The MT-07 Forum

Helmet Choices...

jonmc7583

Alright, so this is my first bike. I need a helmet but have a few questions.

Option 1: Get Icon Airmada Stack with clear and smoke shields. I really like how the Stack looks, feels and fits. But swapping shields (being a new rider) is not something I'm used to and seems like it could be a huge PITA?

Option 2: Get Bell RS-1 with Transition lens. I can get a smoking deal on this right now, the dealer has a promotion that the lens is free with the RS-1 right now, and I get 15% off gear there. Makes it much closer in price to the Icon. I don't really like any of the "paint jobs" however.

I guess it boils down to how often you guys swap lenses and how big of a hassle it is to carry them with you? I want to like how my helmet looks, but I also don't want to hate my life when I need to swap lenses.

Thanks!

Guest MXRider

It's not a big deal to swap lenses in my experience. What does suck though is when you get caught after dark with a tinted lens, and in that regard the transition would be nice. On long rides I usually just use a clear lens and wear sunglasses underneath when it's bright out.

• Premium Member

Airmada doesn't seem that hard to change on the go. Especially if you don't care about installing the panels back on. Most of the helmets are fairly easy. If you have a cycle gear near you or wherever you tried them on most of the time they will show you how to remove the shield. I don't think you can go wrong with either helmet. Pick whichever one fits and feels the best. Comfort over style any day. Less things to think about when you should be concentrating on the road.

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

I have a Shoei Qwest helmet with two shields. They are very easy to change but the hassle is carrying the unused shield. I put it in a tube sock to keep it nice. It was easier with the cruiser which has saddlebags but now it gets carried in a backpack. I only carry the extra when I know I'll be out later and just keep the smoked on all the time. I prefer the anonymity and sun protection of the smoked verses clear with sunglasses. I'd get the Icon because you said you like how it looks, fits and feels. Those are all important things and you probably won't be changing the lens often enough for it to be a problem.

Illegitimi non carborundum

If you reallyblike the look and feel of the icon go with it my wife has one and loves it airmada stack the shield is a pain the first time but after you get used to it its easy I bought a helmet because I needed one to ride my bike home so its not my favorite but it works

• Global Moderator

I used to have a Shark with with a dark visor. During daytime rides if was great. But like @MXRider says, you don't want to be caught in the dark. I upgraded to a Shark Evoline S3 Arona with built in shades. I also ordered a dark visor  for it (out of routine) but haven't installed it. I don't see the point anymore. Flip down shades are awesome.

• 2 weeks later...

I just wear sunglasses and a clear shield on my HJC helmet.

As for helmets, go for what fits the best, everything else is secondary.

• 3 weeks later...

Go for what fits the best. However higher end helmets are made better especially when it comes to shell size. I stick with Shoei, have and had the RFs and X versions. However a good budget one I like is KBC. As for visors, expensive but worth it. If you start early in the day a tint one is best. Later in the day stick with clear if you second guess yourself. If you get caught at night with a tint visor it's not the end of the world. Keep calm and ride at a slower speed if you must. Also this is one category that I would only buy new unless I know who it's coming from and maybe if that.

Greatness

• 4 weeks later...

I happen to be a Shoei, so I went with the Qwest. I'd go with the Icon Airmada. It was one of the helmets I considered, but unfortunately didn't fit right. Make sure it fits before you buy!!!!

"I'm not reckless. I am incredibly skilled with a bit of flair."

• Global Moderator

I have the RS-1 and the transitions shield is on my Christmas list. I like the helmet a lot and am wearing sunglasses under the clear lens. I am looking forward to having a transitions visor.

• Premium Member

I think both helmets are a great choice. If you do plan to go a smoke shield, maybe try a lighter tint?
That way, if you do get caught in the dark, it's not too difficult to see through.
I do it all the time during the spring and summer.

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

Based on your original impressions you should get the Icon. You chose that one for the same reasons I chose my helmet. Fit, comfort, and finish makes it a total package. It's easy to work around the shield issue while planning your rides or using sunglasses,

Archived