The MT-07 Forum

Do you advance into an intersection when making left turn?

pineappleunderthesea

pineappleunderthesea

So I had some "frank exchange of ideas" with colleagues about this situation:  you want to turn left at an intersection but oncoming cars prevent you from going.  If I'm first in line, I'll advance a third to halfway into the intersection, so when the light goes yellow I can make it through, and maybe a couple cars behind me also make it through.  I'm generous that way, you see, always thinking of others  ;)

Some colleagues disagree: they stay behind the line until they have room.  If the light goes yellow, they don't go, they simply wait for the next cycle.  Their view is that I'm blocking the intersection by entering it and waiting.  My response is that no, I'm entering the intersection while the light is green, and if the light goes yellow then I proceed to make my turn.  In no way was I impeding or blocking the flow (i.e. it's not like the light turns red and I'm stuck there blocking everyone's path).

So do you guys advance or wait?

• Global Moderator
So I had some "frank exchange of ideas" with colleagues about this situation:  you want to turn left at an intersection but oncoming cars prevent you from going.  If I'm first in line, I'll advance a third to halfway into the intersection, so when the light goes yellow I can make it through, and maybe a couple cars behind me also make it through.  I'm generous that way, you see, always thinking of others  ;) 
Some colleagues disagree: they stay behind the line until they have room.  If the light goes yellow, they don't go, they simply wait for the next cycle.  Their view is that I'm blocking the intersection by entering it and waiting.  My response is that no, I'm entering the intersection while the light is green, and if the light goes yellow then I proceed to make my turn.  In no way was I impeding or blocking the flow (i.e. it's not like the light turns red and I'm stuck there blocking everyone's path).

So do you guys advance or wait?

Depends on the intersection
here in phx there are numerous intersections that have "Do not block intersection" signs that essentially enforce your colleagues frame of mind.
But if I can, Ill scoot up a bit to allow more than just myself to get through the light. Also allows a slightly better view of oncoming traffic

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Global Moderator

I wait in the intersection until I can turn. That is legal in my state as long as there is no traffic blocking the lane you are turning in to, which there should not be in most cases.

• Premium Member

Advance. But don't hesitate when you have an opening to cross/turn, Impatient (Houston) drivers love mashin the gas on yellow. So you have the potential for red light runners in front of AND behind you.

If I'm first in line, I'll advance a third to halfway into the intersection, so when the light goes yellow I can make it through, and maybe a couple cars behind me also make it through.
That has always been the protocol where I live.

I'm amazed at how many people do not know it.
We do have asshats that will wait till the last second so no one else makes the turn but this is how they have fun. I really hate it when someone honks their horn at old people trying to panic them into making the turn. Seen that more than once.

I go out into the intersection because if you sit back behind the line you can't see vehicles coming beside/behind the car opposite you that is also trying to make a left hand turn. You're too far to the right of it. It's only when you get out into the intersection and can get in front of that car (it's path if it were going straight) that you have a good enough view of traffic coming in the straight lanes to turn safely. If front and rear tires are past the line then you have to proceed through when the light changes to red or else you're considered to be blocking the intersection and it's against the law to back up. I've seen so many people back up instead of proceed through and some cause accidents. (FYI)

Beemer

bmwpowere36m3

I usually pull into an intersection, unless there's a few cars already in it, aren't moving and oncoming traffic isn't letting up. Or not if there is a specific sign prohibiting "blocking the intersection". As long as your within an intersection you can continue if the light turns red (while you're waiting), you have the right of way. While green means go you are supposed to give cars in the intersection (that were waiting to turn) the right of way. That's why there's usually a delay between red and green lights… that and last minute red light runners (I hate those people with a passion).

• Premium Member

ADVANCE, ADVANCE, ADVANCE. That's what is taught in driving school, and also re-iterated in traffic school.

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

I gotta say- anyone who's staying back behind the line until it's 100% clear and won't advance even on a yellow light would get torn apart in LA (And never, ever get where they're going). The only time I've ever seen someone do that is in an act of aggression to force the person behind them to miss the light.

Published 'Chronicles of a Motorcycle Gypsy' a book about my travels on the FZ, and a writer for Motorcyclist Magazine

I think it depends from state to state. Unless it is mentioned as a 'traffic rule' that you cannot advance, it is always advantageous to advance. Apart from the aforementioned benefits it keep the traffic moving. Imagine you are trying to turn left on a busy morning. If you don't advance, you will never get a chance to turn left. If you advance at least the left-turn traffic will move on yellow lights :D.

pineappleunderthesea
I think it depends from state to state. Unless it is mentioned as a 'traffic rule' that you cannot advance, it is always advantageous to advance. Apart from the aforementioned benefits it keep the traffic moving. Imagine you are trying to turn left on a busy morning. If you don't advance, you will never get a chance to turn left. If you advance at least the left-turn traffic will move on yellow lights :D.
I never had to much of a problem in the states I lived, most people advance.  It's not until I got to PA that I noticed the majority of people do not.  I know when I took driver's ed (but this was back in Canada) that the class was specifically told you should advance, but maybe it's not mentioned in PA?  PA is also the state (well, Pittsburgh anyway) where drivers slam their brakes at yield signs instead of accelerating smoothly, so I'm not sure if it's a habit they learn from their parents, or they're told in class to be overabundantly cautious...

Depends on intersection. I will usually pull to where the white line is just in front of or just behind my back wheel. There are some intersections where you can count on 3 or 4 cars running through after the light turns red. I'm much more cautious about those, and usually only put my front wheel over the line while waiting. Word of warning: if a car is behind you and you are across that line, they are going to expect you to turn when the light changes and they may be planning on squeaking through with you. Don't let off your brake until you are absolutely committed to the turn. You don't want to give them impression that you are about to accelerate when you may not be.

Advance! I always advance, so long as the lane I'm targeting isn't backed up. Think of how much longer it takes go travel the distance from behind the line to complete the turn vs when you're already 1/3 in the intersection. Advancing makes it quicker and safer, and allows for more cars to get through per cycle. When I'm on a motorcycle, I actually sit at a 45-degree angle in the intersection so when the opportunity arises I can just take a straight shot, making it quicker to get through.

You're not blocking the intersection if you're waiting to turn left on a green light. If you can't make it out of that turn or through the intersection when the cross-traffic turns green, then you're blocking the intersection.

Archived