The MT-07 Forum

Goldwing

jake

• Premium Member

I took my dads 2003 1800 Goldwing out last weekend for the first time and wow totally different riding experience. My dad said its like riding a dirt bike and after the ride I don't think my dad has ever ridden a dirt bike lol.
[span]    [/span] I took it down some back roads and ripped her up to 80 a few times. The power came on strange to me, it was like nothing. It didn't feel fast to me at all but when I looked down it was faster than I expected.  It was comfy the seat is like a couch and the position was relaxing which I do not personally like it but I understand why someone would.
[span]    [/span]Handling was fine at speed, going slow made me a little nervous felt very unstable to me. The suspension was amazing felt like riding on marshmallows.
For me right now a cruiser is not my bag the fun factor is not there at all for me. I don't know if it will ever be to be honest.

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

• Premium Member
1100 lbs wet right? I couldn't even get on one in the showroom and straighten it up without it feeling unstable. :P
just under 900 lbs but with my fat ass on it yeah its over that.  

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

1100 lbs wet right? I couldn't even get on one in the showroom and straighten it up without it feeling unstable. :P
just under 900 lbs but with my fat ass on it yeah its over that.
It's funny how at the time that Goldwing's came out (76?) chunky bikes were sort of the standard and most guys/kids my age back then thought they were simply powerful, fast bikes and sort of overlooked their size and purpose if they were stripped down, no fairing or bags. Yeah, they were chunky/big looking still but so were a lot of other bikes like the old CB 4's but the first year Goldwing had an unusual engine that couldn't be ignored. A friend had a 78' and they were definitely a powerful, comfortable touring bike with deceptive zip.

Beemer

I can't imagine myself ever being a Goldwing person. I guess if you're retired, your wife likes riding with you(and you don't mind her riding with YOU), and you want to go on a lot of long rides, a bike like that makes sense. The thing I love most about riding is being alone with my thoughts. No radio, nobody in the car talking, no distractions at all, just you, the engine, the curves of the road, and the thoughts in your head. Riding a Goldwing would be almost like being in a car. You have a radio, a passenger, probably a device to talk to the passenger, the engine is quiet, and it handles like crap. Honestly, I think I would rather be in a car than on a Goldwing. To each his own I guess.

bmwpowere36m3

I met two couples (while on vacation) that traveled down from Canada to Bar Harbor, ME. Both rode fully decked out Goldwings... Very impressive. Certainly a nice bike for great distance touring.

Archived