The MT-07 Forum

Steering off post crash..

elan

Hey all,

I've owned my fz 07 for about a year now. I basically was an idiot and doing wheelies (haha they were awesome) until one day I let it rip too hard and my bike went into a tree.

Needless to say, the tree didn't move.

I hit it head on and my steering was bent. Both forks were visibly bent so I had those replaced. This fixed it so that from a 15 degree misalignment, its more of a 3-4 degree now. It still bothers me and I've lived with it for a few months.

I went to the same mechanic and he says its either the handle bars/risers now, triple trees, or frame.

I took apart the handle bar section and the riser and bars seemed 99% straight which makes sense because when I lost control, I didn't have my hands on the grips at all.

I was going 12-15 mph at most so... I really hope it's not the frame.

My mechanic also said he checked and the wheel is straight.

Basically my headlight and handlebars are perfectly aligned with each other and when my wheels are straight they are slightly off to the right (my fender seems to be in the same direction bent at the same magnitude).

When I was riding on the highway, it seems my forks are twisted, I'm just wondering how likely you all think its the triple trees. I've already dropped 550$ to replacing both forks, hoping when I have to drop another 500$ I wont be the frame and totaled, or if there is an alternative. I'm thinking I might take it to a dealer for a second opinion.

Thanks and hoping I can get this sorted out, I'm going to be sad if i replace the triples and its still not 100%. If anyone wants pictures ill provide em when I get home.

Be safe everyone.

I hit a curb and had to straighten out my fork alignment. There are many videos for that. My forks were not bent, but it was still a little off. My guess is you will need to replace the handlebar riser/holder, same as me. Take the spedo off and remove the top handlebar holder. Tie up or have someone hold the bars. Make sure the front wheel and triple tree are straight then take a broom stick and lay it in the holder. The extra length will show you if the riser is bent. Also, if you take off the bottom riser and lay it on a flat surface you will notice it will not lay flat if it is bent. $35 part if I remember and it bends very easily.

bmwpowere36m3

If the handlebars, risers and triples are good.

Try this: loosen upper triple clamp bolts, hold front wheel between legs and twist handlebar to straighten... then retighten triple clamp bolts.

If the handlebars, risers and triples are good. 
Try this: loosen upper triple clamp bolts, hold front wheel between legs and twist handlebar to straighten... then retighten triple clamp bolts.
Hey, can you provide a picture of which bolts to loosen? I'm not quite sure which ones you mean. 
Either from a parts list or a picture, thank you!

Sorry to be a downer but I suspect this frame will bend pretty easily. It is an older style design that has a few long tube lengths unsupported torsionally and narrow overall width. Not exactly a high strength frame. Get you frame alignment checked if I were you. I think the rear swingarm/frame strength is OK, but the front looks fragile.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

bmwpowere36m3

Upper triple clamp bolts... they clamp the triple to the fork tube. Do a google image search, pretty self-explanatory.

Just the ones on the top clamp, NOT lower one. I use this procedure too often on my dirt bike.

Are you sure he replaced the fork tubes and did not just (attempt to) have them straightened?

The fender is attached to the slider. If the wheel is straight forward, that also should be straight unless there's a twist somewhere in the tubes .

Think I would raise the front off the ground, remove the wheel and loosen all the clamps, upper and lower - including the center stem bearing clamp and see if that will align all the bits.

If the frame is bent (and it might be), it's hard to imagine the bike tracking a straight line on its own. Are you feeling any pull to one side or the other? Do you continually have to countersteer to keep it going straight?

Are you sure he replaced the fork tubes and did not just (attempt to) have them straightened?  
The fender is attached to the slider. If the wheel is straight forward, that also should be straight unless there's a twist somewhere in the tubes .

Think I would raise the front off the ground, remove the wheel and loosen all the clamps, upper and lower - including the center stem bearing clamp and see if that will align all the bits.

If the frame is bent (and it might be), it's hard to imagine the bike tracking a straight line on its own. Are you feeling any pull to one side or the other? Do you continually have to countersteer to keep it going straight?

Yeah, I purchased my own forks and he gave me the old (very bent) ones back.

I dont have to counter steer, I can let go of the handle bars at 80 mph and ill continue going straight (without leaning).

My forks seem slightly twisted still, leading so my wheel is slightly angled to the left while my handle bars / headlight / fender seem straight. Ill post pictures tonight when I get hone.

Upper triple clamp bolts... they clamp the triple to the fork tube. Do a google image search, pretty self-explanatory. 
Just the ones on the top clamp, NOT lower one. I use this procedure too often on my dirt bike.

And thanks for the top triple suggestion, ill try that soon before I buy triple trees.

I'd think that if the frame was tweaked, it would no longer track a nice straight line - If the bars and wheel were aligned and it didn't go straight, I'd be more concerned.

Kinda hard to imagine the upper and lower triples to be out of alignment and still be able to slide those big tubes up thru both holes, but it sure sounds like it.

Oh, I would also loosen the hardware holding the front fender as well and tighten those bits last - if you can, even after the wheel is back in place.

Just remember, you have to have the front wheel off the ground

" I dont have to counter steer, I can let go of the handle bars at 80 mph and ill continue going straight (without leaning)."

That's your best news. Means almost assuredly a non critical misalignment. As weird as it sounds you might want to check the rubber handle bar mounts or the bar clamp through bolts to the triple clamp.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

As the fender is also pointing off-center, it's possible those sheet metal mounts also got tweaked. Maybe have a close look at those mounting bits as well.

Archived