The MT-07 Forum

Strange engine noise (pls help)

andreaspid

Hello to you all,

First of all sorry for my poor english

I bought an Mt 07 two months ago... I already have almost 500 km. Few days ago i noticed a strange noise from my engine!

I visited my dealer and told me that the noise is normal, but i wasn't convinced!

Pls take a look at the video

[video src=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRtibhALkgk]

For any advice i will be grateful!

Cheers

Thanks for ur answers guys,

But i am sure i didn't hear this jingling (tik tik tik) from the beginning...

Do u think thats normal?

The sound is normal also comparable to a washing machine  :) ,but the dirt on the engine block not normal just give a nice wash  :D .

I will give it a nice wash on Saturday:)
Maybe this jiggling is on my mind :(

But I have the impression that I didn't hear that when I first bought it

You might have been so excited about getting the bike,that over heard that sound but it's perfectly normal.An after market muffler will make that sound non existent.

If ya really want to be freaked out by noises, put a long screw driver end against the cylinder head somewhere and push yer ear against the handle.

All those sewing machine noises are perfectly normal.

Washing is OK. just be careful where you spray water avoiding electricals and bearings . It's best to use a fine mist

Hello again!
Yesterday i visited my dealer! He made a test ride of my bike for around 20 minutes. He noticed this strange sound coming from the front of my bike! This sound is noticeable when the temp is about 80-85 degrees celcius and the machine working at the 3000-3500 rpm! Its like a tik tik tik coming from the front! He told me that he has no idea from where this sound is coming from!

Well, if you know the sound yer looking for, use that screw driver trick (or a stethoscope if ya got one) to locate where in the motor that sound is the loudest. it'll help narrow down whether in the head or timing chain or whatever.

Would think that a large valve clearance would be more noticeable at idle. Timing chains can also make some noises at idle that will disappear at higher revs.

It could even be a slightly loose header clamp that's not leaking until the motor gets up to temp.

The coolant overflow bottle basically hangs on the front of the motor. Have a look there to make sure it's not looser than it should be.

Unless someone reads this that's had a similar problem, we're probably not gonna be able to help.

Suggest you take it to another dealer.

• Global Moderator

a piece of small diam heater hose could work as well in place of a steth.
Ive never gotten the screwdriver trick to work for me

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

i had similar concern. ive searched, asked and it seems the ticking noise is normal. here is the thread i created, check out my video with similar ticking noise. http://fz07.org/thread/3835/normal-engine-sound

i went to watch videos of our bikes on youtube and i can definitely hear that ticking noise. come next summer ill be putting new exhaust to drown some of the noises this bike makes.

i had similar concern. ive searched, asked and it seems the ticking noise is normal. here is the thread i created, check out my video with similar ticking noise. http://fz07.org/thread/3835/normal-engine-sound  
i went to watch videos of our bikes on youtube and i can definitely hear that ticking noise. come next summer ill be putting new exhaust to drown some of the noises this bike makes.
What sounds more like normal mechanical stuff in decahead's vid, yours sounds like it has a valve clearance out of spec. That it's louder in front would suggest exhaust. But then, it could also be a slight leak at one of the header pipes.  
Considering the 1st valve inspection is at 25k miles, I'd like to think care  would be taken at assembly to get it right. 

Fuel injectors can also make ticking sounds. The injectors in my Aprilia and the K bike I had before tick audibly.

Timing chain guides are tensioned into place with oil pressure. It's not uncommon to hear some rattling at a hot start-up for a couple seconds that goes away as soon as pressure comes up.. My aprilia's rear cylinder chain ticks a bit at idle, but i can only hear when i'm wearing a helmet. goofy.

@rick what do you suggest i should do? I'm up for my 600mi service, I'm doing the oil change myself and planning to have the dealer check my chain and TB sync. have them check the valves also?

thanks
peter

• Global Moderator
@rick what do you suggest i should do? I'm up for my 600mi service, I'm doing the oil change myself and planning to have the dealer check my chain and TB sync. have them check the valves also? 
thanks
peter

Valve check is expensive. I was quoted 4.5hours for just the check, not including the remainder of the 24k service

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

you can ask them to check the valve clearance, but you'll pay for the time, for sure. Not even sure having them check the TB sync is worth it as most have been spot on.

Get them to have a listen after the oil change.

BTW, does the sound go away when you pull the clutch lever in???

Man, if you guys ever heard the clatter my Rotax makes at 4k, you'd think the motor was gonna explode. I came back from my test ride and said it sounded like the pistons were worn out and slapping inside the cylinders. Sometimes, ya just have to ignore those things - or wear earplugs.

Archived