The MT-07 Forum

Bubbly Paint. Can it somehow keep spreading?

darkassangel

So today I finally decided on removing the warning label off the left tank side. after trying different methods of taking the sticker off I finally became frustrated and brought a torch out to burn that son of a gun sticker off!!!!!! Well I obviously wasn't thinking straight and two or three seconds after torching the sticker it burnt the paint a bit and caused it to bubble. I worry about it possibly spreading to the rest of the paint? Maybe the paint will begin to chip?? Should I consider buying another cover or do you guys think it'll be just fine?? here's a picture of the aftermath...

burnt%20paint_zpsrnvxu5mv.jpg

You know, I was going to make a joke on the other topic and post "why you using a torch to remove the sticker?".. then I saw this topic.

:( :( :(

*slowly leaves topic with a sad face*

Engaging with people that have personality disorders on a message board is like arguing with a rock.

• Global Moderator

It has a possibility to chip/peel. Spread? Probably not.
If it were my bike I'd spend the 100 bucks or so to get a new panel... and hey... no sticker on that one to worry about :P

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

You know, I was going to make a joke on the other topic and post "why you using a torch to remove the sticker?".. then I saw this topic. 
:( :( :(

*slowly leaves topic with a sad face*
Yeah I wouldn't recommend using a torch to anyone lol 

It has a possibility to chip/peel. Spread? Probably not. If it were my bike I'd spend the 100 bucks or so to get a new panel... and hey... no sticker on that one to worry about :P
Yeah I'm looking up the part right now because it bugs the hell out of me. And once it begins to chip it'll bug me even more!!

• Global Moderator

Yeah, just couldnt tell you which one is the graphite paintcode

• Global Moderator

Sorry... meant in the part numbers
p1,p2,p4 are the options...
Im guessing one correlates with each paint code... but idk which is which

• Global Moderator
Sorry... meant in the part numbers p1,p2,p4 are the options...
Im guessing one correlates with each paint code... but idk which is which

Im an idiot sorry dude

Looks like you were ahead of me the whole time

• Premium Member

DId you not decided to do a search on how to remove the sticker? There was a lot of useful information on here and I had just posted something on here about 2 weeks ago because I just accomplished this task. It was very easy and made quick work of it.

http://fz07.org/thread/758/removal-warning-sticker-fuel-tank?page=4

Here is the thread where I posted.

• Premium Member

Hairdryer man.... a hairdryer! Steal your wifes, girfriends, sisters. Just ditch the torch. ;(

Everything went braap.

i can't figure out why so many people have such a hard time taking the sticker off. its not that difficult. only took me 10min without using heat.

Now that you know where the thread about taking the warning sticker off  is you just need to find the thread about making your own time machine so you can go back before the torch bungle and use your new found knowledge to make everything alright once again.  ;) 

Beemer

i can't figure out why so many people have such a hard time taking the sticker off. its not that difficult. only took me 10min without using heat.
You were lucky. Most bikes I've had were a struggle and the 07s were no different.  
They can be a real b*tch. It took a long time with hair dryer and wd40 to remove them on both our 07s. Plastic gift/credit/etc. cards work well for the scraping part.
I try to get to them asap. Leaving them to the elements only serves to make them more resilient.

Kudos to the OP for posting. This is something many would not own up to. But hey, sh*t happens.

Now that you know where the thread about taking the warning sticker off  is you just need to find the thread about making your own time machine so you can go back before the torch bungle and use your new found knowledge to make everything alright once again.  ;) 

I think that's what I'm going to dedicate my time now! Creating a time machine!!! Hahaha I need to go back before I brought out the torch! ????

• Premium Member

You need to go back to the day before the last Pick 5 mega millions, and then buy 7 07's. One for each day.

Everything went braap.

Let bike sit in hot sun for a while, then apply a hot wet rag gor 19 minutes or so. Peel off. It was that easy.
If I were you I'd just order new plastics which might come with no stickers ..

bmwpowere36m3

Heat gun (real one) on low, a few inches away from surface, heat till the surface is fairly warmto touch and begin lifting a corner… if it doesn't cooperate, a little more heat and so on.  Then clean up any remaining residue with WD-40 on a MF towel.

FWIW I tried peeling, then WD40, then hot water soak...couldn't move it...used a heat gun and while I got the sticker off without adversely affecting the surrounding paint the freaking paint bubbled where the sticker was...dammit! :'( >:D

• Premium Member
Eastern Kayaker
You may want to get the 2 damper pieces for the panel. See Ref# 4 and 56. You can remove these damper pieces from the damaged panel and reuse on new panel since they are glued on the panel. However, it may be easier to just order the new damper pieces, since they are only a couple dollars for both pieces. These damper pieces are foam pieces that cushion the panel to prevent rattling.

Archived