The MT-07 Forum

Delivery driver attack

theblur

So today I left key west to head to work, about 30 miles each way. It was early Saturday, so not much traffic for once on US1 and I was enjoying it. Got stuck behind a shipyard brewery delivery SUV and figured no big deal, I'm in no hurry. I was probably two car lengths behind. I saw the driver looking in the mirror quite a bit... no big deal, probably just likes bikes right?
Thats when I saw his arm go out the window, and I was hit by something hard and small, and heard other objects hitting around me... I couldn't believe it! I accelerated and got close, now he was staring at me hard and gave me the "back-off" hand gesture. So now I was sure he threw something. I gave him an appropriate hand gestures and he brake checked me, all while giving me a thumbs up and waving his arm at me to back off.
I passed, passed another car, and then in half a mile he was right behind me, close and closing, then right on me. I pulled off immediately and called the cops. Not gonna have some battle with an SUV I know i can't win, or sink to his level and throw something through his windshield (although it crossed my mind, and I had my cheap flip knife clipped on my pants).
Also called his hr and emailed customer service.
Stupid of anyone to behave that way in a car and actually assault someone for perceived wrongdoing, but really really stupid to do it on the job with decals all over saying who you work for.
Not sure if I overreacted, but what if I wasn't wearing my gear or helmet and it caused me to lose control?
I dont know let me hear your opinions guys n gals....

• Premium Member

All kinds of people out there best thing is not to engage. pretend like you don't even notice them and move on or get off and take a break. Or the other wrong thing to do is what I do, twist it back and pretend like I'm ghost rider and turn them into a spec in the mirror. The guy could have been just having a crap day also and decided to take it out on you.

I drive a lot and deal with d bags all day and I know that I'm not perfect I make mistakes too not often but I do. Not making eye contact is the best defense believe it or not, giving some one the finger could  be just the thing that can make a guy thats already pissed off go over the edge. 

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

I would go to a crooked injury lawyer that will tell you your neck is hurting even though you never mentioned your neck hurting. Haaa!

Seriously, you did the right thing. Not much more to do other than check back with the cops and his company to see how they're handling it but I doubt you or the cops can do anything to the guy if there are no witnesses/proof of anything you say. It's your word against his but just maybe his company will believe you and give the dumb-ass fifty lashes.

Love the helmet!

Beemer

Situations like this are why I need to get a gopro mount figured out for my bike. Never knew when some crazy person is going to assault you. Any damage to the bike from the shit he threw?

'15 FZ-09 Cadmium Yellow
'15 White Fz-07 - Sold

pineappleunderthesea

You have to be careful with people like that, but it takes a lot of self-control not to flip off or antagonize a driver that is obviously a d-bag. Reminds me of the first car I had, these 2 guys ahead of me were road-raging pretty bad at each other with constant brake-checks and finger flips. Even though I tried to stay back, it was a 2-lane road and I ended up next to them. The 2 lanes eventually merged into a freeway, but at truck or bus was in their lane so me and my little Geo Metro gently trotted past them. One of the guys got behind me and started honking until we merged onto the highway, maybe he thought that my 3-cylinder one-liter 55 HP engine would miraculously channel some wild stallions or something and start accelerating faster than I could.

Well the other guy had a fast car and he somehow got around the truck and powered out of sight. So now the guy behind me decided that it was my fault. All my fault. He passed me on the shoulder, honking and flipping me off. So being a reasonable person, I of course flipped him off! It was the gentlemanly thing to do.

And with that finger, the guy went insane. He passed me, then stomped on the brake and came to a complete stop and started getting out of the car. This was a 3-lane highway. In winter time. I had no time to get into another lane so I barely stopped behind him. Unfortunately, the 10 cars behind me slammed into us (he had ducked back into his car by that point). Once the dust settled, the guy took off. But at least there were witnesses that had seen the whole thing from the time these 2 a-holes were screwing with each other, so no fault on me. No one got his plate.

So my point: had I not flipped him off, he probably would have braked-checked me once or twice and been on his way. But since he was already out for blood, one flip of my finger caused him to transfer his rage onto me.

Ah well, live and learn.

Jake, that's probably best and I think you're right... if you act like you don't even notice it defused the situation more times than not... difficult to do in the moment of course ;)
Haha Beemer maybe I'll call 411 pain like it says on the billboards :P
Thanks, love the helmet too, although I need some bigger cheek pads to have it fit just right.
No damage ryan, I felt stuff hit me through my leather jacket but there may be a chip or two I don't see... haven't washed the bike since I got it and going through the rain a few times has "christened" it with lots of coral dust.
Excellent point pineapple, god that sounds like hell... he must've taken your lack of power verrrry personally. Hope you were ok and everyone else too...

Side note, I emailed the company and got alot of responses trying to narrow down which driver it was and what kind of car. They seem to be taking it seriously. That being said, they were supposed to call me yesterday afternoon and didnt.
Sucks how hard it is to remember details when the vehicle you're following for a while goes from insignificant to very important and you never got their plate or remembered every last detail...

• Premium Member

Get that camera setup. People like this don't deserve to own a drivers license. See if including the time and route being used at the time will help them determine who this is (if not already done so). If this company is reputable they have a log of what's getting delivered on what day and by who.

This is another good reason to always ride with a GoPro mounted to the helmet. You never know what someone is going to do, some people are nuts. If anything happened it would be your word against his and there would be no witnesses to back up your side of it, but video footage would be undeniable.

• Premium Member

I vote Sena 10C. I love mine. Lower profile than the GoPro and serves dual purposes. Earlier this year I was leaving work in LA heading north going through an industrial area when a there was traffic. A fedex truck driver cut around traffic from a side street on the wrong side of the road and blew right through a stop sign cutting me off. I had my camera rolling. I send the video clip to the fedex headquarters in Memphis, TN. I got a response back the next day because I gave them specific information about city, state, area, etc. This allow them to narrow the hub down very quickly and I got a response back from the hub and they told me they found out who the driver was. I had his face on camera too since I looked at him after I got next to him at a stop light.

• 9 months later...
Situations like this are why I need to get a gopro mount figured out for my bike. Never knew when some crazy person is going to assault you. Any damage to the bike from the shet he threw?
If you want a bike bound mount the black plastic cover in the center of the tank cover is a good place to mount. Either side of the frame where the three tubes come together right behind the radiator, right above the cylindrical protrusion(the hell is this even for)is a good spot as well.

EDIT: Just realized I necroed this. Sorry. Damn tapatalk doesn't have time stamps front and center and I missed it.

I get the impression that company really didn't want to further incriminate themselves by telling you the name of their driver that 'represents' their company. They know who it was. That driver had to sign for whatever he received and the company has a copy of it so it's no hard task tracking down the poopetrator. I'm sure they gave him a good tongue lashing and hoped you would cool off and let the whole thing go. You knew not to bring a bike to an SUV fight so you'll be alright in the future. First gut feeling of trouble, even just the stink eye, avoid aggressively.

Beemer

• 4 weeks later...

Archived