Sign in to follow this  
ornery

Traffic Signal Turns Yellow

ornery
Whether in my car, or on my bike, if the light turns yellow I'm going, especially at rush hour.  It's a pisser when a car in front of you decides to proceed through the yellow light... THEN, CHANGES THEIR MIND!  Leads to drama when on the bike. :)

shaneallen23
Depends on a lot of factors really. Sometimes it's better to go, sometimes it's better to stop.
  • Like 2

bmwpowere36m3
Another depends situation, like u-turns and intersections... you shouldn't have to floor it or slam the brakes to avoid a red light.

Typically it's people blowing red lights and not those you stop "early" on yellow... who are the problem.

ornery
Only brought it up because it happened at the same light the past two days. First time, woman decides at last second to stop. I skidded the back tire. Not a big deal, just annoying. I thought maybe she saw a cop or something, but no. Yesterday, a guy starts to turn right as the light goes yellow. So, I'm headed to his left briskly. Changes his mind and stays straight, but stops. WTF, why not scoot on through? Way more panic stop on my part, because I was gone. Usually, at that light, cars not only run the yellow, but a couple go through while it's red! Mostly because it's a long light if you miss it.

ch3rryghost
It's always best practice, not just in motorcycling where sh1t gets hairy fast, but life in general: never assume. That should solve the problem. People should let you ride your ride, just like you should let others drive their drive.
  • Like 1

Beemer
I don't like that sh8t even when I'm in a car, let alone a bike. The guy behind you may have seen you staying on the gas or speeding up and decided to speed up as well. Now all of a sudden you have a guy charging up on you fast when you hit the brakes. All I can say is be safe and stay to one side of the car in front of you in case you can't stop fast enough or someone behind you is going to rear end you, you can go to the side of the car in front of you and hopefully avoid being a car sammich! Stay frosty!

ornery
Well, going home time is rush hour, and I get caught up in it like most people. It's just a buzz that seems to permeate traffic everywhere. A Sunday drive is one thing, but rush hour is rush hour for a reason.

I do notice when smokers can finally get in their car and light up, they are in no hurry. But, that's apparent for their whole commute. Cruising, stopping, taking off... they're in their own little smoking world, and no particular hurry. It's the folks I experienced these last two occasions that cause the drama. Changing your mind at an intersection just sucks. Hell, changing your mind anytime sucks, but during rush hour... ugh.

Beemer
So non smokers kill themselves and others with their bad habits as well. Interesting ....... 

ornery
Ah, good point, we should all take up smoking! :)
I shouldn't really get caught up in "the rush", but I do. Even on my electric bicycle, I could never just take it easy and enjoy the ride. Once I got on the main roads, it was wide open throttle from beginning to end.
Though smokers may be safer in that "taking it easy" zone, it is annoying to others trying to get to work, or get home. I'm always aware of how many cars are unable to make it through an intersection because of one driver dawdling.  I will NEVER be that driver. 

Simbadc650
as per snowcatt!!!  YELLOW MEANS STOp

ornery
[p align=center]yellow-traffic-light.jpg[p align=center]
[p align=center]Watch at 2:27...[p align=center]
[p align=center][video src=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUkpjFRtUjQ] [div align=left][/div]

Beemer
They do say it's a woman's prerogative to change her mind.

ornery
Oh God yes, I basically count on it. I have the video of being behind her... well behind just in case. Sure enough she stops 20' past a sign saying to "Stop here on red". I was still ten feet behind her when I stopped. But, the clown who started to turn right, then changed his mind... holy crap! I ended up with my front wheel one foot beyond his bumper on the left. No video, I was apparently out of memory or something.

ornery
Good ole' Snowcat:

[p align=left]Watch at 2:27...[p align=center]
[p align=left][video src=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUkpjFRtUjQ] [p align=left]
[p align=left]Around here, at rush hour, it is NOT unusual for MANY people to not only slip through the yellow, but even red.  And, the way I understand it, anybody proceeding through the intersection has the right of way.  If the light happens to be green for you, while they're still rolling through... tough, they have the right of way.  Check out how ole' Snowcat handles this situation:[p align=left]
[p align=left][video src=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWxqPyq2clo] [p align=left]
[p align=left]IMO, he's not as careful as a rider should be.  Can't wait to see the full video of this incident:[p align=left]
[p align=left][video src=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_i9ipeQPdU] [p align=left]
[p align=left]I'm going to predict that he probably wasn't at fault, but could have been significantly more careful.
[p align=left]
[p align=center]
[p align=center]
[div align=left][/div]

• Like 1

Beemer
ornery

I'll put $20 on that. He is a rather aggressive rider but he might not realize that because he's Canadian.  ;)
  • Like 1