The MT-07 Forum

Yamaha announcing a new bike today, in an hour!

Cruizin

• Global Moderator
That MT-10 will end up in my garage.
C'mon now, you said you were sticking to dirt!
I expect he will put knobby tires on it and have a 150 mph dirt bike :)

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yamaha does seem to like fitting small fuel tanks. There is plenty of room behind our plastic panels to make the tank larger. I do wish they had done that.
Agreed, they use faux air scoops that make it look wider from the front so why not a fatter tank that serves a good purpose?

Beemer

recurveshooter
The trend towards multi-faceted body work that makes most modern bikes look like something from a Transformers movie is disappointing. I can live with my FZ07 because it is not too terribly over the top and it's a great bike but the front end of that 1000 is a hard swallow. There is a reason people are buying Triumphs and Harleys and Guzzi's.... they look like motorcycles!

recurveshooter

The trend towards multi-faceted body work that makes most modern bikes look like something from a Transformers movie is disappointing. I can live with my FZ07 because it is not too terribly over the top and it's a great bike but the front end of that 1000 is a hard swallow. There is a reason people are buying Triumphs and Harleys and Guzzi's.... they look like motorcycles! 

recurveshooter
While I do love me a good traditional looking motorcycle, I also love this new angular fighter jet inspired looks as well. If everything on the road looked the same it would be some awful boring. 
I would love to own one, but I don't think I can reign myself in and not do 250km/h+ on roads I really shouldn't. It's most of the reason I went FZ-07 over the 09.

• Premium Member

It is definitely adding a new choice to the available liter street fighter bikes available out there, but it's a more crowded space then when they came out of no where with the MT-07/FZ-07. It will be interesting to see the specs and how it stacks up against Kawasaki Z1000, BMW S1000R, Triumph Speed Triple, Suzuki GSX-S1000, KTM Super Duke, and others... Aprila Bimoto....

Why can't left turners see us?

Would it be so hard Yamaha to just put a FZ1 (2002+) bikini fairing on it and stop with the Transformers' look? How many discrete pieces is that in a headlight assembly? How many fasteners? How expensive to replace if it gets crunched?

Ditto!......That front end is Way too busy for my taste. I also dont care for the DayGlo yellow rims either.

So it appears the general consensus is the 'samurai look' is great on kids transformer's but not on adults bikes. Yamaha will ignore this and keep an eye on their sales.  ;)

Beemer

• Premium Member

I would trade in my FZ-07 for that MT-10 in black/red in a heartbeat if the price was right. Holy hell, is that a sexy looking bike. The other color schemes, though, not so much.

• Premium Member
I can't even find a gif that accurately represents how much happier I am with that look. They bring it here looking like that, in all black (with a splash of red), and my FZ-07 is gone. 

• Premium Member

Honestly, I like the look of it. Im not a fan of another 4 cyl bike though. I do like the look of the FZ headlight concept too. I get the commercial off the shelf design of using the R1 powerplant (not to say that is not a great motor) but, geez I would enjoy this so much more if it was an FZ07 on steroids. This seems like a better looking Z1000 in my eyes.

All that being said from not seeing any hard reviews or specs. My heart still lies with a superduke in the naked liter class though. If this bike was not a 4 cyl, they would have my money.

AlbatrossCafe
Honestly, I like the look of it. Im not a fan of another 4 cyl bike though. I do like the look of the FZ headlight concept too. I get the commercial off the shelf design of using the R1 powerplant (not to say that is not a great motor) but, geez I would enjoy this so much more if it was an FZ07 on steroids. This seems like a better looking Z1000 in my eyes.  
All that being said from not seeing any hard reviews or specs. My heart still lies with a superduke in the naked liter class though. If this bike was not a 4 cyl, they would have my money.
I agree there. 4 cylinder is a bit much for any riding I do (mostly commuting) and a lot of the power would be wasted. If they had somehow created/released like an 800-900cc version of the FZ-07's parallel twin on this frame I would even pay to have it shipped in from outside the US just to have it 

• Premium Member
I agree there. 4 cylinder is a bit much for any riding I do (mostly commuting) and a lot of the power would be wasted. If they had somehow created/released like an 800-900cc version of the FZ-07's parallel twin on this frame I would even pay to have it shipped in from outside the US just to have it
I don't mind the power. I just enjoy the sound and torque of a bigger cylinder. Ive never been a fan of a high rpm bike. Two stroke aside. Like you, I have no need to go well into the 3 digits of speed. I do thoroughly enjoy low end torque up to the speed limit though.    I mean c'mon, ....there is nothing like pulling up next to a cruiser who is rapping his throttle 15 times at a stop light (for no apparent reason other than to seem cool) and give him a little taste of deep rumble of our little 689cc.  The characteristics of the 2 cyl are what sets the fz apart from the pack. 

AlbatrossCafe
I don't mind the power. I just enjoy the sound and torque of a bigger cylinder. Ive never been a fan of a high rpm bike. Two stroke aside. Like you, I have no need to go well into the 3 digits of speed. I do thoroughly enjoy low end torque up to the speed limit though.    I mean c'mon, ....there is nothing like pulling up next to a cruiser who is rapping his throttle 15 times at a stop light (for no apparent reason other than to seem cool) and give him a little taste of deep rumble of our little 689cc.  The characteristics of the 2 cyl are what sets the fz apart from the pack. 

I agree with you 100% on the sound/torque of a bigger cylinder. Luckily the crossplane I4's sound much better than a typical inline 4. From what I have read, this bike will be tuned to be more low/mid-range torquey as well. I don't know how much the crossplane R1 engine you have heard, but it definitely doesn't sound like a CBR1000 or GSXR1000 does.  
[video src=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ww40TiNInZc]

Considering the the MT-10 will probably sound similar to this, then I will definitely have to consider it when I move away from Seattle and out into the country in the next few years... maybe by that time it will be in the US already as the FZ-10

That fz09 headlight looks like garbage. Effectively turns it into another anonymous Japanese naked bike. All of them have some trapezoidal melty headlight, with the only exception being the z1000, and the mt10.

• Global Moderator

I will admit to liking the FZ10 headlight. It is different and interesting. I guess we can agree to disagree...or you can all tell me I am wrong. I have a thick skin :)

Archived