The MT-07 Forum

Windscreens

nmucat

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's how it's supposed to look! Grrrr, not the way mine looks. I'm positive I put it on correctly too. I suppose I could take it off and bend the warp out of it. Nah, not worth it. Oh well, any suggestions? 
Thanks for pics ShiftHer!!
Hmm. That is weird that you got two that were like that. Where did you buy them from? 

Revzilla. They have toooo much of my money! Haha 
The first Givi I had was the same way but I put a huge scratch on it. So when I ordered my second one I figured it would be not warped. Once I put it on and noticed it I just said F@#K it. Didn't feel like taking it off, sending it back, etc etc. Now I'm just kinda pissed about it.
Hm. It's possible they ran a bad batch of them. Since you got two that were like this, I would call or email Revzilla and let them know. You might not be the only one. :-S   
I got mine from @paulibiker here on the forums. I don't know if he has any left, but maybe shoot him a PM if you want to buy another one and Revzilla won't cut you a deal. 

• 4 weeks later...

I put an American Cycle V-Stream sport touring screen on mine and I honestly have no complaints on it except for the price (around $150 I believe). It is a little tall but at 6' it keeps the wind completely of my chest sitting up right at 65mph. Which can be a con in the Texas heat. All in all I'm happy with it though.

bigdaddybane
I'm gonna recommend the Givi also. It looks the best in my opinion. One gripe though. The way the plastic is molded, where the screen comes to the point on top of the headlight, it doesn't sit flush against the entire top of the little triangular bracket that came with the screen. It almost looks warped. This is my second Givi because I scratched the hell out of my first one. The first one also had the same warping issue. It drives me crazy every time I ride. I would love to know if anyone else with a Givi has this problem. 
m2TQ5PT.jpg

I have identical problem and it took me a while to figure out why the screen appears uneven or "warped". The windscreen is fine, the problem lies with the metal brackets. I took everything off and put those two side by side. In my case, the left bracket was slightly more bent than the right one. The screen will never sit properly flushed with even gaps on both sides ... that's where noise and vibrations come from. I still need to work on these brackets because they're made out of cast metal, it takes a lot of force to bend them. 

• Premium Member
michaelcly

Adding an update to an old thread: I went with the madstad. I ordered the 20" med gray instead of the 22". I'm 5'8", average torso (in length, not width :) ). The 22" is a better choice for the FZ 07—you can always lower it. I had to raise the 20" to the highest setting which lets a lot more air underneath. There's a lot of good things about this windshield and a couple unexpected. Bottom line? I'd buy it again only I would get the 22" and not bother with the fly screen—I like the looks fine without it. In the end, I got what I wanted which was wind protection on the highway so I could go for three or four hours yet still make it naked for in town.

The Good:
High quality materials
precision fit
Strong
Can go back to naked quickly
takes the wind off your face and body
Exceptional customer service

the MEH (not bad but may annoy some)
The bright display can give you reflections at night
Fixed bracket moves the screen forward*
Expensive

The Bad:
I got a lot of helmet buffeting over 50mph.**

* probably necessary to get to the key. Being forward was just a aesthetic thing for me. It looked fine when you could angle the screen back a little, but I had to move it all the way forward to reduce the helmet buffeting. 

** The buffeting was substantial. I tried riding with just a ball cap on and it didn't fly off ever, but I got the wind just above the hairline. Er...where the hairline was once upon a time. Even lowering my shoulders and head a couple inches didn't do much. I was disappointed until I got a Givi Wind visor. That made all the difference—it's a great combo. Even though the visor adds just a couple inches (and $100). It does magic on this setup. I was able to incline the screen by several degrees for looks I like, and lower the whole assembly so that I look over the top of the visor. I have no buffeting and am happy with the performance.

If I was to do it all again? I would buy it again but leave off the fly screen and get a Givi (medium) wind visor.

UPDATE: I have changed my opinion on the Madstad fly screen. I like it a lot. Most of my riding is under 60MPH in the Florida sun so I usually have my 07 configured as a naked bike. The fly screen does help block some wind. At 60+ you can notice the difference for sure.  

2015 FZ07; Yoshimura Exhaust; Yoshimura Fender Eliminator; Shorty levers; Bazzaz EFC, frame sliders, LED signals, Yamaha Comfy Seat, Madstad Windshield.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

I had the little Yamaha fly-screen on for a year, but decided I wanted something a little higher to protect the back of the "dash" and such. Actual wind protection is not an issue for me. I'd thought of adding a small extension to the Yam, but opted for the "sport" Puig.

But, quess what, the Puig brackets, though they look nice, fit like crappolla. They simply were not bent correctly and did not line up with the holes in the shield when installed on the bike. I could have bent them and fiddled around, but I didn't like how it set HAD it been able to be screwed on.

So, I'm adapting the Puig screen to the Yamaha brackets setting it to suit me (tipped back a bit more, but leaving room to clear the right-hand lines at full left turn). With a couple new holes drilled in the Puig down low and plugs for the stock bottom holes I am making a couple small aluminum joiner-brackets to run from the top Puig holes to the top Yama bracket holes. Quite simple, actually. Also, my brackets add a little more coverage to hide the "stuff" behind the Puig when viewed from the side.

I just cut out and drilled the brackets this evening and have to finish and paint them when I have a chance. I may also recontour the top of the Puig which doesn't thrill me, lessing (rounding off) the three "points" that stick up. Pix when I finish in a few days...

• Premium Member

I have been riding with the Yamaha Tinted Windscreen for FZ-07 for a couple of months now and I have to say that it does a really good job at wind deflection. FYI I am at 5'10" and weigh about 145 lbs, skinny build. 

The wind moves the air over the shoulder/helmet level so there is little buffeting of the helmet. 

GbJsaYiHFUtwnWrCehZ3tl38X1AmmK_Lg2mpVCS9xlE1.jpg?width=600

1WS-F83J0-V0-00   (https://www.shopyamaha.com/product/details/fz-07-tinted-windscreen?b=Street+Motorcycle&d=28&f=2016|212&dealernumber=)

Without the windscreen riding above 60 mph feels like you're going to be pushed off the bike by the air pressure.
Definitely very pleased with this purchase. 

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member
I have been riding with the Yamaha Tinted Windscreen for FZ-07 for a couple of months now and I have to say that it does a really good job at wind deflection. FYI I am at 5'10" and weigh about 145 lbs, skinny build.  
The wind moves the air over the shoulder/helmet level so there is little buffeting of the helmet. 

GbJsaYiHFUtwnWrCehZ3tl38X1AmmK_Lg2mpVCS9xlE1.jpg?width=600

1WS-F83J0-V0-00   (https://www.shopyamaha.com/product/details/fz-07-tinted-windscreen?b=Street+Motorcycle&d=28&f=2016|212&dealernumber=)

Without the windscreen riding above 60 mph feels like you're going to be pushed off the bike by the air pressure.
Definitely very pleased with this purchase. 
Can you post a number of actual pics (all angles) of the screen on your bike? Been thinking about buying this screen gor a while now. How tall is it?

• Premium Member

I don't have a tape measure with me at the moment, but here are some pics.
99b2e236e8f146c3630398e3b6cfa4cb.jpg
bac3a1ee8b2a783217a88b616d458ab8.jpg
1b6bbd61b8be2af4651e750d3924cb48.jpg
5cbe2ae06a9dc494a0f3a8bd61efc81a.jpg

• Premium Member

Perfect because your bike is red like mine. I think you just made up my mind for me. I was on the fence due to being leary about how it would look. But now that I see it, it looks really good and would go well on my bike. Thanks!!

• Premium Member

I'm keeping the pumpkins on purpose. They're so ugly people see them and complain.
So I keep the. For the visibility factor (I also wear hi-viz gear)

• Premium Member
I don't have a tape measure with me at the moment, but here are some pics. 99b2e236e8f146c3630398e3b6cfa4cb.jpg
bac3a1ee8b2a783217a88b616d458ab8.jpg
1b6bbd61b8be2af4651e750d3924cb48.jpg
5cbe2ae06a9dc494a0f3a8bd61efc81a.jpg
If and when your able could you please take a few more clear pics of you windscreen on your bike (not necessarily in the sun because of the glare)? And could you get 1 or 2 side views in there as well? I am wanting to get a winscreen airbrushed and I am not sure if I want to get it done on the screen you have or get another Givi. I just need a handful more clear pics of the windscreen to help me with the overall look and size of it. Thanks again!

Puig New Generation ST. 
Fantastic screen. Before when riding when getting to around 70 or above I felt like I had to hold on for dear life or be blown off. With this one. Not only does it look good, but the wind protection is on par with my Ninja 650's in the touring portion.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00L29K7W4/ref=cm_sw_r_apa_X6CRxbPY9JM1Z
I ordered one for the wife's bike a couple days ago. Glad to see your recommendation. It's in dark smoke. Hope it's not too high.

Puig New Generation ST. 
Fantastic screen. Before when riding when getting to around 70 or above I felt like I had to hold on for dear life or be blown off. With this one. Not only does it look good, but the wind protection is on par with my Ninja 650's in the touring portion.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00L29K7W4/ref=cm_sw_r_apa_X6CRxbPY9JM1Z
I ordered one for the wife's bike a couple days ago. Glad to see your recommendation. It's in dark smoke. Hope it's not too high.
I don't think it is. I honestly was expecting it to be taller. Here are a few pics of it. 43cb6d6be574a48531b097570f3e8d4e.jpgd8aea2e361f2d49103984e2507af20df.jpg70e710e25d8475396481b14d6244bab3.jpg

Thanks for the photos. Your bike looks great and the windscreen looks perfect.
Not a problem at all. Also found it curious, with the packing Puig included the wind tunnel diagnostics data. But that wasn't available as repurchase information. Would have ordered it a lot sooner had they just included that bit. And I can even confirm that it is pretty much spot on.

As much I would love to have one on my bike as I travel a lot of highways I think it takes away from the look of the motorcycle.

So I am trying to stay away from screen. Maybe I will change my mind.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived