The MT-07 Forum

Powerbronze Rear Hugger review

AlbatrossCafe

AlbatrossCafe

Just installed this rear hugger with "Carbon Look" color and the "blue" mesh vents for an extra $20 ($180 total). I ride rain or shine and expect to ride all winter, so I wanted a fender that would hopefully protect my shock a bit more than stock and maybe save my backpack from getting as dirty as it does. But let me say, I am already regretting it.

The rear hugger looks sweet in those pictures and it I thought it would "mesh" well (*rimshot*) with the mesh intake vents in the front of the FZ. I have the 2015 liquid graphite FZ-07. The "Carbon look" was definitely the way to go over the glossy black, but the blue that I ordered doesn't match the blurple. From far away, you don't really notice, but up close it's clear that the hugger's blue is a true blue as opposed to a "bloo". I'm hoping that once it gets dirty it doesn't matter.

Installation was fairly easy. Getting around the rear-brake hose was a little difficult but it didn't take me more than an hour or so total. Warning: Opinion Ahead - However, after installation, I realized that rear huggers are just a stupid accessory in general. The bike looks way better with the stock one or with none at all. This just looks awkward especially given that the rest of the bike is naked.

Not a bad product except that the blue color doesn't match. Fits well. But I will probably remove in Spring and try to get rid of it. I do have one question though...

Does anyone else with this rear hugger have a super-weird indent in the right side of it? I originally thought this was for the rear-brake fluid container to have room, but that thing has plenty of clearance. It looks like it got like smashed or inverted or something. Not sure if this is by design or if it is just mine. See pics below:

bgjcaq4isvKm5ubgjcaq4.jpgisvKm5u.jpgigd6UZb.jpgczEfXCm.jpgNQUtppO.jpg

travisaurusrex

Did the hugger provide any functional use? i.e. did it help keep rain/mud off the spring and your backpack?

AlbatrossCafe
Did the hugger provide any functional use? i.e. did it help keep rain/mud off the spring and your backpack?
Put it on last night, and just tested it out this morning. I made sure to clean the rear-shock and wipe down that general area before installation so I could compare before/after. This morning it wasn't super rainy but the roads were still wet. Not much water pooling though. I'll get back to you in a week or so because as of now I can't really draw any conclusions. 
At least so far, the shock is clean, but there is still some dirt on the ceiling above the tire where I thought the hugger would have covered. All I really care about is the shock and rear-part of the engine though. My backpack is still slightly wet but I don't fault the hugger for that - it looks like that is coming from the very back of my tire. I will say it doesn't look as bad in the daylight and when I'm not 2ft away from it like I was in my garage last night, but I'm still not a huge fan.

Pics:
TTXUEgX.jpgn3yp617.jpgF8eMRs4.jpg

AlbatrossCafe
I went with the mud splash guard plate from Access Design France it should be here anyday now, will give feedback after i test it out.
Sweet mother of god, 239.00€ (Over $260) for that? It looks so awkward to me, but I'm sure it would keep my backpack clean. I don't think I could justify its function to be worth the "cost" of how it looks to me lol. I am curious to hear how it helps though. 

Very post industrial... It would suit the bike in you avatar pic Albtrosscafe.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

It looks to me that, like you said, that the indent is for if the bike bottoms out on the shock travel, the brake reservoir won't hit the hugger because of that indent. I have no idea if that's what it's for, but that's what it looks like to me.

Tottaly agree, i was the same @albatrosscafe, I went for the ermax hugger after looking at pictures of it for ages, once it was fitted it just didnt look right :(

Since put original back on with an extender piece.

AlbatrossCafe
Tottaly agree, i was the same @albatrosscafe, I went for the ermax hugger after looking at pictures of it for ages, once it was fitted it just didnt look right :( 

Exactly... it looks like really flat for some reason. What did you do with your old one? Can you post a pic of your bike with the extender? 

Exactly... it looks like really flat for some reason. What did you do with your old one? Can you post a pic of your bike with the extender?
Ermax one is lying in the shed just now. Pics below of Extender from Pyramid. :)  
ojpnoj.jpg

2nv6vpf.jpg

AlbatrossCafe
Ermax one is lying in the shed just now. Pics below of Extender from Pyramid. :) 
That is sweet!! I like the look of it way better. Is it just a glue on? And it is 1/5 the price of the Powerbronze one.... ugh lol  

• Premium Member
Put it on last night, and just tested it out this morning. I made sure to clean the rear-shock and wipe down that general area before installation so I could compare before/after. This morning it wasn't super rainy but the roads were still wet. Not much water pooling though. I'll get back to you in a week or so because as of now I can't really draw any conclusions. 
At least so far, the shock is clean, but there is still some dirt on the ceiling above the tire where I thought the hugger would have covered. All I really care about is the shock and rear-part of the engine though. My backpack is still slightly wet but I don't fault the hugger for that - it looks like that is coming from the very back of my tire. I will say it doesn't look as bad in the daylight and when I'm not 2ft away from it like I was in my garage last night, but I'm still not a huge fan.

Pics:
TTXUEgX.jpgn3yp617.jpgF8eMRs4.jpg

I have the model installed for about 3000 miles and it definitely helps with dirt, gravel and rain and yes this 'dent' is on mine too.

Love to ride!

• Premium Member

I had one of those on my bike and just couldn't get used to the look, so I took it off last weekend. I'm just going to see how bad the rear gets with the stock piece for now. If I decide I need something, I'll probably go with Ermax, or Puig, because I think they fit the look of the bike a little better (or maybe just an extension).

Why can't left turners see us?

AlbatrossCafe
I had one of those on my bike and just couldn't get used to the look, so I took it off last weekend. I'm just going to see how bad the rear gets with the stock piece for now. If I decide I need something, I'll probably go with Ermax, or Puig, because I think they fit the look of the bike a little better (or maybe just an extension).
yep... same here. It is trying too hard to look cool. I think now I realize I prefer a more minimalistic approach for a fender 

• Premium Member
4pILTXs.jpg

Just recieved my rear splash guard from Access Design, install was kind of hefty (wheel removed) once the backplate is installed, everything was easy to do, when I need to remove the wheel i just need to disasseble to mid piece.

The quality is amazing, it's steel plate and thin, as of this moment there is no rain forecast for a while, will update when so and how this product managed.

AlbatrossCafe
Just recieved my rear splash guard from Access Design, install was kind of hefty (wheel removed) once the backplate is installed, everything was easy to do, when I need to remove the wheel i just need to disasseble to mid piece. 
The quality is amazing, it's steel plate and thin, as of this moment there is no rain forecast for a while, will update when so and how this product managed.
Cool, it looks better than I was expecting, though you confirmed my concerns about the install. Can you take some more pics from farther away?? 

• Premium Member
Cool, it looks better than I was expecting, though you confirmed my concerns about the install. Can you take some more pics from farther away??
Sure thing, tomorrow I'm going to ride it and I'll take some pics.

Archived