The MT-07 Forum

Bare Basic Upgrades

Guest 2wheeler

Guest 2wheeler

I picked up a 16 FZ-07 a month ago, and have been checking out this site ever since. I want to stay on the cheap and make some bare basic upgrades. This is what I came up with:

Frame sliders
Re-do the seat
Fork springs and heavier oil
Small windscreen
Adjustable shorty levers
Battery Tender
Maybe a change in bulb for the headlight

So, my question is: what other upgrades/tweaks would be good to do on the cheap?

Obviously my list isn't super cheap, but I'm not up for paying for cartridge forks, new shock, full exhaust, or motor work at this time.

Thanks!

I've had my '15 Fz-07 for a month now aswell, Picked up Shorty levers off of Madhornetz which made a hugeeee difference. Woodcraft frame sliders I snagged on eBay for $47 for the set. I also just placed an order with cyclops adventure sports for the headlight bulb who is a vendor on here (discount if you use promo code FZ-07). All relatively cheap mods to do. Edit: ah I forgot to mention tail tidy, I went with Yoshimura which is a bit steeper than ones you could get from eBay but the quality was worth it. Heres the link: https://www.cyclopsadventuresports.com/3800-Lumen-H4-LED-Headlight-bulb-_p_83.html 

• Premium Member

Definitely do a radiator guard, LED blinkers and tail tidy. Out of your list, I would say the headlight and frame sliders would be of importance for you and your bike's safety.

• Premium Member
Definitely do a radiator guard, LED blinkers and tail tidy. Out of your list, I would say the headlight and frame sliders would be of importance for you and your bike's safety.
Radiator guard for sure.  I would start with rad guard and frame sliders, as they will actually protect your shiny new bike.  Maybe an LED headlight if you ride at night a lot.  The rest is gravy.

Guest 2wheeler

To save a guy some research time, what radiator guards do most people on this site seem to like?

...and yes, it is a new and shiny bike. The shop I bought mine from had a 2015 in red and black and a 2016 in silver and burple. While I knew I could get a better deal on the 2015, I also knew I would kick myself everytime I saw the silver/burple on the road - yeah, I bought the 2016. I still got $300 off list for the 2016, so I'm not complaining. The FZ-07 is a hot selling bike in my area (Wash DC.) so they don't play much with the price.

I don't think an LED headlight replacement is needed if you adjust the headlight properly. I replaced my stock bulb with an Osram night breaker, and adjusted the height, its pretty stout. (24 bucks for 2 bulbs)

I replaced my fork springs with Sonic 90's. Huge difference. (86 bucks)

Frame sliders are good.

Radiator guard is kinda needed.

You can get short levers pretty cheap, I paid 90 bucks or so for Pazzo levers.

Harbor Freight has battery tenders for under 20 bucks.

Have fun with your bike!

O judgment! Thou art fled to brutish beasts,
And men have lost their reason. Bear with me.
My heart is in the coffin there with Caesar,
And I must pause...till it come back to me.

• Premium Member

Yes! Another +1 for a radiator guard. Perhaps some stands if your bike will be sitting for extended periods.
Enjoy your projects, and watch that credit card, it's a slippery slope. ;-) Safe riding!

I picked up a stainless steel rad guard off ebay for around 50-60 pnds. The company is "Beowulf". It covers the entire rad (tanks) and appears to be a well made product.

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

I can tell you some free mods,
remove reflectors front and back
adjust throttle free play covered here http://fz07.org/thread/777/adjust-fz-07-throttle-cable
remove tank sticker(I like mine haven't removed yet)
As far as paid mods sliders I got OES frame and axle
Tail bag (OGIO for around 60.00 dollars)
Shorty Adjustable levers (got Chinese knock off for 25.00 I believe)
Stands front and back for maintenance/storage got those http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0077T23IO?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00 but were 59.99 back then.
Maybe a phone/gps holder by RAM mount
Tail tidy(next on my list)for 39.99 on ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/351294516972?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT not doing lights myself but same seller has options fro 69.99 combo.

• Premium Member

I think Tail tidy is one of the first things to do to this bike. That thing hanging on the back is hideous. After that Frame sliders and mount up some GPS/phone holder. It ultimately depends on how you want to ride this bike touring, street, weekend etc.

bmwpowere36m3

Evotech Rad Guard... a little spendy, but it blends in with bodywork and is quality. It really depends on what your after, some of my mods are:

[ul type=disc][*]Removed fuel sticker & reflectors[*]Fender Eliminator (Vagabond)[*]Frame/Axle Sliders (OES)[*]Headlight Bulb (Cyclops H4 LED)[*]LED Turnsignals (LighTech Smoked Tear Drop)[*]Integrated Tail light (MotoDynamic Smoked)[*]Shorty Levers (eBay for now)[*]Ram Mount (for cellphone)[*]Aux Power Outlet (haven't done yet)[*]R6 Throttle Tube (OEM)[*]Renthal Ultra-Low Bars (not installed yet)[*]Fork Springs (TBD)[*]Fork Cartridge (TBD)[*]Shock (TBD)[*]Akra Exhaust (TBD)[*]Gilles/Yamaha Chain Adjuster Block/Spool Mount ($$, but worth it)[*]Radiator Guard (Evotech)[*]LED License Plate/Headlight Aux Bulbs (SuperBrightLEDs)[*]LCD Cluster/Gauge Screen Protector (DIY, cut from tablet protector)

[/ul]

I like them...the stock bars felt a bit weird on the wrists (and upright) on the demo ride so I picked up the ultras when I picked up the new bike. A more  naturally aggressive stance without messing up the overall ergonomics too much...and black (which adds 1 hp at the rear wheel) :)

Archived