The MT-07 Forum

Sonic springs install question

mike9999

I ordered sonic springs for my weight ( 175 lbs with gear). The springs arrived with a spacer tube. I thought all i had to do was swap out the springs.  How do I know what is the correct length to cut the spacer into?

The sonic springs and the factory springs are the same length, so you shouldn't need it.

Edit: never mind, the race tech springs are the same length. So, double check the length of yours, they may or may not be identical. The spacers are for applications like the SV650 where the factory springs are a few inches longer than the aftermarket ones.

The sonic springs and the factory springs are the same length, so you shouldn't need it. 
Edit: never mind, the race tech springs are the same length. So, double check the length of yours, they may or may not be identical. The spacers are for applications like the SV650 where the factory springs are a few inches longer than the aftermarket ones.

Cool thanks! Going to do the install this Thursday. Have to figure out a way to support the front end. I'm thinking of using a piece of wood under the oil sump and a jack.

If anyone else has any suggestions on how to support the front end please chime in.

• Premium Member

Cool thanks! Going to do the install this Thursday. Have to figure out a way to support the front end. I'm thinking of using a piece of wood under the oil sump and a jack.

If anyone else has any suggestions on how to support the front end please chime in.
Check your local Craigslist or offerup/5miles type apps and look for used triple tree stands. I was able to find a great deal on some pit bull stands. I've seen some for as low as 15 bucks. Usually around 50 or 60. Venom front triple tree stands for as low as 10. Just gotta look and make some offers. It will support the bike much better without worry of it coming loose or damaging something in the process.
I ordered the correct size pin from RevZilla.

Generally you want 10mm of preload on the spring before adjustments. At 175 you got 0.85kg/mm I'm guessing?

With the fork at full extension, drop the spring in, the washer and then measure how many millimeter to the top of the stanchion. add 10mm, subtract the thickness of the fork cap under the lip. That's your spacer length. If you have adjustable fork caps you can tweak preload to arrive at the desired sag values. If you have non-adjustable, buy some (hint!) or cut the spacer say 4mm longer and that should get you pretty close. You may need to add some nice thick washers under the cap if you're still not in the desired range. Or while you've got the PVC in the cutter just cut a couple different lengths. If you run out of PVC, just go to your big-box hardware store and buy a couple feet.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

I ordered sonic springs for my weight ( 175 lbs with gear). The springs arrived with a spacer tube. I thought all i had to do was swap out the springs.  How do I know what is the correct length to cut the spacer into?

Check out sonic site for "tech articles" you'll find instructions there

• Global Moderator

I used a pair of jackstands under my frame-sliders. Worked more than well enough.
http://imgur.com/zdGzL9R

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Archived