The MT-07 Forum

How to disconnect battery

luke325i

So, i plan on disconnecting my battery for 2 months and keep it on a battery tender every other week. Can i just pull these 2 fuses to easily disconnect/reconnect the battery?

cbf59771760fc5b264260f760eaac824.jpg

Well. That was embarrassing.

The fuses kill power to the bike, so i pulled them. No power to bike verified.
I removed the key and made sure killswitch was OFF

Connected my charger to those 2 terminals and guess what, they are hardwired directly to the starter for some fucked up reason. I had the bike in first gear and it lunged forward and dropped the bike on my leg.

Luckily no damage to the bike, except a scratch on the kickstand.

Hell of a way to drop a bike for the first time. I feel like there should be a warning on those terminals, they seem like a great spot to pop a charger onto.

Embarrassing...

bmwpowere36m3

If you're going to charge it every two weeks or so… don't bother disconnecting the battery. I throw a battery tender on my vehicles once a month that are stored. The cold doesn't kill the battery, as long as it doesn't freeze. Actually the cooler it is, the slower a battery discharges. Not "running" the bike for periods of time is what really kills the battery since there's always some draw and it isn't being regularly charged, like when you're riding more frequently.

Get a service manual, those are listed as the starter motor leads. Just pull the battery out or keep the battery tender leads on the battery and plug it in when u want.

bmwpowere36m3

Luckily no real damage… yes that's the starter relay, so 12V applied there will engage the starter. Everyone has different "experience", but generally you attach the charger leads directly to the battery terminals (granted you don't have to). Their right there [battery terminals]… just the positive is covered with the red plastic shield.

in hindsight i realised it was a stupid @#$@# thing to do, my leg reminds me of that every time i move it. It was just so convenient to plug the charger onto those terminals, i could see the 2 leads going straight from the battery to that terminal, then 2 fuses to break the link to the rest of the bike.

at least i know the signals and mirrors will survive if bike tips over, not even a scratch. Pisses me off though :(

god damn it.

Study-up on how the electric starter system on your bike works, and then it will all make sense to you.

That relay is what switches the battery's electrical power to the starter motor, and that relay is remotely activated by the switch on the handlebar near the throttle grip.
This is because the battery's considerable power would fry the small switch near the handlebar, so a beefier, remotely-activated relay is used to do the switching.
Notice the heavy-gauge wires attached to that relay and the small-gauge wires going to the handlebar switch.

• Premium Member

I put a small charger harness on my battery and it was just long enough to run into the under the passenger seat box. That way I just pop the passenger seat with the key and plug it into the charger. I keep it plugged in whenever I park it in the winter, because it's usually a long time between rides.:(

Why can't left turners see us?

I put a small charger harness on my battery and it was just long enough to run into the under the passenger seat box. That way I just pop the passenger seat with the key and plug it into the charger. I keep it plugged in whenever I park it in the winter, because it's usually a long time between rides.:(
Ditto....I think this is the easiest solution. The harness stays connected all the time. No need to remove the bolted down main seat. Just pop the passenger seat and connect the harness to the battery tender. If you want to get simpler, feed the harness out from under the seat and strap it down to the frame so you don't even have to remove the passenger seat to connect it. 

• Premium Member

If you get the quick connect harness, then you can also get the USB adapter so you can have a USB power source readily available if needed. (the adapter has a slight power draw though, so you may not want to leave it on the harness for extended periods if not being used).

Bummer about the drop - but always good when a fail doesn't end up requiring repairs.

• Premium Member
Yeah, that's how I ran mine, blends right in. 

That's pretty slick, but as often as I use mine, I prefer to have it under the passenger seat to protect it from the elements. It takes up no space, and is still very handy.

Why can't left turners see us?

• Global Moderator

There's also the optipn of getting a Shorai LiFePo4 battery.
I say screw the battery tenders.. just start it up every morning to the dismay of your neighbors(I like to think of it as a neighborly alarm clock.)

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

If your going to disconnect the battery just do the black negative side no reason to bother with the
positive, if your going to put a connector for a charger on then get a cheap 24 hour timer and use
that to turn the charger on for a hour a day and that will keep the battery happy.

It does not charge at idle .. needs to be ridden, so just starting it wont benefit the battery.

There's also the optipn of getting a Shorai LiFePo4 battery. I say screw the battery tenders.. just start it up every morning to the dismay of your neighbors(I like to think of it as a neighborly alarm clock.)

fooschnickens
Yeah, that's how I ran mine, blends right in. 

That's pretty slick, but as often as I use mine, I prefer to have it under the passenger seat to protect it from the elements. It takes up no space, and is still very handy.

I've ridden through several storms and had it sitting out through a couple as well, no issues shorting out and the weather cap does a good job of keep the elements out. 

• Global Moderator
It does not charge at idle .. needs to be ridden, so just starting it wont benefit the battery. 

There's also the optipn of getting a Shorai LiFePo4 battery. I say screw the battery tenders.. just start it up every morning to the dismay of your neighbors(I like to think of it as a neighborly alarm clock.)

Checked idle voltage at 13.6 @3500 voltage kicks up to around 14.2.

• Premium Member

I just did the old "battery tender pigtail under the pillion seat" trick. Works like a charm and is completely hidden when not in use.

Checking my org battery I get
12.46 V before starting after standing in a cold garage for a week.
14.2 just after start up at the normal 1750 rpm fast tick over
13.92 at the normal warm 1100 rpm tick over
just raising this to about 1750 brings it back to 14.2
A clip on amp meter says a 5 amp charge at 1100 rpm but they are not the most reliable of instruments.
even my 40 odd year old morini with a 100W alternator gets to 14.2V at 3000 rpm with lights on but does
not charge at tick over.

Is this to say you're the cock of the block?!  ;)

Beemer

• Global Moderator

Is this to say you're the cock of the block;)

Nope... the 4th runner up perhaps...
There's a guy behind us that likes to fire off his .45 every now and then around 0200
there's a guy down the road that leads to fire up his race boat...doesn't matter what time of the day
Then theres the fart can hondas that the highschoolers mod for looks and sound....
Id say my yoshi is a bit tame compared to a supercharged 454 race motor.

Is this to say you're the cock of the block;)
Nope... the 4th runner up perhaps... There's a guy behind us that likes to fire off his .45 every now and then around 0200
there's a guy down the road that leads to fire up his race boat...doesn't matter what time of the day
Then theres the fart can hondas that the highschoolers mod for looks and sound....
Nah, it's not about who's the loudest. If you're up every morning and waking them like a rooster and causing them to lose sleep then you're the cock of the block. Just be careful of the guy with the .45. 

[attachment id=1119" thumbnail="1]

Beemer

• Global Moderator
Nope... the 4th runner up perhaps... There's a guy behind us that likes to fire off his .45 every now and then around 0200
Nah, it's not about who's the loudest. If you're up every morning and waking them like a rooster and causing them to lose sleep then you're the cock of the block. Just be careful of the guy with the .45. 

[attachment thumbnail=1" id="1119]

They lose sleep anyway with the farm vehicles...
And the neighbor with the .45 doesnt acare me much... his stray bullets do occasionally though
I shoot competitively S&W M&P Pro Comp 9mm
As well as GSSF comp

Archived