The MT-07 Forum

Bike exhaust smoke condensation maybe?

motocr

I just got my fz-07 a week ago and have only been able to put 9.2 miles on it unfortunately because of it raining everyday but I have been keeping it in my apartment which we keep at 67 degrees which is lovely. I did notice today when I pulled the bike out to start it and let it warm up just to make sure the battery doesnt die as I have no idea when this rain will end and noticed the exhaust was a bit smokey. Now I have never owned a new vehicle or had a new family vehicle so I do not know if a new engine having visible exhaust is normal during its break in as the fuel system and everything is getting settled.

The color is just a bit white and not alot of smoke at all just enough to where when I look at my exhaust I can tell its smoking from about 15 feet away. The weather here has been in the 80s soo I am pretty sure its not because its really cold. However the only reasons I can think of. for the exhaust emissons being visible and a bit white would be becase of the temperature change from my apartment which means the bikes temp is 67 and the exterior temp being in the 75's to 80s would be causing condensation inside the pike causing the water to steam and cause smoke. That it is just normal for a new engine during break in as the fuel system is sorting itself out being I have not reached 10 miles yet. Or something might be a miss.

Any help would be appreciated, I am a noob when it comes to new vehicles and motorcycle engines so while this may a dumb question I would rather ask and know it was normal than assume and wind up find a bad head gasket sill or something. 

Probably is condensation because my bike with 6,800 miles on it will do the same from a cold start.
The battery won't get a charge from just starting the engine, by the way - you have to ride it for a while.

• Premium Member

It's condensation from exhaust cooling down... If anything use a " battery tender" rather than letting bike idle...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

Just condensation nothing to worry about, sometimes you get a bit of blue smoke
from new vehicles as well due to oil left in the exhaust from manufacture like
the other poster said it's best not to run engines for short times were they
don't get up to full working temp in a warm environment the battery wont die for
several weeks.

• Premium Member

I'm going to say its normal.
I noticed one day that mine seemed very smokey it was like puffs of white smoke and I think it has to do with what the atmosphere was that day a bit moist and cool out. I haven't seen it do it again. Trust me these engine are tuff its survive me for almost 12,000 miles of me beating the crap out of it every time I ride it.

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

Archived