The MT-07 Forum

Has anyone used this tail tidy?

AlbatrossCafe

AlbatrossCafe
Cant you just mount the license plate a bit higher to reduce the gap?
I could, but I decided I don't like how the far down the piece hangs down anyway. I just decided to go with the Yoshimura because of the cool LED plate lights it has as well. Money is only money, not like losing an extra $70 is gonna destroy my life lol 

Cant you just mount the license plate a bit higher to reduce the gap?
I could, but I decided I don't like how the far down the piece hangs down anyway. I just decided to go with the Yoshimura because of the cool LED plate lights it has as well. Money is only money, not like losing an extra $70 is gonna destroy my life lol
IKR! I used to spend that much every Saturday night playing pool at Slick Willie's. No biggie.

Beemer

• Premium Member

Good to know... I ride rain/shine so that could get a little annoying. Though even the massive stock one does seemingly nothing to block any splash from the rear tire. 
I am starting to not like the gap this one has. I might have to suck it up and go with the yoshimura...

Go ahead and waste your money, or simply cover the gap.

I cut the top off the plastic part of the massive, unwieldy, fender so it looks stock(ish).

The original top even has a small pass-through for your signal and plate lights' wires.

Mine's just like that but I wanted front & rear LED's so I got this one (with cool LED plate lights) on Ebay for $69.99 .... and the turn signals are plenty bright enough in the day time in case anyone questions them. So far no problems with dirt or rain.

FZ 07 FZ-07 MT 07 MT-07 Yamaha Fender eliminator Tail Tidy 2013 -2016 BLACK 4T/S.

[attachment id=1116" thumbnail="1]

Beemer

• 1 month later...
Mine's just like that but I wanted front & rear LED's so I got this one (with cool LED plate lights) on Ebay for $69.99 .... and the turn signals are plenty bright enough in the day time in case anyone questions them. So far no problems with dirt or rain. 
FZ 07 FZ-07 MT 07 MT-07 Yamaha Fender eliminator Tail Tidy 2013 -2016 BLACK 4T/S.

Did you have to buy the stalk adapters for the front to mount them?  What did you do about the running light for the fronts?  Last question, did you have to change the flasher relay to make them blink at a normal rate?  I have the rears in on mine but my ecu is out for a reflash so I have not had a chance to try them.

AlbatrossCafe
<abbr data-date=1451770873000 class="time" title="Jan 2, 2016 13:41:13 GMT -8">Jan 2, 2016 13:41:13 GMT -8</abbr> [span][span]e30kawi[/span][/span] said: 
Did you have to buy the stalk adapters for the front to mount them?  What did you do about the running light for the fronts?  Last question, did you have to change the flasher relay to make them blink at a normal rate?  I have the rears in on mine but my ecu is out for a reflash so I have not had a chance to try them.
I ended up going with the Yoshimura and some different LEDs than come in that set... but my advice may still apply. 
[ol type=decimal][*]I bought these stalk adapters to fit LED lights in the front stock holes and in the yoshimura bracket (which were sized for stock taillights). I actually bought 4 extra sets by accident so if you plan on getting them you could PM me and I could just mail you mine and save you $3 lol. They fit fine in front but to fit in them in the Yoshimura in the back I had to grind them down a bit with an angle grinder
[*]I don't like running lights on the fronts. Most aftermarket LED signals are not built to be running lights. I just taped off the running light wire and only have front signal lights now
[*]Yes, if you replace any stock light at all (only fronts, only rear, or both) with LED ones, you will have to buy a flasher relay to make them blink at the normal rate of 60 blinks per second. Otherwise they blink fast.
[/ol]

Yes, I paid like $15 for the adapters. You could make your own easily in a machine shop if one is available. They are just flat and sorta oval shape, (bigger on one end) like the shape of the well they sit in and a hole drilled into it on one end for the stem to pass thru. The front LED's don't act as running lights but I knew that before I bought them. I did remedy that recently with a sweet, 'super secret private deal' and will be mounting DRL LED's in place of the front LED turn signals. I didn't change my blinker relay, they have been proven to be more noticeable when they blink faster so I left them alone, saved a little money.

Beemer

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought a yoshimura tail eliminator kit with some new turn signals. Does anyone know if all of the connectors are the same for Yamaha's? The closest year I can find for Yamaha models 2012. I think I'd prefer to use connectors rather than having to solder wires. Also looking for spacers or something to cover the holes in the tail tidy kit. Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated.

AlbatrossCafe
I just bought a yoshimura tail eliminator kit with some new turn signals. Does anyone know if all of the connectors are the same for Yamaha's? The closest year I can find for Yamaha models 2012. I think I'd prefer to use connectors rather than having to solder wires. Also looking for spacers or something to cover the holes in the tail tidy kit. Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated.
[ol type=decimal][*]These are the "spacers" that I used with my Yoshimura: http://www.motodynamic.com/yamaha/turn-signal-adapters.html .  You will have to buy two sets for both front and back. They allow 95% of aftermarket LEDs (which usually have a much narrower "stalk" type attachment) to fit in the holes in the Yoshimura which were built for the stock lights. Be aware - these fit perfectly in the front, but were just a touch too big in the Yoshimura holes. I used an angle grinder to grind down their size just a bit to make them fit. This took ~8 minutes for both and you can't see any evidence of it in the end product.[*]What do you mean "the closest year i can find for yamaha models 2012"? Are you looking for turn signals that are specifically built for a Yamaha? If true, IMHO you shouldn't limit your search based on that. Almost all of the aftermarket LED lights you find will come as just wires with no connector. And almost all of them will work on the FZ. I would say pick what you think looks good. I didn't solder my connections - I used crimp connectors e.g. the red ones from this pack. That way, if I messed up, it would be easy to rip out the wire and try again. [/ol]

[ol type=decimal][*]These are the "spacers" that I used with my Yoshimura: http://www.motodynamic.com/yamaha/turn-signal-adapters.html .  You will have to buy two sets for both front and back. They allow 95% of aftermarket LEDs (which usually have a much narrower "stalk" type attachment) to fit in the holes in the Yoshimura which were built for the stock lights. Be aware - these fit perfectly in the front, but were just a touch too big in the Yoshimura holes. I used an angle grinder to grind down their size just a bit to make them fit. This took ~8 minutes for both and you can't see any evidence of it in the end product.[*]What do you mean "the closest year i can find for yamaha models 2012"? Are you looking for turn signals that are specifically built for a Yamaha? If true, IMHO you shouldn't limit your search based on that. Almost all of the aftermarket LED lights you find will come as just wires with no connector. And almost all of them will work on the FZ. I would say pick what you think looks good. I didn't solder my connections - I used crimp connectors e.g. the red ones from this pack. That way, if I messed up, it would be easy to rip out the wire and try again. [/ol]

Awesome. Thank you. I was looking at connectors and it brought up Yamaha model years and it only went to 2012. But I figured almost all Yamaha modes used the same connectors. But I will just use the crimp connectors you provided in the link. Thanks for the very helpful post. Now I can get rid of that hideous fender.

AlbatrossCafe
Awesome. Thank you. I was looking at connectors and it brought up Yamaha model years and it only went to 2012. But I figured almost all Yamaha modes used the same connectors. But I will just use the crimp connectors you provided in the link. Thanks for the very helpful post. Now I can get rid of that hideous fender.
For the connectors, I would recommend just getting them at a hardware or auto parts store. For front and back + plate lights you need theoretically "10" total, but I probably went through 16-20 or so due to errors or the wires coming out of the crimp while I was fumbling around. You can get a pack of 25 or so red-only ones for like $12. 
Also, after you do the crimping and you are 100% POSITIVE that everything is correct, make sure you wrap the connections in electrical tape to help seal against moisture.

For the connectors, I would recommend just getting them at a hardware or auto parts store. For front and back + plate lights you need theoretically "10" total, but I probably went through 16-20 or so due to errors or the wires coming out of the crimp while I was fumbling around. You can get a pack of 25 or so red-only ones for like $12. 
Also, after you do the crimping and you are 100% POSITIVE that everything is correct, make sure you wrap the connections in electrical tape to help seal against moisture.

Thank you so much for the help. You've been very helpful. I will definitely use this!!!

• Global Moderator

Heat shrink and a proper crimp tool are recommended... if you're not planning on soldering that is.
If soldering then heat shrink your solder joint

home depot sells the crimp tool for 15 bucks and the splice connectors for around the same(50pack), a soldering gun for 15-20 and heat shrink with adhesive for around 10(5ft)

also.... GET THE PROPER GAUGE CONNECTORS....
An 18ga connector will not hold to a 22 ga wire

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Archived