The MT-07 Forum

WORST chain adjusters EVER...

recurveshooter

recurveshooter

[em]I've owned about 15 or 16 bikes over 50 years and the chain adjusters on this bike are the worst. When you tighten the axle nut the adjustment changes (gets tighter). Yamaha wants you do to it with the bike on the side stand meaning you have to get on your hands and knees to see anything. It is TERRIBLE! By the way, I just adjusted mine, and after 20 minutes (to do a 5 minute job) it occurred to me that I could take a measurement with it on a pit stand (now that I know I have it at 51mm on the side stand). Measuring from the rubber chain guide/guard, as Yamaha suggests, 50mm will yield 51 or 52 when on the side stand. Hope this helps.[/em][em]
[/em][em]recurveshooter[/em]

With the rear wheel on the ground, you can remove slack in the chain adjusters by holding the rear brake and pushing the bike forward. Not so much of an adjustment change when tightening the axle in this case.

Kick the tire forward to remove and slack in the adjust then use the lock nut. I don't see how your adjustment can change. this bike uses the same system as my old one, I have no problems with it at all.

Meh I just eyeball the slack and adjust on a stand now; just a little looser than you want and it tightens up nicely once the axle nut is torqued. I used to pull out the caliper and spend hours getting it right until I realized this was asinine.

I do it on the pitbull, setting it on the tighter side. Worst case scenario, its a tad bit looser on the side stand, which is fine.

The whole axle setup including the chain adjuusters is THE worst sloppiest I have ever seen on any bike. Complete pain to pull the axle and even worse to replace it. Sloppy fitting bits fall everywhere. I intend to completely redesign it.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

• 4 weeks later...
scordiaboy515

Not really, one must think out of the box. Buy yourself a cheap set of dial calipers......they way I do it is when you achieve proper chain tension take off the outer lock nut on the chain adjuster on the drive side, then take your calipers and measure how much of the threaded stud is sticking out....go to the right side of the bike and adjust till you you reach the same measurement. your wheel alignment will be within .010 of and inch.....takes all the guess work out of it. If I'm not clear on my explanation I guess I will have to demonstrate with pics.

Actually once everything is together it is quite an OK adjuster. The problem is the sloppy tolerenced of a million bits and trying to get it back together. And yes I use a digital vernier to adjust then check with a laser level.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

I agree with the OP and GJ, the problem is the RHS alloy outer piece twists and changes the adjustment as you tighten the axle nut. It really is a crap piece of design and very hard to adjust accurately unless there are two of you or have some kind of special tool to stop the RH outer rotating. gregjet, once you have redesigned this engineering monstrosity please share! :)

No problems here. Don't loosen the axle all the way, just enough for it to slide. Most bike change a little bit when you tighten it back up.

• 4 months later...
[em]I've owned about 15 or 16 bikes over 50 years and the chain adjusters on this bike are the worst. When you tighten the axle nut the adjustment changes (gets tighter). Yamaha wants you do to it with the bike on the side stand meaning you have to get on your hands and knees to see anything. It is TERRIBLE! By the way, I just adjusted mine, and after 20 minutes (to do a 5 minute job) it occurred to me that I could take a measurement with it on a pit stand (now that I know I have it at 51mm on the side stand). Measuring from the rubber chain guide/guard, as Yamaha suggests, 50mm will yield 51 or 52 when on the side stand. Hope this helps.[/em][em] [/em][em]recurveshooter[/em]
Sorry to bump an old thread... I read this topic when it was first posted. It didn't resonate with me since the FZ07 was my first bike and I had no issues adjusting the chain...

But then I just got a Kawasaki Z1000... and the chain adjustment on that thing is so easy compared to the FZ07, I finally understand this topic now.

I visit here at least once a week.  Got any questions, ask and I will answer!

• Premium Member

I guess I just don't get it; I put mine on a stand and it was no problem at all. Unlike some, I prefer for mine to be on the loose side.

Archived