The MT-07 Forum

Airbox snorkel

scordiaboy515

scordiaboy515

Has anyone removed the air box snorkel?  Curious to see if it has any better throttle response with everything stock.  I haven't took delivery of mine yet, but that will be one of the first things I will try.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe someone who has their can advise, if the side vents are blocked off or do they lead anywhere. Is there a way to direct the vents to the snorkels?

scordiaboy515
Maybe someone who has their can advise, if the side vents are blocked off or do they lead anywhere. Is there a way to direct the vents to the snorkels?
Not sure if the side ducts are functional, the snorkel is located directly on top of the air filter element on the air box. It's definitely a restriction. 

Guest MXRider

Most of them are to reduce noise. I'd be curious to see detailed pics of the air box assembly. I'm sure there is room for improvement.

olderthandirt

If you allow more air to enter the engine.....you would have to add more gas to keep the mixture from becoming lean. If you have no fuel controller to add more gas,....then you accomplish nothing by removing the air snorkel.

Congress is the only whore house in the United States that loses money.

scordiaboy515
Most of them are to reduce noise. I'd be curious to see detailed pics of the air box assembly. I'm sure there is room for improvement.
Anyone can see every part on this bike here when ordering parts.....here is the link to the airbox.......http://www.cyclepartsnation.com/oemparts/a/yam/53a99afef8700220a4415802/intake 

olderthandirt
If you allow more air to enter the engine.....you would have to add more gas to keep the mixture from becoming lean. If you have no fuel controller to add more gas,....then you accomplish nothing by removing the air snorkel.
I don't think you would be letting to much air into the stock engine and exhaust......causing a lean condition, just getting rid of a minor restriction.  When I get mine I will try it and give a full report.
All new bikes are lean to start with. Why would you want to add MORE air to a lean bike? The only thing you could "report" is if you heard more noise with the snorkel removed...and we already know the answer to that.  

Congress is the only whore house in the United States that loses money.

Guest MXRider

Anyone can see every part on this bike here when ordering parts.....here is the link to the airbox.......http://www.cyclepartsnation.com/oemparts/a/yam/53a99afef8700220a4415802/intake

Thanks for the link, but I meant photos not fiche drawings.

Left side has an opening to cool the rectifier and something that resembles a small duct to the back. Right side has same small duct but no opening to cool ecm. I am surprised it doesn't whistle, and I would say its more for looks than anything. Either way, you will get fresh air back there, mostly that flowing over the engine.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

scordiaboy515
I don't think you would be letting to much air into the stock engine and exhaust......causing a lean condition, just getting rid of a minor restriction.  Chill cowboy......not the end of the world if your wrong or right >:(
All new bikes are lean to start with. Why would you want to add MORE air to a lean bike? The only thing you could "report" is if you heard more noise with the snorkel removed...and we already know the answer to that.

• 2 weeks later...
scordiaboy515

I took delivery of my bike about a week ago now, so I immediately investigated the air box snorkel. What I found after I removed it was the rubber flange that protruded down into the center of the air filter about 2 1/2 inches or so. I trimmed off that piece and reinstalled the snorkel.......I'm not recommending anybody to do this but it alleviates a small restriction in the air box. ::)

• 1 month later...
I don't think you would be letting to much air into the stock engine and exhaust......causing a lean condition, just getting rid of a minor restriction.  When I get mine I will try it and give a full report.
this aint you're old carubereted cb500 dude, modern bikes have adaptive fuel trims. It wouldn't be a big enough difference to lean it out enough that it couldn't adapt to it. This is for closed loop operation though. Idk about bikes but I work on cars, specifically on engine drivability issues, and during open loop (during warm up and wide open throttle)  there are pre-set paramaters that the engine runs on not paying attention to inputs from the o2 sensor.

To add to the discussion a little... Removing a restriction is not equal to adding air. It's just making it easier for the motor to get air if it wants it. You're not ramming air down the motor's proverbial throat by removing the snorkel.

Life is good on 2 wheels!

• 1 year later...
  • Global Moderator
To add to the discussion a little... Removing a restriction is not equal to adding air. It's just making it easier for the motor to get air if it wants it. You're not ramming air down the motor's proverbial throat by removing the snorkel.

Im right alongside Erick there in driveability concerns in the auto world.

For all intends and puroposes... you are... at sea level there is 14.7psi(1bar)pushing air into the cylinder any time the intake valves open. The less restrictive the intake the easier it is for that atmo pressure to fill the cylinder. Rammed is the wrong word, and since it is N/A so is forced, but the air is essentially forced in by atmo pressure.
The increased air means more oxygen available. More oxygen in the chamber, the more fuel the ecu will add and therefore more torque/power available.

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Premium Member

Wow,,,yr old thread came to life...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

I have mine off but have considered putting it back on for protection/fuel-air mixture  reasons. I bought this recently so it should make quick work of shortening the inner tube if I choose to do that. (nice, cheap tool to have around, btw)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WEN-2305-Rotary-Tool-Kit-with-Flex-Shaft-Dremel-New-FREE-SHIPPING-/121607018463?hash=item1c5057d7df:g:1koAAOSwstxVFeYN

Beemer

I removed mine. Based on my experience (with cars anyway), I'm fairly certain it serves no other purpose aside from noise reduction. And my bike could use some extra airflow anyway to make up for the CO altitude.

Anyway, the bike sounds awesome with it removed. I tend to prefer intake noise over exhaust noise. And it's certainly a lot cheaper than an exhaust. :)

Here's the snorkel, as installed from the factory:
8w8Z4bE.jpg

What it looks like with the snorkel removed:
LXMf4cP.jpg

When you remove the air filter, you can see the airflow straightening tubes going to the throttle bodies:
9MTDVPY.jpg

The OEM air filter. It's an oiled type, so a K&N is probably a waste of money.
MVbLIeU.jpg

The snorkel, removed:
ZE4h92F.jpg

I'll try to upload a video of how it sounds once I fix my GoPro. :-[

AlbatrossCafe

Thanks dude! Those pics help me understand what this thing is. I'd definitely like to hear a video with the increased intake noise if you get around to it!

I removed mine. Based on my experience (with cars anyway), I'm fairly certain it serves no other purpose aside from noise reduction. And my bike could use some extra airflow anyway to make up for the CO altitude. 
Anyway, the bike sounds awesome with it removed. I tend to prefer intake noise over exhaust noise. And it's certainly a lot cheaper than an exhaust. :)

My bike is different to that the UK ones like mine have a big
vacuum controlled flap at the rear that stays open only closing
at certain revs and speed for noise regs, the snorkel also faces
the other way.

DSCF5562_zpsed7bde96.jpg

Hamfisted "The OEM air filter. It's an oiled type, so a K&N is probably a waste of money."

I don't understand. Why would a K&N be a waste of money?

Beemer

Hamfisted "The OEM air filter. It's an oiled type, so a K&N is probably a waste of money." 
I've replaced my OEM with a K&N, and I disagree. The K&N looks like it is a lower resistance air filter than the stock one. How much difference? I can't say for sure.

O judgment! Thou art fled to brutish beasts,
And men have lost their reason. Bear with me.
My heart is in the coffin there with Caesar,
And I must pause...till it come back to me.

I've replaced my OEM with a K&N, and I disagree. The K&N looks like it is a lower resistance air filter than the stock one. How much difference? I can't say for sure.
Agreed. The stock filter may also be an oiled filter but it's an oiled 'paper filter' and the K&N filter uses a cotton fiber filter. Cotton allows better air flow than paper. Aside from that, look at the savings in oil filter replacement over a ten year period.

Beemer

Actually the flow through a "properly" designed snorkel will be higher. Just taking the snorkel off will mean you will have plate/hole turbulence effects. However it appears from dyno runs that removing the snorkel increases the power, so the conclusion is that the snorkel ISN'T properly designed. I made a rough flaired inlet to go on top which seems to work well, but still have to get back to it to make a proper one. The stage 2 DNA one is along there lines.
A problem also is that the position of the inlet gets warm to hot air from the engine. Doubt a big increase in power but may be worth blanking the flow up from the engine and radiator.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

Archived