The MT-07 Forum

License Question for CA

zero

Hey there guys. I'm unclear on the whole permit license thing. I'm over 21 and just got my permit by taking the written test. I'm taking the MSF course to waive the skills and get he insurance discount. Do I have to take another written test when I go back to the dmv? Thanks

suspiciouspackage
Hey there guys. I'm unclear on the whole permit license thing. I'm over 21 and just got my permit by taking the written test. I'm taking the MSF course to waive the skills and get he insurance discount. Do I have to take another written test when I go back to the dmv? Thanks
To answer your question quickly, yes. 
The MSF course requires you to pass the written and riding course so you don't have to take the DMV road course. But you still have to take the written test, which is pretty easy.

You may or may not have to take another written test. I did the permit test right after taking the MSF class then brought my certificate in about 1-2 weeks later(MSF will mail it to you). They switched my permit over to a license without requiring another written test since I had just gotten the permit. This was 8 years ago before they switched around some M1 requirements so I'm not sure what you'll face.

Alright. It's just weird because for the permit you take the written on the booklet. What else could they test you on for a license. I suppose it was super easy. I'm just curious and in a little debate with a buddy. Thanks for the answeres!

Alright. It's just weird because for the permit you take the written on the booklet. What else could they test you on for a license. I suppose it was super easy. I'm just curious and in a little debate with a buddy. Thanks for the answeres!

It would be the same test which is why they didn't bother having me retake it. They also had me take the vehicle written test with my permit, but only half of the test... Seems like they can pretty much do whatever with the tests lol

I took mine in April so I imagine nothing's changed in the past 7 months.

The only thing is you didn't have a permit first right. The permit test covers the whole motorcycle handbook. So I think if you do have it, that counts as your written. But you're right, it was pretty easy so I guess we will see.

suspiciouspackage

Then you should be fine. I just don't remember if you need to have had your permit for at least 6 months.

if u pass the course they waive the dmw drive course, so if u passed the written and pass the course, go back and get a license .

Unless the DMV Road Course has changed since I took it 20 years ago,,,,it is pretty much a JOKE........

It consisted of a big circular lane painted on a parking lot. There was a Straight Painted lane leading to the circle.

After demonstrating that your turn signals a Headlight were functional, I was required to navigate the lane and around the circle and back down the lane, without stopping, or putting feet down, and staying within the lines. Speed was about 5 mph or less (parking lot speed)

They give you a couple chances to accomplish it if you accidently swerve outside the lines, ( which I saw happen with one guy). It didnt require much skill. Would be hard to fail.....

Nothing to worry about if you have to do it......

I would think that if you passed the riding and written test in the MSF course they would send that information to the DMV by the next business day like they do here in Florida so that you don't have to do anything other than get the motorcycle endorsement on your license for about the same price as a McLard at McDonald's.

Beemer

All of the info I'm about to say is from when I did it earlier this year in February. I am over 21 and took the written test at DMV to get my permit. I then took the MSF course to get the skills waiver. Got the skills waiver and took it to the DMV, paid a little fee ($20 license fee?), and got my license. No need to take the test again because you already took it to get the permit.

'15 FZ-09 Cadmium Yellow
'15 White Fz-07 - Sold

All of the info I'm about to say is from when I did it earlier this year in February. I am over 21 and took the written test at DMV to get my permit. I then took the MSF course to get the skills waiver. Got the skills waiver and took it to the DMV, paid a little fee ($20 license fee?), and got my license. No need to take the test again because you already took it to get the permit.

Alright great. That's what I thought. They give you a written at the MSF as well. Thought so. Thanks man.

Archived