The MT-07 Forum

Strange engine noise (pls help)

andreaspid

yea, this bike makes a lot of noises, i just ignore them since I'm not the only one having them but when you mentioned the valves on my video, you got me paranoid again rick lol. ill just keep on riding and have fun with this bike.

you can ask them to check the valve clearance, but you'll pay for the time, for sure. Not even sure having them check the TB sync is worth it as most have been spot on.  
Get them to have a listen after the oil change.

BTW, does the sound go away when you pull the clutch lever in???

Man, if you guys ever heard the clatter my Rotax makes at 4k, you'd think the motor was gonna explode. I came back from my test ride and said it sounded like the pistons were worn out and slapping inside the cylinders. Sometimes, ya just have to ignore those things - or wear earplugs.

Hello Rick!
Thanks a lot for your answer! My bike makes the same noise like pjohn! Maybe the sound of my video is not very clear but I can definitely say it's the same sound! I can clearly listen it also at idle and also as my bike is having 3500 rpm, it's this crazy ruttle coming somewhere down my fuel tank! When my clutch lever is in I can hear these tik tik just like when my bike is at idle condition!

yea, this bike makes a lot of noises, i just ignore them since I'm not the only one having them but when you mentioned the valves on my video, you got me paranoid again rick lol. ill just keep on riding and have fun with this bike.
You may find that a swap to full synthetic oil will quiet things down. 
Given a choice for out of spec - a loose valve is way better than the ones you won't hear - the tight ones.  

Keep in mind there's no insulated bodywork around the motor to deaden the sounds from all of those moving parts.

A buddy of mine just got a 1290 SuperDuke R - no shortage of clatter from that motor - all, of course, on steroids. He's still getting acquainted with the power, but says it makes his C7 Corvette feel a bit slow. 

• Global Moderator
Given a choice for out of spec - a loose valve is way better than the ones you won't hear - the tight ones.  

Keep in mind there's no insulated bodywork around the motor to deaden the sounds from all of those moving parts.

A buddy of mine just got a 1290 SuperDuke R - no shortage of clatter from that motor - all, of course, on steroids. He's still getting acquainted with the power, but says it makes his C7 Corvette feel a bit slow. 

To be fair to the corvette... its a naturally slow car :P
why they decided to keep the ls5 in it is beyond me
Ive seen a couple of superdukes around here... dont know if they were the 1290r's vut those motors clatter away like a can of pennies on a train... holy hell
Youd think that ktm could engineer a quieter motor

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Agree that your bike sounds normal at idle. Is anything loose, such as the reflectors, key-chain, something silly? Seems like engine vibration my be causing something to rattle, otherwise I would think you'd hear it all the time.

To be fair to the corvette... its a naturally slow car :P why they decided to keep the ls5 in it is beyond me
Ive seen a couple of superdukes around here... dont know if they were the 1290r's vut those motors clatter away like a can of pennies on a train... holy hell

465 hp worth of slow? He's actually talking about a supercharger for the C7 now, lol. That'll keep the traction control busy.  
He sorta just inherited this SDukeR. But he's had a 2009 690 Duke (from before they went a bit cheapo) from new. That motor also makes its share of noises. But overall, the quality of everything on that bike is pretty much top notch. I guess KTM just figures you'll be spending more time going fast than listening to the clatter at idle. 

• Global Moderator
To be fair to the corvette... its a naturally slow car :P why they decided to keep the ls5 in it is beyond me

465 hp worth of slow? He's actually talking about a supercharger for the C7 now, lol. That'll keep the traction control busy.  
He sorta just inherited this SDukeR. But he's had a 2009 690 Duke (from before they went a bit cheapo) from new. That motor also makes its share of noises. But overall, the quality of everything on that bike is pretty much top notch. I guess KTM just figures you'll be spending more time going fast than listening to the clatter at idle. 

I drive vipers and the new charger/challenger hellcats on a daily basis... :/ 400whp just seems slow compared to that.
He shouldve just dropped the money on the ZR1 6.2 supercharged vette from the factory. 650horse or bought a challenger hellcat supercharged 6.2l w/ 707whp.

And ktm's are noisy/rattle at all rpms... not just idle

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

I drive vipers and the new charger/challenger hellcats on a daily basis... :/ 400whp just seems slow compared to that. He shouldve just dropped the money on the ZR1 6.2 supercharged vette from the factory. 650horse or bought a challenger hellcat supercharged 6.2l w/ 707whp.

And ktm's are noisy/rattle at all rpms... not just idle
Well, the "small" vette motor is plenty enough to keep the traction control busy and that's with those big sticky tires that aren't suppose to be used below 40F. Besides, he doesn't need any more help getting speeding tickets - like the SDR will help, lol.  

• Premium Member

My Z06 can go 200 mph and 0-60 in less than 4 on street tires run 10's on drag radials I guess what slow is to me is different to others now. Must be getting old everyone I know has or knows someone with a faster/better everything than me now lol. Did I mention the Z gets over 30 mpg too ;). Oh and feels faster and is faster are 2 different things.  
If the bike still has warranty I would take it in and document the issue just in case. drop a valve and you will loose a piston and a head just for starters. 

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

Archived