The MT-07 Forum

Yet Another Akrapovic Carbon + ECU Flash Review/Tips

AlbatrossCafe

AlbatrossCafe

Hey guys, I just ordered and installed my Akra Carbon exhaust today and wanted to write a review that compiled a lot of the details I had to scour for on the internet. This is probably overkill, but whatever. Let's start off with a quick timeline of events, and then I will break it down into sections with a rating to follow each:

Wednesday, Oct 21st - Picked up new FZ-07 with 0 miles
Thursday, Nov 5th, 5:02pm - Ordered Akra Carbon from @tuninghq
Monday, Nov 9th, midday - Received exhaust in the mail
Wednesday, Nov 11th - Installed exhaust on FZ with 1300 miles
Saturday, Nov 14th - Installed K&N Air Filter and received ECU flash

Exhaust Transaction:
This forum's supporting vender @tuninghq was very helpful. They answered my questions here on the forum. I read a lot of their posts before coming to my decision on the Akra Carbon. I called in to their place at 5:02pm (they close at 5) and they had no issues getting my order set up. The ordering process with them over the phone took about 10 minutes. Price was VERY reasonable - I don't think you will find a lower price anywhere else (free shipping, no tax). I saw the exhaust priced at a dealer in-person and it would have been close to $200 more. I was also impressed that the exhaust was ordered Thursday night, and showed up Monday during the day. I expected to have by the Friday at the earliest, so it was a nice surprise to have it show up that early. Between using this forum to help select an exhaust, ordering it from tuningHQ, and shipping, I was very satisfied.
Experience Rating: 5/5
Tips:
[ul type=disc][*]Have I said it enough? Order from @tuninghq[*]Make sure you check against the exhaust schematic from Akra's site to inventory your parts.
[/ul]
Installation:
Let me preface by saying that I have a reasonable amount of experience with basic maintenance & mod installations on my vehicles. However, by no means am I an expert. This was my first time installing an exhaust, and I'm glad I did. It was pretty much an "unbolt the stock exhaust, and bolt on the new one" kind of deal. Akrapovič provides detailed picture instructions with the exhaust of the whole install process. There weren't any YouTube videos I found of the Akra Carbon exhaust process specifically but the paper instructions were enough for me. I started the installation at about 10:30 and finished at about 2. Akra said about 1.5 hours to install, but being completely new to this process, it took me about 3 1/2 hours learn and change exhausts confidently. Like I said, it was pretty straightforward and simple but you can't rush it.
Difficulty Rating: 3/5
Tips:
[ul type=disc][*]Get new header gaskets! People say "you can use the old ones if you are under 1000 miles," but they are like crush washers, not rubber, so even tightening on them once for 1 mile will deform them. Could I have used the old ones and been fine? Probably. (I did on my old bike). But they are like $20 for both at a dealer and $12 online so you don't really have anything to lose. Part number is Yam 3YF-14613-01-0[*]When installing the header gaskets/headers to the engine block, it is very helpful to have someone else to hold the gaskets & brackets in place while you hand-tighten the bolts. Otherwise you would have to be an octopus to reliably hold both gaskets in, get the headers to line up, AND get the brackets in place all while screwing in bolts in a hard-to-reach place.[*]Don't forget to wipe down your pipes at the end with some WD-40 to remove any grease spots that could potentially turn into burn marks when you run the bike. However, DO NOT use WD-40 on the carbon-fiber muffler part. Just wipe it down with a clean, soft rag.
[/ul]
Initial Start-up and Usage:
FYI I kept the baffle IN and for now have no other aftermarket performance mods. Anyway, the bike runs very well with this exhaust. I have had other bikes that backfired and popped like a machine-gun after putting on exhausts with no fuel controller, but this one is super smooth. It took about ~20 seconds or so for the ECU to adjust but Akra has done a really good job at making it work with the stock calibration. I rode for about 2 hours afterwards and it only backfired on me ONCE during the entire ride.
Compatibility Rating: 5/5
Tips:
[ul type=disc][*]When you start up the bike, you will see a thin white smoke evaporating from the header pipes and some coming out of the muffler for the first 45 seconds or so. Don't be alarmed (I immediately thought "exhaust leak") as this is just some of the finish burning off of the pipes.[/ul]
Sound:
Incredible tone. As many have said, YouTube videos don't do it justice. It completely transforms the feel of the bike for me (bad-assary level in my mind has increased five-fold). Normally, when accelerating from 50mph to 70mph, you typically roll on the throttle, wait for a few seconds, and then you are magically at speed. The wind noise covers up any work the engine is doing. With this exhaust, you can really hear grunt of the engine. Also, the sweet-spot sound-wise for me is from about 3500RPM to 5500RPM, which is perfect because these are your normal-everyday cruising RPMs. It sounds like a V8 boat engine. The sound level is good. It doesn't destroy my eardrums like my previous 1900cc V-Twin did. I can reasonably ride without earplugs unless I am going for like 2+ hour trips. My only "complaints" (and I hate to use that word, it seems too strong as I barely fault these things) are that it is a bit raspy sounding above 7000RPM and that I wish I could be just a hair louder.
Sound Rating: 4.8/5 --> 4.9/5
Note:
[ul type=disc][*]Installing the K&N Air Filter did make it just slightly louder, so I am upping my rating from 4.8 --> 4.9
[/ul]

Performance w/o ECU Flash:
Like I said above, with no other performance mods the stock ECU tunes well with this exhaust. I wasn't flying out of my seat but I can say that the power-delivery felt a bit smoother, especially coming out of lower RPMs (3000+). The bike also had a lighter feel to it when accelerating. Not necessarily faster, but lighter. I will say also that the "Instant MPG" reading was higher than normal. At just about every speed it was consistently reading between 5-8% higher than with the stock, which I was very happy about. The weight saving + lack of cat probably help. Haven't yet measured a full tank though. I plan to install a K&N air filter and get the ECU flashed later this week so I will update this post after that is done with a report. EDIT: Finished installing filter and got ECU flash - see below.
Performance Increase: 4.7/5

Performance w/ ECU Flash:
While I was surprised at how good the bike adjusted to the exhaust without the flash, getting the flash takes it to NEW LEVEL. I was able to head up to 2wheel DynoWorks in person (it's a few minutes from my house) and have them install my K&N Air filter and give me the ECU flash for the Akra Carbon baffle IN, K&N air filter and snorkel removed (however, I left mine in since I ride a lot in the rain). It made much more of a difference than I was expecting. The air filter + flash basically exaggerated the effects that I felt after installing the exhaust alone. Things I noticed after the flash:
[ul type=disc][*]Accelerating was much smoother - there were no obvious flat spots at ay RPM range (normally before, between 3k-4.5k RPM the bike would vibrate a ton and lack power). Throttle response was 3x better.
[*]Low end power unchanged, much better mid-low end, better mid-range, and better top end
[*]Better fuel efficiency[*]And best of all, they removed the stupid fuel-injector fuel cutoff bullsh** when the throttle is closed. When blipping the throttle or downshifting, there is no longer that stupid ".25 second" delay between turning the throttle and fuel actually going to the cylinders. Makes bike WAY more responsive and helps give a quicker acceleration off the line.
[/ul]Performance w/ ECU Flash: 5/5Tips:[ul type=disc][*]If you are able to go to 2wheel Dynoworks in person, they have a deal where $319 will give you the ECU flash + all of the install work done. So if you don't feel like installing your exhaust, air filter, taking out the ECU yourself, etc. you can get that all removed/installed + the flash in one shot. I would definitely recommend it if you don't want to do the install work on your own
[/ul]

Hope this helped someone. If anyone wants any specific pics or has questions, let me know.

EDIT: Fixed text color to work on both themes of site, and a lot of typos/unfinished sentences

Before:Ql81sFO.jpg

After:
Nk1IW13.jpg

"It completely transforms the feel of the bike for me (bad-assary level in my mind has increased five-fold). It sounds like a V8 boat engine." 

I agree with those statements but I don't understand a 4.8 out of 10 with almost nothing bad to say about it. I personally think it's closer to a 4.8 out of 5 stars.

Nice looking write up, a little bit of a strain on the eyes to read some of that but def. cool looking. I take it you won't be doing a dyno test before the air filter/ECU flash and after. That would be awesome.

Beemer

AlbatrossCafe
"It completely transforms the feel of the bike for me (bad-assary level in my mind has increased five-fold). It sounds like a V8 boat engine."  
I agree with those statements but I don't understand a 4.8 out of 10 with almost nothing bad to say about it. I personally think it's closer to a 4.8 out of 5 stars.

Nice looking write up, a little bit of a strain on the eyes to read some of that but def. cool looking. I take it you won't be doing a dyno test before the air filter/ECU flash and after. That would be awesome.
4.8/10 was a TYPO! Meant /5. I think the "raspy-ness" is just a characteristic of the engine at that RPM, and happens with any exhaust, but I can't verify. 
I'm using the "white-themed" site. Forgot that the theme wasn't universal around here. Text should be fixed.

I am not doing a dyno test before/after (that would be an extra ~$300) but I believe 2wheel dynoworks already has that data since they have an exact flash for an FZ-07 carbon with a K&N filter already made. I'll see if I can get some charts from them.

I tried to make a good vid, but there were too many cars where I was filming. I have a I'll try again this weekend. I could get only good shots of the stock exhaust -.-

I thought I remembered someone doing a dyno test, just couldn't remember who. FYI, A heads up in case you didn't know, I don't know if it's an automatic (I think it is) but just in case it's not I would request that when they do the flash tune they take care of the problem with it dying at times when you take off. They're aware of it and can correct it, it should be [HASH]1 on the list of things to correct because it's so dangerous. Nice review!

Beemer

I thought I remembered someone doing a dyno test, just couldn't remember who. FYI, A heads up in case you didn't know, I don't don't know if it's an automatic (I think it is) but just in case it's not I would request that when they do the flash tune they take care of the problem with it dying at times when you take off. They're aware of it and can correct it, it should be [HASH]1 on the list of things to correct because it's so dangerous. Nice review!
Hmm.. I've killed it a couple times but this may be the problem.. I chucked it up to be the R6 throttle tube and not enough gas/coming off clutch too fast, ie user fault. 

I thought I remembered someone doing a dyno test, just couldn't remember who. FYI, A heads up in case you didn't know, I don't don't know if it's an automatic (I think it is) but just in case it's not I would request that when they do the flash tune they take care of the problem with it dying at times when you take off. They're aware of it and can correct it, it should be [HASH]1 on the list of things to correct because it's so dangerous. Nice review!
Hmm.. I've killed it a couple times but this may be the problem.. I chucked it up to be the R6 throttle tube and not enough gas/coming off clutch too fast, ie user fault.
It may have been that for you but not a lot of others or myself. There's been too many experienced riders that complained about this and there's been a lot of talk about it, it's def. the bike. I almost dropped the bike once when it stumbled and died so ever since then I pay extra close attention to how I take off and the last time it happened I caught it starting to stumble and die on me but I pulled the clutch in and let off the gas to stop it from dying. Just the opposite of what you would have to do if you didn't give it enough gas and let the clutch out too fast. Besides, they said they know what causes the problem and can correct it. I forget what they said it was that caused it but the problem is real. I'll try to look up what it was they said.

Beemer

Ok, looking back I found this much. Dinner's getting cold, gotta go!

Our bikes have a "fuel cut off" that is triggered by the CPU at closed throttle. Thank you EPA for the closed loop super lean nonsense. When you rev the bike at a stop...or downshift coming to a stop...or if the temp is high {over 90 degrees usually} the fuel to the motor is abruptly turned on and off....and that makes the bike stall. I've had mine stall a few times....and most of the time it happens when just pulling out from a dead stop when the outside temp is warm. So it's just a matter of when you increase the rpms to let out the clutch lever...don't confuse the motor by blipping the gas too often. I'm aware of the bike doing this and I still stall out once in a while.

I just had my 600 mi service done a few days ago...so I'm sure the throttle bodies are in sync and everything is right. It's just a characteristic of this bike and can be avoided if careful.
When CPU re flashes become available for our FZ 07'S...the "fuel cutoff" function can be turned off in the CPU and it won't stall anymore.

Not sure if the EJK fuel controller will address the stalling...but it isn't a big enough issue for me to worry about it.

~ olderthandirt, Aug 31, 2014 at 4:12pm

Beemer

Just dug this up from my private messages file:

2wheeldynoworks
Supporting Vendor

Jun 1, 2015 at 4:23pm QuoteMessage Options
Yes. It kinda goes along the lines of "You tell us what bike you have and how it's set up, and we flash it for that set up". We can make specific changes if you request them. The popping is mainly the AIS system, which pumps fresh air into the exhaust to burn off fuel in the exhaust system, it's an emissions thing. this system is disabled with the flash, but it may still pop from time to time as that is the nature of bikes. the bike dying when taking off is definitely not good. that has not been an issue with any bike after we have flashed it. have you tried disconnecting the EJK controller and riding it like that? Also, just an fyi, with the AIS system not blocked off, the air fuel ratio is off and the EJK won't be able to make proper adjustments to get you a true air fuel ratio.

So, you have an akrapovic carbon exhaust, unsnorkeled with k&n air filter. awesome! do you have any more plans for it or are you good as it sits? we do also have free flash upgrades for life so if you wanna change something down the road, we have you covered

Beemer

[ul type=disc][*]When installing the header gaskets/headers to the engine block, it is very helpful to have someone else to hold the gaskets & brackets in place while you hand-tighten the bolts. Otherwise you would have to be an octopus to reliably hold both gaskets in, get the headers to line up, AND get the brackets in place all while screwing in bolts in a hard-to-reach place[/ul]
Amen to that! I only had myself, and it was a tear-out-your-hair kind of experience getting those damn gaskets to stay put for even 2 seconds.  >:D

I put the titanium akra on my bike in about 3 beers/45 minutes time, start to finish. One gasket stuck in by itself and the second I sprayed a little copper gasket seal on it. Easy as could be.

AlbatrossCafe
Our bikes have a "fuel cut off" that is triggered by the CPU at closed throttle. Thank you EPA for the closed loop super lean nonsense. When you rev the bike at a stop...or downshift coming to a stop...or if the temp is high {over 90 degrees usually} the fuel to the motor is abruptly turned on and off....and that makes the bike stall. I've had mine stall a few times....and most of the time it happens when just pulling out from a dead stop when the outside temp is warm. So it's just a matter of when you increase the rpms to let out the clutch lever...don't confuse the motor by blipping the gas too often. I'm aware of the bike doing this and I still stall out once in a while.

Just got the ECU Flash + put in the K&N Air Filter. I added onto the bottom of my original post with more details if you were curious. 
Asking about this was the first thing I did when I got in there... and yes, this was one of the big reasons they created this flash. They got rid of that fuel cutoff, and if the flash did nothing else but fix that it still would have been worth. After I realized that cutoff behavior, it was pissing me off whenever I would ride lol. I hated that slight fueling-delay when trying to take off at stop lights, when downshifting, or when blipping the throttle, but now, it is ~GONE FOREVER~

Just got the ECU Flash + put in the K&N Air Filter. I added onto the bottom of my original post with more details if you were curious. 
Asking about this was the first thing I did when I got in there... and yes, this was one of the big reasons they created this flash. They got rid of that fuel cutoff, and if the flash did nothing else but fix that it still would have been worth. After I realized that cutoff behavior, it was pissing me off whenever I would ride lol. I hated that slight fueling-delay when trying to take off at stop lights, when downshifting, or when blipping the throttle, but now, it is ~GONE FOREVER~

Awesome! Now all the naysayer's can't say we aren't giving it enough gas and are letting the clutch out too fast. I can't wait to be as happy as you about getting rid of that particular problem. I do a lot of u-turns and if it died on me when I made it into the fast lane I could be in big trouble faster than I could drop the bike and run. I just need to say to hell with the money and get this done - it's way too dangerous a glitch. If you don't mind I copied this to the "Stalling" thread so people with the same problem can find the answer to it easier. Have a great day! 

Beemer

• Global Moderator
jeffkisthename

Wow, I'm glad I read this. I have had the bike stall on me too. I thought it was just me, but this explains it. That flash is a must.

SigSide.jpg

AlbatrossCafe
Wow, I'm glad I read this. I have had the bike stall on me too. I thought it was just me, but this explains it. That flash is a must.
yeah, they even have a flash for the stock exhaust which fixes this and improves a performance a bit. I would say the flash was probably one of my most-valued mods to date.  

Archived