The MT-07 Forum

Yoshimura R-77 Stainless vs Akrapovic Carbon

stepside4x4

So I have looked around the forum and can't find a direct answer to this question, but does anyone have any real world experiences hearing these two exhausts next to each other. Is one louder than the other? One more throatier than the other? Is it really worth the extra 200 for the the Akra carbon. Also, I've heard carbon fiber can deteriorate in the sun over time, is this a real issue? On the fence on which one to purchase so some insight would be greatly appreciated as youtube videos can only do but so much. 

Thanks!

• Premium Member

Go with Leo Vince :D

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

stepside, I was in the same boat as you, it is really tough to decide with only crappy sound recordings on youtube. My impressions from reading posts around this forum is that the Yoshi is louder but the akra is deeper sounding, I've read complaints about both being too loud with the baffle out, but that is fairly subjective. Also worth noting the yoshi exhaust has ~2 lb weight advantage which should translate into somewhat of a performance gain but then again the carbon has the snail pipe design and that increased pipe length helps with back pressure which should mitigate some horsepower loss when the baffle is out. Does any of it really make a difference? ¯\\_(ツ)_/¯

In the end I thought the akra looked better, sounded better and "felt" more premium so I spent the extra. My exhaust is still in the mail so I can't give you full impressions quite yet, but I'll definitely post them once I get it!

• Premium Member

I went for the Yoshimura R-77 Carbon basically cause it was (in my opinion) louder, lighter & shipper compared to the Akraprovic Carbon. They both look quite similar and I didn't like the look of the Akra Tt so it wasn't that hard for me to decide. I've been running my bike since April with the Yoshi without DB killer for my daily commute to work and it sounds & looks amazing and I'm really happy with it. I also added a PCV and a DNA stage 2 filters (filter + cover) and the bike runs smoother & faster and the fuel consumption has been pretty much the same (18~20 km/lts). I really didn't care about either one being "not street legal" cause I leave outside the US and they aren't that strict in here about it. In my personal opinion, I'd prefer to get the Yoshi and save the "extra" the Akra cost to get a fuel/ignition controller as well, but that's just me.

Here is a short video riding in the highway so you can hear a little of it. Sound was picked from the mic inside my helmet so apologies for the wind noise (notice I was in 5th so still could have gone faster but needed to take the incoming exit so "speed mission" was aborted :P) Cheers to all!

[video src=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjSopVMLnHE]

You've never seen me cause I'm too damn fast!

It's true the differences in pipes are minimal but why would anyone pay hundreds of dollars for a supposed 'performance pipe' that makes your bike slower than when you had your stock pipe on? My logic is if I'm going to pay hundreds for a performance pipe then I'll pay a little more for one that actually 'performs' and doesn't just sound/look good. You only live once, you deserve the best, get an Akra carbon. (save until you can afford it, you will feel the difference and it's worth it. Don't lie to yourself and settle for some poser race pipe)

Beemer

pineappleunderthesea
It's true the differences in pipes are minimal but why would anyone pay hundreds of dollars for a supposed 'performance pipe' that makes your bike slower than when you had your stock pipe on? My logic is if I'm going to pay hundreds for a performance pipe then I'll pay a little more for one that actually 'performs' and doesn't just sound/look good. You only live once, you deserve the best, get an Akra carbon. (save until you can afford it, you will feel the difference and it's worth it. Don't lie to yourself and settle for some poser race pipe)

Are you saying that the Yoshimura Carbon pipe is slower than the Akra Carbon? Seems like the dyno graphs (after a flash) from 2WDW show they are about the same, with maybe a slight advantage with the Yoshimura. I'm debating between these two so it'd be nice to get opinions in terms of sound vs. performance.

Are you saying that the Yoshimura Carbon pipe is slower than the Akra Carbon? Seems like the dyno graphs (after a flash) from 2WDW show they are about the same, with maybe a slight advantage with the Yoshimura. I'm debating between these two so it'd be nice to get opinions in terms of sound vs. performance.
That's after a flash. Not the same thing.

Beemer

• Premium Member

It was a quality issue for me and what I could afford I think the difference in hp from one exhaust to the next is nothing the average guy would notice on the street. I purchase the 2 brothers and I'm very happy with it. I noticed my top end is a little lower by like 5 to 10 mph.
Mainly you are going for the sound IMO and I think no matter what you choose you will be happy with it over the stock. I liked the quiet at first but after you get an exhaust it make the bike sound how it feels, and its all about feelings and emotions IMO.

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

It was a quality issue for me and what I could afford I think the difference in hp from one exhaust to the next is nothing the average guy would notice on the street. I purchase the 2 brothers and I'm very happy with it. I noticed my top end is a little lower by like 5 to 10 mph. Mainly you are going for the sound IMO and I think no matter what you choose you will be happy with it over the stock. I liked the quiet at first but after you get an exhaust it make the bike sound how it feels, and its all about feelings and emotions IMO.
I wouldn't have thought you could tell or not tell much by seat of the pants testing but after seeing a number of Yosh video's on you tube (before I bought my pipe) where the guys said that compared to when their bike was stock, it felt less powerful and less torque on the low end with their Yosh and they didn't seem very happy with that. Other similar pipes without the loop have caused similar displeased reactions. It's one of the main reasons I bought the AC, no video's with complaints about loss of low end torque/power with that pipe.

Beemer

pineappleunderthesea
That's after a flash. Not the same thing.
Ah yes, I should have specified:  I would be getting a flash tune after installing the pipe, I guess the flash might even out all these pipes...

• Premium Member

I personally would go with a reflashed ECU, the Lil things that get tweaked cannot be replicated by the EJK make a world of difference

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

Stepside, I finally got my Akra Carbon and installed it, sounds MONSTROUS. I can't compare against the Yoshi, but absolutely recommend the Akra!

Archived