The MT-07 Forum

Windscreens

nmucat

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member

Best wind protection, stylish, and cheap...
I haven't seen that yet.
I have the Givi, which is not the best wind protection and isn't the cheapest, but I think it wins for stylish.
I kinda wish I had spent more money and gone with MadStad, because you can get a small stylish screen, then swap it out for a larger one when touring.

I really haven't seen any that fit with the bike stylistically, and provide good protection (but everyone's tastes are different).
MadStad vid:
[video src=https://youtu.be/zi56L-aRqvg]

Why can't left turners see us?

What's cheap? I have some brand new Givi shields for sale for $105 to your door (cont US).

That's what I have and I'm happy with the looks. Not sure you can get a lot of wind protection without going with something huge and ugly. The Givi does deflect some wind, unlike some which only really cover the cables/key area.

• Global Moderator
jeffkisthename

I bought my Givi from Paul who posted above me, and like mentioned above, it's one of the most stylish windscreens you can get, deflects a little bit of wind (I barely notice anyway) and Paul is selling them dirt cheap, because he accidentally bought way too many. I say Givi is your friend.

SigSide.jpg

• Premium Member
snowdriftless

I second the Givi, I think it looks the best. but for the best wind protection I think you will need to look elsewhere. Like the Puig.

P1: Vice? I have no vice, I'm as pure as the driven snow!
P2: Yeah but you've been drifting

All the gear all the time!

As a non screen user myself if I ever needed a screen for maximum highway wind protection,I would definitely go with
MadStad, you can always go back to naked when not needed with ease.

Depends how much wind protection you really want. The short Givi screen does deflect some wind that used to hit me in the chest/shoulders up to my helmet (which is designed to manage the wind, so much more comfortable than hitting my upper body). It definitely makes a difference for my brief interstate runs.

Windscreen also depends on how tall you are. I'm about 5'8" so the short screen works good for me. If you're taller, however; you might need a taller screen.

I did a test run with some stiff cardboard to get an idea of how wind would be deflected. I cut it to the height and width of the windscreen, punched a few holes in the bottom and fastened it to the front of the bike with zip ties and tape. Wasn't a perfect test, since the windscreen is curved and such, but it gave me a good enough idea as to how the wind path would change.

I, too, bought one of the Givi screens from @paulibiker. Best price anywhere for that screen, as far as I could see.

Is $106 too much? 
I'm 5' 8" and my Ermax windscreen is tall enough to block wind just below my helmet when sitting upright at highway speeds which helps a lot when you're going 80 + mph and higher. Everyone has different taste. I like the Givi but I also liked this and I liked that it comes in different colors. It's 39 cm high so it's tall but not too tall, it still looks alright on this naked, IMO. 

http://www.motomachines.com/Ermax-Nose-Screen-39cm-for-Yamaha-FZ-07_p_5021.html

[attachment id=1098" thumbnail="1]

Beemer

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I know this is kind of an older post but I was just curious if anyone had any updated reviews on any windscreens. I've been considering the National Cycle VStream. Just wondering if there was any input.

Selling my Givi. It's the best looking one in my opinion. After two or three long rides however,  I have taken it off. The wind noise inside my helmet got really bad due to the air deflection. I have an HJC Rpha helmet, and even with earplugs it's just too much. 

I have a Sedici Strada and the wind noise is pretty bad with out a screen so do you think the Givi will help with that?

I 5'9 and have the puig touring windscreen, it does a great job on the freeway and looks pretty good. Personally I like the looks of both the ermax and givi screens better but needed a taller screen for commuting.

I have a Sedici Strada and the wind noise is pretty bad with out a screen so do you think the Givi will help with that?
Hard to say as I have not ridden with that helmet. In my case it was a constant distraction anywhere above 55 mph. I had to ride completely upright and stretch my neck in order to get out of "the zone" for relief. People ride in different positions with different helmets though, so someone else may find it useful. 

I am using a Puig Touring and it works great. It is a real pain to mount to a 2016 though,special hardware, and it uses the top fork clamps to secure, not like. It is the smoke version and made in Spain.

cookfreeordie89
I am using a Puig Touring and it works great. It is a real pain to mount to a 2016 though,special hardware, and it uses the top fork clamps to secure, not like. It is the smoke version and made in Spain.

I think you bought the universal one. They make a direct fit puig screen with brackets. It is 4 bolts and they go above the headlight. I cueerenlt have the touring version too.http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/puig-naked-new-generation-windscreen-yamaha-fz-07-2015-2016

Is $106 too much?  I'm 5' 8" and my Ermax windscreen is tall enough to block wind just below my helmet when sitting upright at highway speeds which helps a lot when you're going 80 + mph and higher. Everyone has different taste. I like the Givi but I also liked this and I liked that it comes in different colors. It's 39 cm high so it's tall but not too tall, it still looks alright on this naked, IMO. 

I have an Ermax as well and couldn't be happier. During installation, you should tied up the 3 cables on the right side of the screen, to keep them away from the windshield or the vibrations are going to eat up your cables, but other than that, at 5'6" I love it. Easy install as well, and that should go for all windscreens.

ducttapewd40

I have an MRA double bubble on mine. It's about the largest one that I still like the look of it on the bike and does a great job of cutting down on the wind.

Is $106 too much?  I'm 5' 8" and my Ermax windscreen is tall enough to block wind just below my helmet when sitting upright at highway speeds which helps a lot when you're going 80 + mph and higher. Everyone has different taste. I like the Givi but I also liked this and I liked that it comes in different colors. It's 39 cm high so it's tall but not too tall, it still looks alright on this naked, IMO. 

I have an Ermax as well and couldn't be happier. During installation, you should tied up the 3 cables on the right side of the screen, to keep them away from the windshild or the vibrations are going to eat up your cables, but other than that, at 5'6" I love it. Easy install as well, and that should go for all windscreens.

He's right about the possibility of that cable causing vibration. I didn't hear anything until a few weeks ago one day while doing around 70 mph. and maybe a weird cross wind caused it but I heard a very loud BRRRRRRAP and it freaked me out at first but a simple tie wrap, as cassecou mentioned, will take care of it. Nice vid. bro!

Beemer

Fearedbynone

i have the Fabbri Gen-X Sport in satin black. i think it looks great. i am 6"1" and it gets the wind off my chest. noticed a little bit of wind on my helmet now, but its not enough to matter to me.

Dave

So anyone having the same issue I'm having with their Givi?
I looked at mine this morning, and while there is a gap, it's fairly even across the whole screen. Yours appears much more uneven. I will try to remember to take some closeup pics of mine after work. Would have done it this morning but I was running late!

Archived