The MT-07 Forum

Traffic Signal Turns Yellow

ornery

Whether in my car, or on my bike, if the light turns yellow I'm going, especially at rush hour.  It's a pisser when a car in front of you decides to proceed through the yellow light... THEN, CHANGES THEIR MIND!  Leads to drama when on the bike. :)

“The real cycle you're working on is a cycle called yourself.”
— Robert M. Pirsig (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values)

bmwpowere36m3

Another depends situation, like u-turns and intersections... you shouldn't have to floor it or slam the brakes to avoid a red light.

Typically it's people blowing red lights and not those you stop "early" on yellow... who are the problem.

Only brought it up because it happened at the same light the past two days. First time, woman decides at last second to stop. I skidded the back tire. Not a big deal, just annoying. I thought maybe she saw a cop or something, but no. Yesterday, a guy starts to turn right as the light goes yellow. So, I'm headed to his left briskly. Changes his mind and stays straight, but stops. WTF, why not scoot on through? Way more panic stop on my part, because I was gone. Usually, at that light, cars not only run the yellow, but a couple go through while it's red! Mostly because it's a long light if you miss it.

— Robert M. Pirsig (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values)

• Premium Member

It's always best practice, not just in motorcycling where sh1t gets hairy fast, but life in general: never assume. That should solve the problem. People should let you ride your ride, just like you should let others drive their drive.

I don't like that sh8t even when I'm in a car, let alone a bike. The guy behind you may have seen you staying on the gas or speeding up and decided to speed up as well. Now all of a sudden you have a guy charging up on you fast when you hit the brakes. All I can say is be safe and stay to one side of the car in front of you in case you can't stop fast enough or someone behind you is going to rear end you, you can go to the side of the car in front of you and hopefully avoid being a car sammich! Stay frosty!

Beemer

Well, going home time is rush hour, and I get caught up in it like most people. It's just a buzz that seems to permeate traffic everywhere. A Sunday drive is one thing, but rush hour is rush hour for a reason.

I do notice when smokers can finally get in their car and light up, they are in no hurry. But, that's apparent for their whole commute. Cruising, stopping, taking off... they're in their own little smoking world, and no particular hurry. It's the folks I experienced these last two occasions that cause the drama. Changing your mind at an intersection just sucks. Hell, changing your mind anytime sucks, but during rush hour... ugh.

Ah, good point, we should all take up smoking! :)
I shouldn't really get caught up in "the rush", but I do. Even on my electric bicycle, I could never just take it easy and enjoy the ride. Once I got on the main roads, it was wide open throttle from beginning to end.
Though smokers may be safer in that "taking it easy" zone, it is annoying to others trying to get to work, or get home. I'm always aware of how many cars are unable to make it through an intersection because of one driver dawdling.  I will NEVER be that driver. 

[p align=center]yellow-traffic-light.jpg[p align=center]
[p align=center]Watch at 2:27...[p align=center]
[p align=center][video src=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUkpjFRtUjQ] [div align=left][/div]

Oh God yes, I basically count on it. I have the video of being behind her... well behind just in case. Sure enough she stops 20' past a sign saying to "Stop here on red". I was still ten feet behind her when I stopped. But, the clown who started to turn right, then changed his mind... holy crap! I ended up with my front wheel one foot beyond his bumper on the left. No video, I was apparently out of memory or something.

• 3 months later...

Good ole' Snowcat:

[p align=left]Watch at 2:27...[p align=center]
[p align=left][video src=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUkpjFRtUjQ] [p align=left]
[p align=left]Around here, at rush hour, it is NOT unusual for MANY people to not only slip through the yellow, but even red.  And, the way I understand it, anybody proceeding through the intersection has the right of way.  If the light happens to be green for you, while they're still rolling through... tough, they have the right of way.  Check out how ole' Snowcat handles this situation:[p align=left]
[p align=left][video src=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWxqPyq2clo] [p align=left]
[p align=left]IMO, he's not as careful as a rider should be.  Can't wait to see the full video of this incident:[p align=left]
[p align=left][video src=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_i9ipeQPdU] [p align=left]
[p align=left]I'm going to predict that he probably wasn't at fault, but could have been significantly more careful.
[p align=left]
[p align=center]
[p align=center]
[div align=left][/div]

ornery

I'll put $20 on that. He is a rather aggressive rider but he might not realize that because he's Canadian.  ;)

Beemer

I don't think careful and aggressive are mutually exclusive. Personally, I'm impatient, ornery (surprise), and becoming more aggressive, but still careful. Always assuming every vehicle on my route will do the unexpected. That mindset keeps the adrenaline flowing, feeding the aggression, but only helps to keep up my guard.

Maybe it's just my imagination, but Snowcat seems to want to be a victim.  Makes for good vlogs.  Hell, maybe the vlogging is cutting into concentration that should be spent on avoiding trouble.

• Premium Member
Maybe it's just my imagination, but Snowcat seems to want to be a victim.  Makes for good vlogs.

That's why I can't stand most of those vloggers. Most have either a victim mentality or an us-against-the-cagers mentality that gets annoying.
Combine that with a little carelessness and you could see why they end up in so many poor situations.

• Premium Member

'Snowcat' is a great Canadian shame. This guy takes every opportunity to be a smarmy, selfrighteous and superior hypocrite, sh*t talking everything and everyone he sees all the while breaking the very rules of the road he's bitching about just so he can post yet another worthless and exceedingly vapid Youtube video.

This knob snowcat is the epitome of a complete dildo.

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

'Snowcat' is a great Canadian shame. This guy takes every opportunity to be a smarmy, selfrighteous and superior hypocrite, sh*t talking everything and everyone he sees all the while breaking the very rules of the road he's bitching about just so he can post yet another worthless and exceedingly vapid Youtube video. 

After the third or fourth time where he passed a car that clearly didn't see him, all the while flashing his middle finger....that was when I knew this guy was destined for some kind of road tragedy.

• Premium Member

After the third or fourth time where he passed a car that clearly didn't see him, all the while flashing his middle finger....that was when I knew this guy was destined for some kind of road tragedy.
I hold zero sympathy for this loser. 

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

In California (as far as I know, but I'm pretty sure this applies to all of USA), the yellow light only means "its going to turn red soon"(or, as I like to think of it "a green light that is going to turn red soon"). It doesn't mean "speed up" or "slow down" or "stop" or "1/2/3 cars turn left now". You don't get a traffic ticket for "running the yellow light". The yellow light only means IT'LL TURN RED SOON (how odd would it be if the light turns from green to yellow, then back to green again?).

Now, if you cross the line of intersection when the light is yellow, then you're fine. But if you pass the intersection line when the light is red, then you broke the law; you failed to stop at the intersection on a red light. If you cross the intersection line when the light was yellow, but then the light turns red while you're still in the intersection, then you're fine (which is hard to fight sometimes if cop pulls you over)(And, please don't stop in the middle of the intersection -.-). Your main goal with the yellow light is to avoid crossing the intersection when the light turns red. So you will need to use your discretion( your speed, traffic, etc) on either speeding up and cross the intersection line before the light change, or to slow down and stop before the line of intersection AFTER the light changes to red.

What about left turns? Same thing applies.
-If you cross the intersection line while the light is green, but have to yield to oncoming traffic (or pedestrians on your left) in the intersection, then you're fine.
-If you cross the intersection line while the light is yellow, but have to yield to oncoming traffic (or pedestrians on your left) in the intersection, then you're fine.
-If you cross the intersection line while the light is red, then you broke the law; you failed to stop at the intersection on a red light.

So, sometimes only one car can make the left turn. Sometimes 2. Even 3. But once that light is red, you cannot cross the intersection line.

What if you cross the intersection in a green/yellow light and yield to oncoming traffic, and then the light turns red? Once that happens, the oncoming traffic should stop because its a red light, and therefore, since they stopped, you go make that left. If you don't, then you are breaking the law; you are obstructing traffic in the intersection. (I hate it when drivers do this...)

What about right turns?
-Green light= yield to pedestrians
-Yellow light= yield to pedestrians
-Red light= Stop. Then yield to traffic and pedestrians

disclaimer: I'm saying these things as a automotive driver. As a rider, I implore you, please ride safe and aware! Accidents don't care about your safety or if you were legally right! Also, i aint no lawyer

Archived