The MT-07 Forum

Clutch actuation issues

jayrexer

I just installed these drag bars today http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004PQOTHK?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

Everything is working fine, except my clutch cable isn't working like it used to. When I pull in the clutch cable with the lever the lever just stays pulled back and doesn't snap back into place after releasing like it would normally would.

I have tried adjusting at the lever but it looks to be twisting the cable and is very hard to turn unlike before. I also tried adjust the cable at the bottom with the nuts and still nothing.

I feel like I'm missing something here.

Can anyone provide input on what I'm doing wrong or how to remedy the issue? 

Thanks!

• Global Moderator

I am thinking you have a bend in the cable that is too sharp. How does the routing of the clutch cable look?

Check your cables. That's happened to me before and found my cable was pinched at one point. It's easy to do/get them that way. 

Beemer

IMG_20151109_073945137.jpgIMG_20151109_073949455.jpg
IMG_20151109_074017292.jpg
IMG_20151109_074025994.jpg

Here are some pictures of what is going on. Sorry for not taking the best pictures but I'm getting ready to leave here in a bit for work...

How would I go about untwisting the cable if it is binded or removing any of these kinks that could be happening?

Thank you guys for giving me some insight into what could be happening.

• Global Moderator

That looks like a pretty tight bend from the clutch lever going down beside the fork. I am thinking that is your problem right there.

• Premium Member
That looks like a pretty tight bend from the clutch lever going down beside the fork. I am thinking that is your problem right there.
Agreed. 
That bend is pretty tight.

Agreed. 
That bend is pretty tight.
Thanks for the replies! 
So I would want to push more of the cable up toward the lever to make the bend smoother?

• Premium Member

Waaayyyyy to tight of a bend...like an orange trying to get thru a garden hose...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

• Global Moderator

I would try to route it across and down the right side of the bike. Hopefully the cable is long enough to go that way.

I would have a real good look were the cable fits to the leaver, is it binding there in any way,
it's the bit about when you turn the adjuster it wanting to turn the cable that makes me wonder.
That bend does look tight though.

Have you tried to remove lever and maybe unwind clutch cable by removing it from the housing at the adjusting nut or even try stock lever food for thoughts,that bend doesn't look right for sure.Also maybe lack of lube on the cable.

Dunno if there's enough cable to do this, but you might try relocating where the cable comes up to the other side of the ignition key. That'll ease that tight radius

I've lubed the cable when doing all this and still have an issue with it.

I loosened both adjusters, but it seems that when I try to put one side together the other one doesn't want to go together.

I might have to move some stuff around, hopefully I won't have to go back to the stock levers.

Unhook the cable at both ends and see if it will move freely in the jacket when the top end has been straightened out.

If that's OK, bend the jacket back to where it was with the new bars and see if it's now bound up. If so, you'll either have to relocate, or find a shorter clutch cable from another bike.

• Premium Member

You might try lubing the cable. That is a tight bend, so you should use every trick you can find to get the bend less tight, but if the cable isn't lubed it will stick easier too. There are specific tools for lubing cables, or maybe just try to squirt some silicone lube in the junction points.

Why can't left turners see us?

You might try lubing the cable. That is a tight bend, so you should use every trick you can find to get the bend less tight, but if the cable isn't lubed it will stick easier too. There are specific tools for lubing cables, or maybe just try to squirt some silicone lube in the junction points.
Everything is lubed properly. 
I tried to pull on the cable and it did snap back into the housing once I released it. 

I believe that it has to do with the way that the bend is in the cable. This leads me to believe that the cable needs to be relocated.

I tried to pull on the cable and it did snap back into the housing once I released it. 

can you explain this a bit more?  
Pull on the cable? - enough to activate the clutch? - and with what did you pull it with? 

I think you need to loosen the adjustment at both ends, unhook the steel cable from the hand lever and reroute the whole thing up thru the space on the right side of the ignition switch - if possible. Then readjust slack to what's spec'd in the manual. That should allow a lesser bend to the jacket and hopefully get it working again. .  

can you explain this a bit more?  
Pull on the cable? - enough to activate the clutch? - and with what did you pull it with? 

I think you need to loosen the adjustment at both ends, unhook the steel cable from the hand lever and reroute the whole thing up thru the space on the right side of the ignition switch - if possible. Then readjust slack to what's spec'd in the manual. That should allow a lesser bend to the jacket and hopefully get it working again. .  
I pulled on the hammer end of the cable that goes into the lever to see if it was a smooth pull.  
It came out fine and I just let it go to see if it would go back into the sleeve and it did.

Will try and do some different routing options today.

so you were operating the clutch OK w/o the lever? That would suggest something's wrong with your aftremarket lever. Does the lever move smoothly and is the cable maybe rubbing inside the bracket?

so you were operating the clutch OK w/o the lever? That would suggest something's wrong with your aftremarket lever. Does the lever move smoothly and is the cable maybe rubbing inside the bracket?
It was actually because of the cable being pinched.  
I rerouted it right now, it looks ugly on the right side of the bike because it sticks out.

It does work now and I took it around and got gas on it with no issues.

Such a simple fix that I should have done in the first place!

Archived