paulibiker

THE SV650 IS BACK!

Cruizin
wow, I didn't see that coming.

mjh937
I like the looks of that. It is not much heavier than the FZ-07. I was looking at the Gladius before the -07 was announced. If the SV650 was out then I probably would have bought one. I am very happy with how things worked out though.
  • Like 2

prediddy
Wow, looks almost exactly like FZ07 but with a round headlight... The SV650 (original) I get why it was always cited as the 'standard' for a nice bike, especially for folks just starting out riding. But now frankly it feels like the "naked twin" market is a little overloaded with every manufacturer offering at least one bike in that range, if not multiple options in some cases.

As a consumer I'm always happy to have more options, but truthfully it seems a little curious of a business move for Suzuki.

mjh937
I think Suzuki made a big mistake when they discontinued the SV650. They could have had a larger share of the naked sport bike market. It does seem like they are a bit late getting back in to the game.
  • Like 2

Guest Ralph
I had one of the very first SV's and loved it never took to the Gladius
if that had been about when I got the MT I would have had a think about it
I am a sucker for anything with a V twin if it's light enough, the early
SV was more wheel'y prone than the MT.

recurveshooter
Had there been one of those sitting side by side with my FZ it would have been a difficult choice. Nice looking bike. 

recurveshooter

pattonme
I guess the SV rider forums will come back alive. It's been crickets for 5 years. I own 3 SV650 (gen1) so you could call me a fan. It didn't cost them much to put back into production but it definitely was a mistake to take all these years off. Unfortunately they didn't take the opportunity to spice it up a touch (700cc). I guess this is Suzuki's "monster" of sorts.

Guest Ralph
By all accounts the motor as had some updating it is now narrower and among other updates
has twin plug heads but I think it as had them for some time.

YZEtc
Looks like a restyled SVF650 Gladius (minus the stupid-looking plastic and one-piece footpeg mounts and with a different muffler).
It does look a lot better just because the Gladius looked so dumb.

My 2007 SV650K7 had twin-plug heads.

snowdriftless
I bet it was pretty easy to justify. I feel like Suzuki moves in smaller steps than other companies. I liked the look of the SV650S and SV650SF and probably would've gotten one if I learned to ride motorcycles while I was in college but now that the FZ-07 is out I see no need to.

fooschnickens
It might be too little too late. It's been too long since the SV was on the market, and they alienated so many diehards with the gladius that it'll be tough to win them back. There's a gladius that's been sitting on the floor at my local dealer for years, I've seen them try to push it but people always went with something else. Too heavy, less power than other bikes in its class, uninspired design and a pricetag sometimes $1500 more than its closest competitor... A tough sell, indeed.

Who knows, maybe they got it right and we'll see a resurgence. An SV was top of my list for many years while waiting to get a bike.

Beemer
Looks nice, before I knew about the FZ-07 I wanted an SV650 but even the used ones were high priced and hard to come by, at least where I live. If this bike turns out to be better than the FZ-07 I'm not going to get my panties in a bunch, this is standard "leap frog" and before long Yamaha or another maker will out-do this Suzuki and the race for the [HASH]1 spot will remain strong. I'm just thankful they don't upgrade models as often as they do video cards. I can't eeeeven keep up with the gaming rat race!

ShiftHer
Looks and sounds like a nice bike. Like many others, I was also going between an SV and an FZ when looking for a bike this summer. I sat on an SV and it was soooo heavy. Then I rode the FZ-07 and was like... yes, this is what I need in my life. :D

Guest Ralph
What every they do I think that they will have to under cut the 07
to make it sell, at least here in the UK, cant see many plying more
for what will be seen as a 20 year old design, My SV was one of the very
first and it's still running round saw it only a few weeks back, only
thing I could see that had been changed was the exhaust so it had lasted well.