The MT-07 Forum

Yet another rear set thread

jayrexer

I've been going through a lot of the rear set threads on here, and other forums to see what people's perspective are on them in general.

My main riding boots are some Sidi ST boots which are considered to be a race style boot.

I love wearing them because of the protective aspect that they offer, but usually end up wearing a common tennis shoe instead...

I find it uncomfortable to wear my boots because of the position my feet are in make it hard to shift with the boot.

My question would be what the best DIY option would be for the rear sets, and also what option is favored on this board from a particular brand (subjective I know). 

Can you not just adjust the shift lever?
I've messed around with that but didn't really work out for me.  
I'd like to have them push back and up more.

Try taking the rubber off the footpegs. That will give you a better gap between the shift and the peg. Or try smaller round pegs. That usually helps as well. I put a set of KTM passenger pegs on that I had laying around. Big improvement.
If you are going to get agressive with it , I agree back and up would be good. Rule of thumb. Shift lever projection about 50mm behind the line of the swingarm as a good start point. After that It's your boots and body geometry that matter.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

I don't understand- how is a narrow and flat race book difficult to shift in, but a tennis shoe is not? Is the boot the right size for your feet? Are you riding with the balls of your feet on the pegs and only moving your foot forward for the shift? Or are you resting on your arches or something?

I've got APmotoarts riser plates on my bike that move the stock rearsets up and back about an inch and a half, which I find help with steering and leg comfort. But I never had any issue shifting before then. If you're feet are legitimately positioned correctly and you're still having trouble, rearsets aren't going to fix that. That's going to be more an issue of your foot position and the shifter height in relation to the peg.

Published 'Chronicles of a Motorcycle Gypsy' a book about my travels on the FZ, and a writer for Motorcyclist Magazine

• Premium Member

From my experience a track bike usually has a backwards shifter...push down to upshift...if that's the case a race boot may not be flexible enough to shift...I wear combat boots 99% of the time ...my race boots require me to shift differ than using combat boots...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

I don't understand- how is a narrow and flat race book difficult to shift in, but a tennis shoe is not? Is the boot the right size for your feet? Are you riding with the balls of your feet on the pegs and only moving your foot forward for the shift? Or are you resting on your arches or something?  
I've got APmotoarts riser plates on my bike that move the stock rearsets up and back about an inch and a half, which I find help with steering and leg comfort. But I never had any issue shifting before then. If you're feet are legitimately positioned correctly and you're still having trouble, rearsets aren't going to fix that. That's going to be more an issue of your foot position and the shifter height in relation to the peg.

How did you purchase those plates? They took my order in August but never charge my card. After a few emails saying the product will be delays, I heard nothing from them since. And now I can't seem to be able to get any response. :( I was so hoping they would just sell me one

From my experience a track bike usually has a backwards shifter...push down to upshift...if that's the case a race boot may not be flexible enough to shift...I wear combat boots 99% of the time ...my race boots require me to shift differ than using combat boots...

Gp shift, the reverse shift order, is preference and can be put on any bike. You still have to both up and down shift a race bike regardless of what direction up and down is. They are absolutely flexible enough to ride a motorcycle in

Published 'Chronicles of a Motorcycle Gypsy' a book about my travels on the FZ, and a writer for Motorcyclist Magazine

How did you purchase those plates? They took my order in August but never charge my card. After a few emails saying the product will be delays, I heard nothing from them since. And now I can't seem to be able to get any response. :( I was so hoping they would just sell me one

I know the guy personally, so I bought them at his shop. I got them put on about... Maybe a month ago? but my set is a prototype set, so I don't know if they're in full production yet. Maybe hit him up on Facebook via the fz07r page?

I just find that the racing boots are much firmer (as they should be) when trying to shift. I ride with the balls of my feet on the pegs.

When I shift, I tend to flex the front of my foot up, vs moving my entire foot to shift if that makes any sense?

I've ridden other bikes with rearsets and my boots on and they have been much easier to shift than the FZ.

Maybe it's just a personal preference thing.

Archived