The MT-07 Forum

Post the tools you use for a TB sync.

hobbs

• Premium Member

So as the title states, this thread is so users can post the specific tools they use to sync the throttle bodies. A job is always easier with the right tools.

If purchased from a store post a link and your review. If you made your own tools, tell us about it.

I personally have been paying to have it done after my DIY vacuum gauge sucked tits. Now I'm planning to get a decent gauge and flexible screwdriver to take my maintenance destiny back into my own hands.

Everything went braap.

• Premium Member
So as the title states, this thread is so users can post the specific tools they use to sync the throttle bodies. A job is always easier with the right tools. 
If purchased from a store post a link and your review. If you made your own tools, tell us about it.

I personally have been paying to have it done after my DIY vacuum gauge sucked tits. Now I'm planning to get a decent gauge and flexible screwdriver to take my maintenance destiny back into my own hands.

Excuses my lack of knowledge but what the hell is a throttle sync?  

I'm curious to know if anyone has used both the home brew tool and something like the motion pro tool for this job? The home brew tool doesn't seem too tough to make, but I don't mind spending money on a tool if it works well.

• Premium Member

homebrew for me too, mounted to the wall so its always ready. A long skinny pair of needlenose pliers and a long slot screwdriver work for getting the job done without removing the tanks etc
[attachment id=1034" thumbnail="1]

• Premium Member

They are oil catch cans in case a sync is ever really out. Probably never needed but why not

I bought a Carbtune Pro tool after getting poor results with the homebrew solution and it was super easy to use. Cost $100, but I'd rather buy the tool and have it forever then pay someone else to do it. 

I would be willing to loan it out to anyone who needs it, if you wanna work something out feel free to PM me. 

• Premium Member

Comparison I did awhile back between the Morgan Carbtune Pro & The Motion Pro SyncPRO.

This report is not the views of FZ07.org or should they be held responsible for any errors that may relate to the content of this comparison. The content below is from my direct use of both of theses tools and the results are my opinion on the use of these tools.

We all know how important it is for the carbs/throttle bodies to be properly synchronized to make sure that all carbs/throttle bodies are equal for nice throttle response and good rideability. Well what I did was obtain two of the most popular tools for this purpose, The first is the Morgan Carbtune Pro and the other is the Motion Pro SyncPRO. The Morgan Carbtune Pro came from UK and the Motion Pro SyncPRO I picked up at my local motorcycle parts dealer.

The cost of the Morgan Carbtune Pro was $125.00 USD, The cost of the Motion Pro SyncPro was $84.99 USD + Tax which totaled $91.99.

Ok now on to the differences between these two units.

Morgan Carbtune Pro - The Morgan Carbtune Pro uses stainless steel rods that are located by brass bushings in the lower part of the housing. You will also see plastic tubes in the visible area for assurance against breakage from an impact that one might encounter when using a tool such as this. It is secured to the grip by a plastic zip tie during use. This unit also comes with both 5mm & 6mm adapters for use on all current motorcycles. I am attaching a image below that will show the contents of the kit. I had already installed the restrictors so they will not be seen in this image however if you look at the hoses you can see where the restrictors are.

Carbtune%20Pro-4.JPG

Ok on to the Motion Pro unit.

Motion Pro SyncPRO - The SyncPRO uses a proprietary (So they say) fluid that is not harmful to the engine or humans, Unlike the Morgan Carbtune this unit is only supplied with the 5 mm adapters and if you need the 6mm adapters they can be purchased from motion pro or your local dealer. The SyncPRO uses a hook that you install upon first use and it fits nice on the hand grip or anyplace else you care to hang it. I had already installed the restrictors in this unit prior to taking the pictures so you won't see those but they are tapered brass plugs that you push in about 3/8 of a inch on the carb side of the hoses. Also in this image I didn't pull the adapters out of the storage area that is located in the rubber feet of this unit. Below is the image of the fully assembled unit.

Motion%20Pro-2.JPG

Ok now on to getting these units ready for use.

Morgan Carbtune Pro - Not much to setup here, The hoses already come cut and all you need to do is cut the restrictors (small piece of clear hose) into equal lengths. Then you cut 10cm from the end of the hose end and insert the restrictors into the hose about half way and then insert the rest of the restrictor in the remaining long hose (Do this to all four hoses). Attach the hose to the nipples on the Carbtune Pro and this unit is ready for use.

Motion Pro SyncPRO - This is a little more involved but not much, You must cut the single length of hose into four separate equal length hoses and then install the restrictors in the end of the hose tapered end first. Place the hook in the hole at the top of the SyncPRO and close the end so it will not come off.

Ok now on to the usage of each unit, I am not going to be showing these units actually being used to synchronize the carbs but rather how they react when hooked up to one vacuum source. By hooking up to one vacuum source you can see how equal they are and how accurate they will be able to synchronize your carbs.

First is the Morgan Carbtune Pro - With this unit there is no method to adjust the sensitivity of the stainless steel rod to make them all read the same should the need arise. In that attached image below you can see that the number 3 rod is down a bit from the rest. Being a anal person (I am a machinist) I was a bit disappointed that the other three rods were all the same with that one exception and no way to make it read the same.

Carbtune%20Pro-2.JPG

Ok now on to the SyncPRO - This unit is a little harder to get to the lets use this sucker mode. When you first use this tool you must make sure that four screws on the fluid reservoir are backed off and then start the engine and by turning the screws clockwise you will bring the lower columns of fluid even with the highest one and up with all four tubes showing the same vacuum (Remember all four tubes are hooked to the same vacuum source). Attached below is the image after I had set this unit up for use.

Motion%20Pro-1.JPG

Ok so what did I turn to get these all equal? Well as I said there are four separate reservoirs for the fluid and unlike a mercury manometer this unit does not share a common reservoir. On the top of each reservoir they have a screw that when turned clockwise will raise the column and when turned counter-clockwise will lower the column. Attached is a image of where the screws are and what they look like.

Motion%20Pro-3.JPG

To give you a idea on what the insides of the Morgan Carbtune Pro looks like here is the unit with the backing plate removed.

Carbtune%20Pro-5.JPGCarbtune%20Pro-5%3EJPG

Now on to the final comments - Both units are a quality built unit and both should survive a impact should they be dropped or banged up against something. I did not care for the inability to equalize all the rods on the Carbtune Pro unit. With the SyncPRO you must calibrate if you will before every use and it took me about 30 seconds to accomplish this task. With the price difference between the Carbtune Pro and the SyncPRO and the Carbtune Pro not showing any real benefits over the SyncPRO I would suggest saving the extra money (About $35.00 USD) and buy some other tool or lunch.

Well this is the end of my Carb Synchronize tour and if just one person finds this useful then I have succeeded at helping someone.

NOTE: Both units were purchased brand new!

Take Care and Happy Synchronizing.

NorWest

Archived