The MT-07 Forum

How much aiming did you do for your CYCLOPS headlight?

AlbatrossCafe

AlbatrossCafe

I know there are plenty of threads detailing the installation or review of the cyclops, but my question is - how did you aim it?
No, not how do you actually "aim" the headlight (view this thread for details on that), but how much have you aimed it up, down, left, or right?

I am going to be honest, I love the color and light output of the cyclops, but I hate that it is not a traditional "low beam points down, high beam points up" kind of deal. Instead, it always points in one direction and the low/high beam switch just cycles between 2/4 of the LEDs being lit and 4/4 of them being lit.

I can definitely see better myself but I don't want to blind drivers that are oncoming. If I point it down to make it OK for drivers, I seem to have less view distance for high beams than I did with my stock light. If I point it up higher to fix that, I am going to be destroying other drivers.
I was testing it tonight, and as I was running back towards my motorcycle after looking at it head-on from about 40 feet away, I clotheslined myself on my school bus's mirror and was knocked to the ground LOL. Where it is usable for me, I believe it is too bright for other drivers (even on low-beam setting).

So the question remains, how have you guys aimed your headlight? Is there something I can do to make it point up/down depending on high/low setting like the stock light? I'll try it for a bit but honestly I might have to go back to stock and just point the low beam up a little bit if I can't remedy this.

EDIT: I still have a blind spot in my eye 10 minutes later from looking at the light... ugh

• Global Moderator

I used an industry general rule of thumb.
3 feet off the floor after 25 feet of travel, and biased towards the right shoulder.
Theres a full aiming procedure i'll see if i cant get it from the manual amd edit this post when i do so

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

fooschnickens

I aimed mine as @sorkyah said. Haven't been flashed by oncoming traffic so that's good enough for me. In my opinion it can't be too bright for other traffic, makes them less likely to turn in front of me...

• Global Moderator

After a thorough scouring of the manual, I vant find an aiming procedure.... its just shows you how to adjust it.
I'll look for a general guideline for motorcycles or maybe a motorcycle service manual that is similar to ours with specific specs

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

As I recall I only had to aim it down a little  from the stock bulb's position and that's it. Aiming at my garage door, at about 25 ft. distance away, the brightest part of my high beam is level so that it never strikes directly in anyone's eyes but lights up the road nicely. I ride with my high beam on in the day and the low beam at night and not one person has ever flashed me. If there is a median between the oncoming lanes I will ride with my high's on and still no one flashes me. I love the light, personally.

Beemer

• Premium Member

None, really. Maybe a couple of inches, but I didn't care about oncoming drivers -- I aimed it dead center.

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member
As I recall I only had to aim it down a little  from the stock bulb's position and that's it. Aiming at my garage door, at about 25 ft. distance away, the brightest part of my high beam is level so that it never strikes directly in anyone's eyes but lights up the road nicely. I ride with my high beam on in the day and the low beam at night and not one person has ever flashed me. If there is a median between the oncoming lanes I will ride with my high's on and still no one flashes me. I love the light, personally.
People here sure seem to be divided on this light. I was beginning to worry that I made a unwise purchase. When I get mine installed I'll follow your example here. Have you had any concerns or issues to iron out?

Regards.

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

Mr.Puss
 Albatrosscafe said, "but I hate that it is not a traditional "low beam points down, high beam points up" kind of deal." My experience with my Cyclops bulb was different. My high beam points straight out and my low beam does point lower like a traditional headlight. The one thing I don't like very much is how I want my high beam to be spot on for when I'm going faster and with the high beam adjusted so the brightest (center) part of the beam is pointing straight out the low beam tends to point too low for my liking. It points higher than what the stock bulb did from the factory but that sucka was waaay too low to begin with. It's actually OK in traffic because other vehicles and some street lights help to make the road brighter. It's just when say, you're going through a dark neighborhood at around 35-40 mph. with a car approaching it seems you may be over driving your low beam just a tad, nothing real critical, it just bothers me personally.

Update: Since the low beam bothered me at times I wanted to see if people would flash me with their brights if I left my brights on all the time at night so for the past few days I've been riding with my high on constantly (thumb on the ready) and still, no-one flashes me. That's awesome because the high beam is much brighter than the low so I feel even safer riding this way, I don't feel like I'm over driving my headlight or bothering/blinding anyone! If someone I'm approaching can't see that headlight then they need a dog driving for them. Tonight I am going to make a video that shows the differences between the low and high beam and dispel any rumors of reefer madness, ha!  P-)

Beemer

• Premium Member

I didnt have to aim it at all. I guess I could aim it up in to oncoming traffic a bit more but, it just happened to be aimed perfect.

Archived