Sign in to follow this  
shogun88

All geared up to find a flat tire.

shogun88
On my way to work and I come out to the garage to find a nail in my rear tire.
Haven't had to deal with this before. Should I try and do a temp fix to ride it to the dealership? Should I tow it? Or should I order tires and replace myself? Again no experience with this at all. Thanks.

fz07fanboy
you can get a string plug kit and it will be fine. Have done this a couple of times. Others will say otherwise but it will be fine. If it's just a nail its just a small puncture and a string plug will work fine.

jake
x2 plug it. Vulcanizing plug is better a shop will have that but string plugs works just check it with soapy water to make sure it sealed.

Guest Ralph
I use one of these did one on the car 15,000 miles back and the bike about 2000 miles ago not lost a lb.

shogun88
you can get a string plug kit and it will be fine. Have done this a couple of times. Others will say otherwise but it will be fine. If it's just a nail its just a small puncture and a string plug will work fine.

So after this it will be ok to ride temporarily? Or will it be fine to ride as normal again?

Beemer
As normal again.

fz07fanboy
What Beemer said. it will be fine to ride normal again

shogun88
Thanks all for the suggestions. I've decided to replace the tire. Don't think my conscience can handle a plugged tire at highway speeds. I commute everyday.

jake
Thanks all for the suggestions. I've decided to replace the tire. Don't think my conscience can handle a plugged tire at highway speeds. I commute everyday.
I just have to point out even if the plug didn't seal and it had a slow leak its not like the tire will explode it will just slowly go flat so all I would have done is check the tire pressure when you ride which you should do any way. I just put on a new tire and I know how much its cost mine just was wore out. I've used plugs in drag radials before lol and never had an issue. I've put over 10 plugs in one tire before and it held the air so. The only thing with the non vulcanizing plug it they can pull out but I've never had that happen to me either.  How many miles on the tire I'll pay for shipping if you still have it and its in good condition other wise.

invisiblekawiguy
I just have to point out even if the plug didn't seal and it had a slow leak its not like the tire will explode it will just slowly go flat so all I would have done is check the tire pressure when you ride which you should do any way. I just put on a new tire and I know how much its cost mine just was wore out. I've used plugs in drag radials before lol and never had an issue. I've put over 10 plugs in one tire before and it held the air so. The only thing with the non vulcanizing plug it they can pull out but I've never had that happen to me either. 
Just because it's never happened to you, doesn't mean it's safe. One plug in a tire is fine, depending on the location on the hole. The closer the hole is to the sidewall, the higher the percentages the plug will fail. A car tire I would be okay with plugging more than once, a motorcycle tire, never. Saving some money is understandable, but the abuse a motorcycle tire is put through is much worse than a car tire.

• Like 1

jake
Just because it's never happened to you, doesn't mean it's safe. One plug in a tire is fine, depending on the location on the hole. The closer the hole is to the sidewall, the higher the percentages the plug will fail. A car tire I would be okay with plugging more than once, a motorcycle tire, never. Saving some money is understandable, but the abuse a motorcycle tire is put through is much worse than a car tire.
I'm not suggesting anything different than what your saying just making a point that plugs work. 

fz07fanboy
If you still have the tire, I'll take it as well. Nothing wrong with plugging the tire. I know it will be just fine. The worst thing that can happen is that it will leak.

glockpointer
This is one good reason why I have five bikes. Had the same thing happen to me and just grabbed another bike. Not the cheapest solution.

shogun88
I just have to point out even if the plug didn't seal and it had a slow leak its not like the tire will explode it will just slowly go flat so all I would have done is check the tire pressure when you ride which you should do any way. I just put on a new tire and I know how much its cost mine just was wore out. I've used plugs in drag radials before lol and never had an issue. I've put over 10 plugs in one tire before and it held the air so. The only thing with the non vulcanizing plug it they can pull out but I've never had that happen to me either.  How many miles on the tire I'll pay for shipping if you still have it and its in good condition other wise.

I've got about 3000 mi. Just under. Yeah for sure if you pay for shipping I'll send it over. Let me know.

yamahaha
I would have taken the wheel/tire into a shop and had it fixed properly with a mushroom plug. Nail hole in the face of the tire is not a big deal. String plugs are great for short term fixes.
Tears or rips are bad and any sidewall trauma is bad.