touring screen?
How much narrower is it?
9f7f39acc5b392acd793a086b0fc9ea8.jpg
Same width.

• Premium Member

Haha, I like how you totally bring your bike into your living room to work on @fzonly1!

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

• Premium Member

Haha, I like how you totally bring your bike into your living room to work on @fzonly1!
Lmao yeah my wife doesn't mind too much till the dog sniffs around and ends up with chain lube all over his head!
Mostly did it during the summer when it was 1000 degrees in the garage.

• Global Moderator
jeffkisthename

Here's what the seating position looks like with the Woodcraft Rear Sets. I'm short at 5'6" & 200 lbs. (Kind of husky I know...).

Normal riding position

DSC_0295.jpg

Tuck Riding Position

DSC_0296.jpg

Oh Crap, what's that up ahead Riding Position

DSC_0297.jpg

Enjoy riding my fellow FZ-MT owners, and be safe out there!!!

DSC_0299.jpg

• Like 6

SigSide.jpg

Nice pictures Jeff, we are of similar measurements so they give me a good reference lol
Have you put some miles on the rearsets? Do you feel they improve your riding? thoughts?

• Global Moderator
jeffkisthename
Nice pictures Jeff, we are of similar measurements so they give me a good reference lol Have you put some miles on the rearsets? Do you feel they improve your riding? thoughts?
I've put about 60 miles on them this weekend, and I have to say that they compliment the Woodcraft Clip-ons completely.  I feel more comfortable and in a much more natural sitting position for the clip-on bars. I no longer feel awkward and it is much easier for me to hug the bike with my legs.

SigSide.jpg

Actually the angle between your lower leg and upper leg looks a bit too acute in the cruising position. Should be closer to 90deg for comfort and reaction. Watch for cramping. In the agressive position it looks better but a bit strained overall, like the pegs should be a bit lower and a bit furthur back for you to be in a neutral position, and your bars too high. Forearm should be level. Still you can't ride like that for long anyway.

• Like 1

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

• Global Moderator
jeffkisthename
Actually the angle between your lower leg and upper leg looks a bit too acute in the cruising position. Should be closer to 90deg for comfort and reaction. Watch for cramping. In the agressive position it looks better but a bit strained overall, like the pegs should be a bit lower and a bit furthur back for you to be in a neutral position, and your bars too high. Forearm should be level. Still you can't ride like that for long anyway.

I'm sitting on the bike with a kickstand on the ground LOL give me a break haha. My feet are not actually in the placement I normally put them in, and my wife didn't want to come out to take this photo cuz it was chilly out. I had to be fast, so it was a super quick couple of photos haha.

Hey, what do you consider a long ride? I will be commuting this setup for the first time tomorrow. Also, I will take your advice on my posture, because honestly, this is my first bike, and all I knew was the standard position, so any advice from a veteran rider is good advice.

SigSide.jpg

• Global Moderator
jeffkisthename
Actually the angle between your lower leg and upper leg looks a bit too acute in the cruising position. Should be closer to 90deg for comfort and reaction. Watch for cramping.

Will pay attention to this tomorrow. I commute about 110 miles to and from work, and no cramping with stock setup ever, except sore ass, because of the seat. Furthest I've rode with new setup was over the weekend for 60 miles, but just over 20 miles per trip one way. And random short trips for the rest.

In the agressive position it looks better but a bit strained overall, like the pegs should be a bit lower and a bit furthur back for you to be in a neutral position, and your bars too high.

I have not rode in the agressive position much, only on the freeway once in a while to hide behind my windshield. Stupid wind.

Forearm should be level. Still you can't ride like that for long anyway.

I've actually been paying attention to my arms a bit since the new bars to see if they themselves fatigue more. So far, so good, and less numbness in my right hand. My right hand used to go numb with the stock bars.

SigSide.jpg

• Premium Member

My hands used to go numb with stock bars also. Doesn't happen with the woodcraft setup.

@jeffkisthename For the first two weeks or so after getting the woodcraft bars, my lower back would start to hurt a lot after about 30 minutes. But it's been getting better and better. This last weekend, I rode about 200 miles with someone and didn't have any issues with my lower back. I guess the muscles back there are just getting used to the extra strain.

On an unrelated note, I ran over some wet leaves in a parking lot and dropped the bike, and my left bar snapped. Sucky! Luckily it was just the tip so I could still ride (minus one bar-end mirror), but still annoying. Replacement bar from woodcraft was only 15 bucks though.

• Premium Member

@jeffkisthename For the first two weeks or so after getting the woodcraft bars, my lower back would start to hurt a lot after about 30 minutes. But it's been getting better and better. This last weekend, I rode about 200 miles with someone and didn't have any issues with my lower back. I guess the muscles back there are just getting used to the extra strain. 
On an unrelated note, I ran over some wet leaves in a parking lot and dropped the bike, and my left bar snapped. Sucky! Luckily it was just the tip so I could still ride (minus one bar-end mirror), but still annoying. Replacement bar from woodcraft was only 15 bucks though.
Sucks you dropped the bike! How fast were you moving? At least with the woodcraft bars you can simply replace one bar instead of the whole thing.
I went thru an ass load of acorns mid corner turning on to my street around this time last year and felt the front sliiiiide a pretty good ways before gettin grip again. Puckered my b-hole pretty good on that one. I would've felt extra foolish eatin it right in front of my neighbors house. Lol.

• Premium Member

@tylerjanebr, sorry to hear you dropped the bike. Sounds like you're ok though, which is the most important thing. I do like the fact with the Woodcrafts you can just replace the parts you need without having to get a whole new set.

- Paulie

• Like 1

How long did it take you guys to install the clip one? It's going to be nice this weekend, and i dont know if it'll take majority of the day to install or not? Thanks

• Like 1

• Premium Member

How long did it take you guys to install the clip one? It's going to be nice this weekend, and i dont know if it'll take majority of the day to install or not? Thanks
It's a fairly quick install. Taking everything apart is always quick. Aligning everything and drilling holes for the bar took a little bit more time. Sometimes taking the grips off and fighting that glue in there can be fun too. I used a screw driver to separate the grip from the bar. Worked well. I'd say it took me an hour, to an hour and a half. Could have been done quicker but I was on Daddy duty off and on during the install.
I lined everything up first and then started applying thread lock one bolt at a time. If you start early you shouldn't miss any riding time.
  • Like 2

It took me less than an hour. Hardest part of disassembly was removing the left grip. But like @fzonly1, I also used a screwdriver to separate it from the bar and just kept working at it and eventually it came off. Drilling the holes is easy; just use the stock bar as a reference; put various drill bits into the old holes until you get the best fit, then drill them so that they are at a comparable position to where they are on the old bars. Then reassembly was easy, it just took a bit of fiddling around to get everything into just the right position.  
Overall, install was a lot easier than I thought it was going to be. 
  • Like 3