The MT-07 Forum

So I have an idea . . . (Magnetic Tank Bag)

travisaurusrex

travisaurusrex

I've seen magnetic tank bags before and I'm super jealous since we have plastic tanks.  A magnetic tank bag seems like such an elegant and convenient luggage solution.  I have an idea, but I don't have a bag to test this with so I'm looking for some feedback before I invest in any experiments.

Here's my idea:

I want to glue(?) some strong magnets to the inside of the plastic tank panels so that a magnetic tank bag will attach to the tank.

As I see it, there are some possible risks
[span]    [/span]- the magnets could be too strong and crack the plastic.
[span]    [/span]- the magnets could be not strong enough and the bag would fall off (possibly at speed).
[span]    - the magnets could interfere with something under the tank.[/span]
[span]    
Of course, maybe it would work.

Any thoughts?  Has anyone else tried this before?[/span]

• Global Moderator

That sounds like a good idea. I would be surprised if the magnets would crack the plastic. i would think some sheet metal glued to the underside of the plastics for the bag magnets to hold to would work.

• Premium Member

A cool idea.

I feel if the bag were to contact the plastic directly, it would most definitely wear/scratch at the magent contact points over time. Any grit on either surface would be the end of your shiny finish. Have you considered a simple magnetic bracket of some kind, or is it that that you were hoping to have more of a discreet look?

The easiest way I can think of is perhaps sticking a durable decal or tape of some kind (colour match or clear?) over the magnet points on the exterior of the plastics to prevent scratching; and decals/tape would be easy (and cheap) to replace if they started to wear out. ? ?

Those n52/42 magnets can be really potent (if thats what you plan to use); it would take a fair bit of trial and error to find the right power balance. I dig mjh937's idea, it would let you experiment with magnet strengths witout making a gluey mess of your plastics. You dont want your bag permanently magnetized to your bike. ;)

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

travisaurusrex
Have you considered a simple magnetic bracket of some kind, or is it that that you were hoping to have more of a discreet look?  
Perhaps sticking a decal/tape (colour match or clear?) of some kind over the magnet points on the exterior of the plastics would prevent scratching; and deacls/tape would be easy (and cheap) to replace if they started to wear out. ? ?

I was hoping for something discreet.  I think that a clear tape would be an excellent idea.

travisaurusrex
That sounds like a good idea. I would be surprised if the magnets would crack the plastic. i would think some sheet metal glued to the underside of the plastics for the bag magnets to hold to would work.
I'm not sure if the connection would be strong enough but this might work.  I think the tricky part with using magnets will be getting them in the right spots.

• Premium Member

Oh hey ....maybe skateboard grip tape?  :D

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

• Premium Member
I'm not sure if the connection would be strong enough but this might work.  I think the tricky part with using magnets will be getting them in the right spots.
Man, I wouldnt worry about connection strength; you could have those magnets lift your bike if you wanted. A little trial and error is all you need. mhj937 has the right idea with the metal underneath. It would only need to be a thin tin type metal as well. Take a look at "K&J Magnetics", they have pull strengths listed, and are very reasonably priced. Really hard to say what strength you would need with the plastic barrier. I've bought tons of magnets from them for various projects. Thumbs up! 
How can you tell I love DIY projects? it's almost a curse for me......so many ways to accomplish the mission.

I have a magnetic bag that I use on another bike with a steel tank and
am not that keen on it, it tends to loose it's grip over 60 mph and any
metallic bits rust just tiny bit of metal sticks to the magnets then marks
the tank.

realtalkdiddy

I currently use a firstgear laguna mini tank bag for daily commutes on my 07.  It is magnetic.  The magnets hold just fine on the tank.  So far I have only taken it up to about 65 though.

Everything You Want Is On The Other Side Of Fear

travisaurusrex
I currently use a firstgear laguna mini tank bag for daily commutes on my 07.  It is magnetic.  The magnets hold just fine on the tank.  So far I have only taken it up to about 65 though.
Did you modify the tank or did it stick to the plastic?

travisaurusrex
Man, I wouldnt worry about connection strength; you could have those magnets lift your bike if you wanted. 

I have a magnetic bag that I use on another bike with a steel tank and am not that keen on it, it tends to loose it's grip over 60 mph and any
the tank.
Conflicting reports here - it sounds like maybe not all tank bags have equal strength magnets?

I have a magnetic tank bag and even though the shell is plastic the actual metal tank underneath is close enough that my tank bag sticks to (through) the plastic shell a little but not enough to keep it on under normal operation, it just doesn't hold strong enough. I would bet anything that if you did glue some small metal pieces (not necessarily magnets) under the plastic in the spots it would need to be for a magnet to work it will work just fine except for maybe that damn plastic ridge in the middle of the tank. That may or may not be a hindrance but if you were to keep the bag on the tank all the time you could remove that plastic hump and keep it on a shelf.

Beemer

• Premium Member
Man, I wouldnt worry about connection strength; you could have those magnets lift your bike if you wanted. 
I have a magnetic bag that I use on another bike with a steel tank and am not that keen on it, it tends to loose it's grip over 60 mph and any
the tank.
Conflicting reports here - it sounds like maybe not all tank bags have equal strength magnets? 

The varying strength of these n52/42 magnets is immense; they are tiny and can be dangerously powerful. You could have a half arsed slap together Chinese made tankbag (probably 99% of the market) with insufficient random crappy magnets , or research it yourself and do it right with the appropriate strength of the n52/42 's. Trial and error.

I LOVE magnetic tank bags and tried to use my previous magnetic tank bag on the MT. It didn't hold well enough at higher speeds. So I did what you are looking at doing. I tried to glue some magnets underneath the plastic tank. I tried from smaller to larger magnets, but by the time I found the perfect power magnets, they were too big to seat between the plastic tank and the metal tank. So I gave up.
But go ahead, see if you can do it, and let us know, because my straps tank bag is not as practical as the magnetic one and I miss the days of magnets.

realtalkdiddy
Did you modify the tank or did it stick to the plastic?

The magnets stuck through the plastics. I like the ideas here tho. Contemplating trying the metal strip idea since i will have the plastics off this weekend anyway for usb and fender eliminator installs

Everything You Want Is On The Other Side Of Fear

hot glue and an arrangement of ebay rare-earth magnets size of a nickle or quarter will probably work.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

• Premium Member

I have a magnetic tank bag that unfortunately didn't stick either. On my other bikes, I used 3M protection film to keep the tank from getting scratched. The stuff is fantastic. Clear, stretchy, conforms to curves, easy to apply, easy to remove, and lasts forever. I keep a roll on hand just to protect random stuff (bike frames, car parts etc...). 

Why can't left turners see us?

travisaurusrex
Contemplating trying the metal strip idea since i will have the plastics off this weekend anyway for usb and fender eliminator installs
Let us know if you do this!  I might try the magnets next week since I have a little time off work.  If not, I'll take a crack at it over Christmas.

If yer gonna attach those super strong magnets to the underside of the plastic cover, just don't get too close to the ECU !!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Neocon and Becker makes excellent magnetic tank bags. I have one on my FZ for over a year, tested up to 90 mph. They work together with a tank ring. I posted it in more detail a few months ago with pictures.

Love to ride!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

A guy posted a comment on the Nelson Rigg CL2020 Amazon page where he explains that he used magnets (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008H40U10/ref=cm_cd_asin_lnk) on his bike (BMW R1100RT), and glued them with rubber cement.

http://www.amazon.com/review/R167OQ446S2R9W/ref=cm_cd_notf_message?ie=UTF8&cdForum=FxN5KEMUWGVO98&cdPage=1&cdThread=Tx1LZ9U8DRB8HYW#Mx13RTSD9FTILN0

I'll think about it this weekend, and I'll order parts to do it next weekend hopefully, and at the same time I'll install a USB port as well.

Supposedly, the MotorcyclistOnline.com guys had success gluing magnets under the plastic tank protector and attaching the magnetic Cortech micro tank bag. Haven't tried it personally, $60 is a lot to spend on the off-chance it doesn't work. :-S  And that tank bag is so tiny. 

FZ-07 Mods for the Road:

To supplement the saddlebags, we dropped on a Cortech Micro 2.0 tankbag, which is a super-handy way to carry your wallet, cell phone, and, ah, what-nots. Note that the FZ’s tank cover is plastic. No problem, three “super powerful” neodymium magnets (from a hardware store, $3) glued underneath keep the lightweight Micro from flying away.  

mcy0915_surg-044.jpg
I know there are solutions with aftermarket tank rings and such, but I don't like how those tank rings look when the bag isn't on the bike. 

I'll think about it this weekend, and I'll order parts to do it next weekend hopefully.
We will be anxiously waiting for the results. 

Archived