Sign in to follow this  
nmucat

Windscreens

nmucat
Looking for best wind protection and yet still stylish. Oh and I'm a cheap sob.

Go...

rowdy
Best wind protection, stylish, and cheap...
I haven't seen that yet.
I have the Givi, which is not the best wind protection and isn't the cheapest, but I think it wins for stylish.
I kinda wish I had spent more money and gone with MadStad, because you can get a small stylish screen, then swap it out for a larger one when touring.

I really haven't seen any that fit with the bike stylistically, and provide good protection (but everyone's tastes are different).
MadStad vid:
[video src=https://youtu.be/zi56L-aRqvg]

• Like 1

paulibiker
What's cheap? I have some brand new Givi shields for sale for $105 to your door (cont US).

That's what I have and I'm happy with the looks. Not sure you can get a lot of wind protection without going with something huge and ugly. The Givi does deflect some wind, unlike some which only really cover the cables/key area.
  • Like 1

jeffkisthename
I bought my Givi from Paul who posted above me, and like mentioned above, it's one of the most stylish windscreens you can get, deflects a little bit of wind (I barely notice anyway) and Paul is selling them dirt cheap, because he accidentally bought way too many. I say Givi is your friend.

snowdriftless
I second the Givi, I think it looks the best. but for the best wind protection I think you will need to look elsewhere. Like the Puig.

adv42
Madstadt because it actually works.
  • Like 1

stefano225
As a non screen user myself if I ever needed a screen for maximum highway wind protection,I would definitely go with
MadStad, you can always go back to naked when not needed with ease.

ShiftHer
Depends how much wind protection you really want. The short Givi screen does deflect some wind that used to hit me in the chest/shoulders up to my helmet (which is designed to manage the wind, so much more comfortable than hitting my upper body). It definitely makes a difference for my brief interstate runs.

Windscreen also depends on how tall you are. I'm about 5'8" so the short screen works good for me. If you're taller, however; you might need a taller screen.

I did a test run with some stiff cardboard to get an idea of how wind would be deflected. I cut it to the height and width of the windscreen, punched a few holes in the bottom and fastened it to the front of the bike with zip ties and tape. Wasn't a perfect test, since the windscreen is curved and such, but it gave me a good enough idea as to how the wind path would change.

I, too, bought one of the Givi screens from @paulibiker. Best price anywhere for that screen, as far as I could see.

Beemer
Is $106 too much? 
I'm 5' 8" and my Ermax windscreen is tall enough to block wind just below my helmet when sitting upright at highway speeds which helps a lot when you're going 80 + mph and higher. Everyone has different taste. I like the Givi but I also liked this and I liked that it comes in different colors. It's 39 cm high so it's tall but not too tall, it still looks alright on this naked, IMO. 

http://www.motomachines.com/Ermax-Nose-Screen-39cm-for-Yamaha-FZ-07_p_5021.html

[attachment id=1098" thumbnail="1]

• Like 1

ShiftHer
Oooh, that blue looks sah-weet @Beemer!

username
Dart Manta is pretty cost effective. Works well on highways.

perthmt
Dart Manta is pretty cost effective. Works well on highways.

Id second that, if only it fit with my clip ons though...

superace
I know this is kind of an older post but I was just curious if anyone had any updated reviews on any windscreens. I've been considering the National Cycle VStream. Just wondering if there was any input.

seega7
Selling my Givi. It's the best looking one in my opinion. After two or three long rides however,  I have taken it off. The wind noise inside my helmet got really bad due to the air deflection. I have an HJC Rpha helmet, and even with earplugs it's just too much. 

superace
I have a Sedici Strada and the wind noise is pretty bad with out a screen so do you think the Givi will help with that?