The MT-07 Forum

mirror extenders

gtmn

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@mysweetfz07 I like the style you linked better than the original posted. I would prefer the mirrors JUST go farther out, not up as well, and those do that a little better

2016 silver w blurple

I accidentally deleted my question about the color of your bike! Lol! Saw a red one this morning with rider on a black helmet. Was wondering if it was you.

These are the ones I ordered, and yes, I'm still waiting for them to get here from China :( 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-CNC-Mirrors-Riser-Extender-Adaptor-MT-01-03-TDM-900-MT-07-MT-09-FZ-09-/280640301520

LOL! Happened to me to with a set of levers from Mad Hornets. 10 days from ordering to my doorstep. I just can't do that again. Too impatient.

Ten days isn't bad, that's just long enough for me to forget I bought therm. It's like a random gift just showed up.

Guest 2wheeler

I just posted this in the daily thread, but wanted to add it to this thread just in case somebody is searching for this in the future...

I installed my newest experiment today - 2" round blindspot mirrors

First off, yesterday I installed mirror extenders

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-CNC-Mirrors-Riser-Extender-Adaptor-MT-01-03-TDM-900-MT-07-MT-09-FZ-09-/280640301520

I played around with different locations for the blindspot mirrors, and settled on just inside the point on the outside of each mirror. This allowed me to see the most space behind and to the side of me.

I put about 125 miles on today of a mix of interstates and secondary roads. While the blindspot mirrors eat up some of the regular view of the Yamaha mirrors, there is still plenty area there to get a good view of what is at your side. The mirror extenders dramatically make that possible.

Regarding how well the blindspot mirrors actually work, I'm willing to say that after you get use to using them, you really don't need to turn your head every time you are changing lanes - there are no blindspots with those mirrors and the extenders installed. Before I hear a ton of crap about that statement, let me say that I have been using blindspot mirrors on my cars and trucks for over 20 years, so I am very use to doing an instantaneous check of both mirrors before I take an action. Developing habits takes 100s if not 1000s of repetitions, so be very careful for a while if you decide to install them. Having said that, I already feel way safer with them than not, especially with the extenders installed.

Sadly, the two things that Yamaha dropped the ball on are both related to safety

1. Crap mirrors
2. Horn button location

Lastly, if you decide to try the blindspot mirrors, do not let the edges of the blindspot mirror touch the edges of the Yamaha mirror as it creates any unbelievably annoying buzz. Yeah, I found out the hard way, and am going to need to replace both of them. It didn't prevent me from testing them though. Plus they cost $2.59 at Advantage Auto so NBD.

• Premium Member

I've ordered many things from China, (to the Central US time-zone) and most have not taken all that long to arrive. The slowest for me seems to be shipments from the UK!!!

Hi guys. Finally, I just received my mirror extenders and install them this noon. Here is the result.

146350860772841134945_zpsywyhyjpz.jpg

1463508441724355192197_zps6e0wjzwv.jpg

Totally satisfied with these about the look. I cannot comment now for the vibration when riding it but if it's the same then others, it will not be a problem. All the assembly seems pretty solid like OEM.

Oh, I have one question. Does someone know the type of steel of the bolt? I wonder if the bolts/washers will rust in a long term?

Thanks

Not being biased at all....;)   But I like the adventuretech better. They almost look oem. The others with the up and out and up and up look funny to me. Though I admit if the adventuretech did not exist I would have the up and outs as well.

Oh, I have one question. Does someone know the type of steel of the bolt? I wonder if the bolts/washers will rust in a long term? 
Thanks
Yep, the head will rust. I painted mine (Yamaha purple blue), but be gentle when screwing back the bolts or the paint will peel. 
R0002771-1_zpsd6vhilma.jpg

R0002772_zpslvfpsfji.jpg

• Premium Member

Why not just replace the bolts with stainless and be done with it? Just curious...

Why not just replace the bolts with stainless and be done with it? Just curious...
Because my mirro ajustment is done? loll  More seriously, it is a good idea but I wonder if I would be able to find a reserve treaded stainless bolt of this size.... 
This is why I was going with a protective coating. But now your are talking about that, I think this could worth the time to do some research to find them.

• Premium Member

I buy SAE from McMaster-Carr, but odd-ball metric I get from a variety of specialty shops online, the names of which escape me, but I'm sure google would find them; that's how I came across them. Good luck!

Ok.... After many research, I cannot find on the web the left hand bolt M10 threaded 1.25. Only the 1.50 threaded.... but our bike need the 1.25 (fine) thread

If someone could find it, please, let me know. Either stainless or titanium will do it.

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...
Guest 2wheeler

Time for an update on the mirror extenders and the blindspot mirrors. After another month and five hundred+ more miles, I got say the combo is working well. I was on a 200 mile ride on Sunday, and was realizing that I'm getting very comfortable using the 2" blindspot mirrors. Riding has gotten a bit easier without having to constantly wrench my neck around to check if there is someone along side me. The mirror extenders definitely get your elbows out of the picture. Plus they don't make your bike look like it has goofy martian antennas like the Adventure Tech ones do.

Archived