The MT-07 Forum

Stock FZ-07 Shock Breakdown

norwest

• Premium Member

I can call in to Ohlins and have them send me a setup sheet as I don't have an answer on what stroke they are using, Your stock shock could be a different shock all together as they have two different part numbers.

650 lbs/in equates to 11.63 kg/mm so that would match what Ohlins is using.

Terry

Good info guys

So it really comes down to the poor shim stack design
A stack with plush low speed and controlled hi speed is possible
Thanks to the internal access,

Now who's the first to design one?????

• Premium Member

You know I don't even know what the rider complaints are from the stock shock, I have just been going off what I see inside the shock.

Any feedback would be great.

Yes like most stock stacks they don't match what the rider needs or want's. It is like they have a bucket of shims delivered that morning and they are told to make it work as best they can.

Terry

bmwpowere36m3

What's the bleed orifice size?

Rebound could be fixed with probably 2-4 extra face shims. Compression needs more LS, but less HS. Straight stack is interesting, I'd prefer a tapered one from a shim longevity standpoint.

You using Restackor to model the damping?

bmwpowere36m3

NVM, you posted it the bleed at 0.86 mm (diameter, correct)? No leak orifices between comp/reb side of piston?

Shaft diameter?

• Premium Member

Yep ReStackor as the wallet is not big enough for a Roehrig yet.

Yep it is .86mm bleed. Checked with a pin gauge not a drill bit.

Nope no leak orifices.

14mm, All ReStackor info is listed in the post showing the graphs.

Terry

bmwpowere36m3

Thx. You running the newer version of Restackor (w/ more detailed geometry inputs, HSC preload, etc...)? I had the earlier version and run cases against the newer one. Me and a few other forum members (on different forum) found issues with the older version.

Anyway, I'll try an model this myself. The newer version does require h.deck (or port height entrance). I'm not surprised by the high-spike at very low shaft speeds... which is predominantly orifice damping (before the shim stack cracks open). Most dirt bike shocks I've worked on have 3-4 mm bleed orifices (MV reb/comp) and 2 mm (BV comp).

Personally, I only look out to about 100 in/s. When you factor in the linkage ratio, 100 in/s (shock shaft) equals ~ 300in/s wheel motion. I look out to about 300 in/s when doing off-road stuff and I imagine it'd be lower for road stuff.

• Premium Member

h.deck comp 1.8mm
h.deck reb 1.42mm

I am running both old & new versions. I just happen to run this one on the older version.

Terry

• 2 weeks later...
bmwpowere36m3

I did some quick sims on the shock.... meh, I don't know if its worth re-valving it. The fixed bleed orifice and its small diameter is killing it initially. Plus you end up with no adjustments anyway, so any little adjustments require another re-valve (unless you nail it first go, doubt it). You also have to add a nitro valve, specs on setting the IFP, etc...

I'd love to find a shock (w/ external adjustments) that would fit off another bike and re-valve that myself.

Archived