Sign in to follow this  
so1102

Always check your tire pressure!

so1102
So it had been a while since I last rode my bike (I don't fancy riding in ATGATT when it is 100F + outside -- here in the desert my offseason is the summer).  Last week I took her out for a spin.  Took a quick glance at the tires before I took off and they "looked fine" but when I got out on the road the bike was acting a bit squirrely.  This morning went out again, but made sure to actually put a tire gauge on and check the tires (as it has been a little colder recently -- down into the 60s and 70s).  I'm thinking "ah, the weather couldn't make them lose that much air".  LOL I guess I was wrong.  Both tires read a whopping 20psi.  I'm just glad nothing bad happened the last time I was out.

Bottom line for you new riders:  don't be lazy like me.  Check your tire pressure regularly (before each ride, if possible -- just make it part of your pre-ride checklist).
  • Like 2

kakusaizou
You might have a bigger problem if you're losing that much air. I've only lost 3-4psi since I bought my bike May of this year.

• Like 1

GAZ
Down to 20 psi seems low even for 3 months of sitting. I agree with you though checking for proper tire pressure is key.

stefano225
Was that your first time checking tire pressure? That sounds pretty low,not busting cause it's the one thing I usually skip on checking every ride myself,but when I do it's usually between 2 to 4 psi difference using a digital gauge.

sane
Thanks for posting this. 

I checked my tire pressure after reading the thread and found both to be woefully low (20 and 22 psi). 
No wonder it was wiggly around slower corners.

Back up to spec now. :-)
  • Like 1

fzonly1
That does seem to be a big loss in pressure. Had my bike for almost a year and never been down more than a pound or 2. And that's thru some fairly cold nights (mid 30's). For Houston that's cold.

redharris
Ya' All are missing the OP's point.......He may or may not have a Problem that is causing low tire pressure. If He does,,,,,,he'll figure it out.

His real POINT is that Tire Pressure is Critical to the proper handling of your Motorcycle.
My own experience with that was scary. I went into a sharp radius curve in a canyon, with a passenger. The Bike WOULD NOT turn sharply enough to keep me in my lane and I drifted across the double yellow into on-comming traffic. A car had to swerve to avoid me. I made the adjustment and got back in my lane unharmed.
It was Scary and of course it was all totally my fault. The problem was very low rear tire pressure. It was not apparent when riding on the straight, but nearly got me killed when I entered that first tight sweeper.

Your Tire pressure SHOULDNT change drastically if all is well......But maybe All is NOT well. How will you know if you dont Check?
  • Like 3

suspiciouspackage
I knew I had to check mine and I was surprised at the front. 22 PSI and the rear was at 33 which isn't too bad. But when I was filling the front, I would overinflate and get to 36. Let air out and somehow I went all the way down to 26. I didn't know the tires are so sensitive like that.

Beemer
Thanks, the message I got wasn't just about checking your tire pressure every day! ("don't be lazy like me.") I just checked my tires and the rear was down 2 lbs. but noticed my gut looked a little on the soft side so now I'm also riding my bicycle in the mornings once again and doing my crunches/push-ups like I used to do. Thanks for the kick in the pants!

xdr
Just checked mine, and they were low also (low/mid 20s).. Thanks for the reminder.

forcefed86
My bike is only 2+ weeks old. I checked my front yeaterday and said 24lbs. What the hell that fast

sorkyah
My bike is only 2+ weeks old. I checked my front yeaterday and said 24lbs. What the hell that fast

My guess is the dealer was cheap and didnt spend the time looking over the bike.
checked mine the morning after I bought it found pressures about 15 psi below spec.
This is an AZ summer night mind you.(85-90°F)

noltz
my buddy just got his last week and the dealer had them at 41 and 45

forcefed86
My guess is the dealer was cheap and didnt spend the time looking over the bike.
checked mine the morning after I bought it found pressures about 15 psi below spec.
This is an AZ summer night mind you.(85-90°F)
Yup, and also they had the chain on the loose side a bit.

bikergeek
Anyone have any experience with nitrogen or helium? Being from a climate that could have huge temp changes, nitrogen is suppose to provide a much more stable pressure and leak about 30% less.