The MT-07 Forum

All geared up to find a flat tire.

shogun88

On my way to work and I come out to the garage to find a nail in my rear tire.
Haven't had to deal with this before. Should I try and do a temp fix to ride it to the dealership? Should I tow it? Or should I order tires and replace myself? Again no experience with this at all. Thanks.

• Premium Member

you can get a string plug kit and it will be fine. Have done this a couple of times. Others will say otherwise but it will be fine. If it's just a nail its just a small puncture and a string plug will work fine.

• Premium Member

x2 plug it. Vulcanizing plug is better a shop will have that but string plugs works just check it with soapy water to make sure it sealed.

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

you can get a string plug kit and it will be fine. Have done this a couple of times. Others will say otherwise but it will be fine. If it's just a nail its just a small puncture and a string plug will work fine.

So after this it will be ok to ride temporarily? Or will it be fine to ride as normal again?

Thanks all for the suggestions. I've decided to replace the tire. Don't think my conscience can handle a plugged tire at highway speeds. I commute everyday.

• Premium Member
Thanks all for the suggestions. I've decided to replace the tire. Don't think my conscience can handle a plugged tire at highway speeds. I commute everyday.
I just have to point out even if the plug didn't seal and it had a slow leak its not like the tire will explode it will just slowly go flat so all I would have done is check the tire pressure when you ride which you should do any way. I just put on a new tire and I know how much its cost mine just was wore out. I've used plugs in drag radials before lol and never had an issue. I've put over 10 plugs in one tire before and it held the air so. The only thing with the non vulcanizing plug it they can pull out but I've never had that happen to me either.  How many miles on the tire I'll pay for shipping if you still have it and its in good condition other wise.

invisiblekawiguy
I just have to point out even if the plug didn't seal and it had a slow leak its not like the tire will explode it will just slowly go flat so all I would have done is check the tire pressure when you ride which you should do any way. I just put on a new tire and I know how much its cost mine just was wore out. I've used plugs in drag radials before lol and never had an issue. I've put over 10 plugs in one tire before and it held the air so. The only thing with the non vulcanizing plug it they can pull out but I've never had that happen to me either. 
Just because it's never happened to you, doesn't mean it's safe. One plug in a tire is fine, depending on the location on the hole. The closer the hole is to the sidewall, the higher the percentages the plug will fail. A car tire I would be okay with plugging more than once, a motorcycle tire, never. Saving some money is understandable, but the abuse a motorcycle tire is put through is much worse than a car tire.

1_zpsa5e7e660.jpg

• Premium Member
Just because it's never happened to you, doesn't mean it's safe. One plug in a tire is fine, depending on the location on the hole. The closer the hole is to the sidewall, the higher the percentages the plug will fail. A car tire I would be okay with plugging more than once, a motorcycle tire, never. Saving some money is understandable, but the abuse a motorcycle tire is put through is much worse than a car tire.
I'm not suggesting anything different than what your saying just making a point that plugs work. 

• Premium Member

If you still have the tire, I'll take it as well. Nothing wrong with plugging the tire. I know it will be just fine. The worst thing that can happen is that it will leak.

This is one good reason why I have five bikes. Had the same thing happen to me and just grabbed another bike. Not the cheapest solution.

I just have to point out even if the plug didn't seal and it had a slow leak its not like the tire will explode it will just slowly go flat so all I would have done is check the tire pressure when you ride which you should do any way. I just put on a new tire and I know how much its cost mine just was wore out. I've used plugs in drag radials before lol and never had an issue. I've put over 10 plugs in one tire before and it held the air so. The only thing with the non vulcanizing plug it they can pull out but I've never had that happen to me either.  How many miles on the tire I'll pay for shipping if you still have it and its in good condition other wise.

I've got about 3000 mi. Just under. Yeah for sure if you pay for shipping I'll send it over. Let me know.

I would have taken the wheel/tire into a shop and had it fixed properly with a mushroom plug. Nail hole in the face of the tire is not a big deal. String plugs are great for short term fixes.
Tears or rips are bad and any sidewall trauma is bad.

Hey yall! 

I bought my brand new 2016 FZ-07 on Oct. 31st and I walked out to the garage this morning to find a flat rear tire. I have a little over 300 miles on the bike. I don't see any nails/ punctures in the tire. Is this something I should lean on the dealership about? Its kind of frustrating because I bought a new bike so I would not have to worry about things. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

• Premium Member
Hey yall!  
I bought my brand new 2016 FZ-07 on Oct. 31st and I walked out to the garage this morning to find a flat rear tire. I have a little over 300 miles on the bike. I don't see any nails/ punctures in the tire. Is this something I should lean on the dealership about? Its kind of frustrating because I bought a new bike so I would not have to worry about things. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 
fill it with air and spray it down with soapy water to find the leak might just be the valve stem or something. Might have a puncture and the object came out who knows. Either way you need it fixed and if your not going to fix it to take it to a shop. Good luck

Archived