The MT-07 Forum

Easy way to remove warning label from Gas Tank

Cruizin

I see this asked by new riders on every single bike forum so here we go.

Get a sponge, soak it in warm water.

Do not wring it out.

Place warm/wet sponge on warning label.

Push down and hold for three minutes.

Now gently peel your label off.

TA DA!

Seriously, this is the easiest way to get her done!

• Global Moderator

Perfect timing. I just spent half an hour getting that @%¥! sticker off. And then I saw your post. At least it is off.

I see this asked by new riders on every single bike forum so here we go.  
Get a sponge, soak it in warm water.

Do not wring it out.

Place warm/wet sponge on warning label.

Push down and hold for three minutes.

Now gently peel your label off.

TA DA!

Seriously, this is the easiest way to get her done!

OK, if it's really this easy...I am gonna cry, man I just spent like 10min getting a sticker off my helmet

• Global Moderator

Should have known. I had three blister on my thumb and fingers from rubbing.  x_x 
The plastic top layer went off fine but that stuff underneath was a p.i.t.a.

scordiaboy515

What I have been doing for years is using a heat gun set on low, warm it up just a bit....maybe 5 -10 seconds, peels rite off. Any residue can be removed with 3M Adhesive remover, this stuff will not harm any surface i.e paint, chrome, aluminum, rubber etc.

Guest MXRider

I've had good luck letting them sit in the sun for a while in the past, but sometimes they are tough and I use some brake clean. Will give this a shot next time.

scordiaboy515
I've had good luck letting them sit in the sun for a while in the past, but sometimes they are tough and I use some brake clean. Will give this a shot next time.
brake clean will definitely destroy the paint and plastic......not a good idea :-[ 

Guest MXRider

brake clean will definitely destroy the paint and plastic......not a good idea :-[

I've never had it damage paint or plastic in 15 years of doing it on cars or motorcycles.

• Global Moderator

I've never had it damage paint or plastic in 15 years of doing it on cars or motorcycles.
Brake clean doesn't hurt paint or plastic as far as I know. It comes in spray cans and I use it for everything.
Brake fluid is nasty stuff and eat paint and plastic. I actually use brake clean if I spill brake fluid.

Removal of the sticker on my FZ-07 was a easy task. I let the bike in the sun and it was hot. So the label came really easy. Seems that my dealer put easy label on my bike. ;). I used a bit of base cleaner (for cross-country ski) to remove the residu.

The trick from Cruizin is good. Some say to heat the label with a hair dryer. The label should peel off easier.

past bikes: WR250X, KLR650, V-Strom 1000, DR650, FZ-6, SV650S, Seca II, GS400S, Seca 750, YZ80.

• 9 months later...
  • Premium Member

Just use a heat gun or your chick's blow dryer and rip it off slowly.

• Premium Member

My dealer had removed mine before I arrived to pick it up! Easier yet!!!

Archived