The MT-07 Forum

Diesel engines

fiercegerbil

Hopefully this hasn't been asked but I did go off tangent on another thread so figured I'd bring it up here. There have been some small steps in diesel powered motorcycles and a select few companies who actually manufacture them. Diesel has advantages over gasoline. Power development, torque and fuel efficiency being the main advantages. Would you consider owning a diesel motorcycle? I think it would be awesome to have a diesel option on the 07 and 09. Hell even the FJ's. Maybe even offer up a sport bike model. Look at what Audi has done in auto racing with diesel. Diesel is the hotrod of today. All it needs is more air and fuel to make more power.

I just like to gauge what people think about things. Maybe if there was enough interest, the big guys might visit the subject and take a serious look at it. Then again, it might be a pipe dream of mine. Lol

Go ahead. Pick on the short guy. Wait... I'm short.

• Premium Member

As far as diesel is concerned, it has all the air it needs. Diesel engines are open air engines. They run lean naturally. I own a 2013 Volkswagen Jetta TDI with 83K miles. It's been the best car I've owned and has saved me $$$ at the pump. The best I've gotten is 714 miles on 14.5 gallons of fuel. Taking this and transferring it over to motorcycles in my opinion may not yield the same exhilarating experience one gets with a gasoline engine. I love being able to rev my FZ all the way to 10K if i feel the need to. That surely won't happen with a diesel powered motorcycle. The physical make up of weight plus having a longer stroke keep that from happening. I think as far as motorcycles, i'd rather keep my gasoline engine.

• Premium Member

I appreciate the diesel engine, but in actuality the public won't be ready to widely accept a diesel in a motorcycle. Diesel is just barely getting more of a foothold in America in passenger vehicles and now VW screws it up. It would surely take someone in particular like Tesla did to come along and prove things to gain the attention and trus needed to be successful. The prices of those bikes are too high just to have a diesel.

There are a few Diesel Enfield conversion running about I've seen 2 or 3
this year but they are not at all lively, they get to about 55 mph but
often manage about 200 mpg UK, you really need a turbo on a Diesel, they
are working on a turbo twin Diesel for the Army as all military vehicles
are going to be required to run same fuel and they will also run on jet
fuel, old tec ones will happily run on cooking oil, about 17 bhp so a bit
better than the Enfield singles but still not
exiting, I would have one I like Diesels all my last 4 cars have been Diesel
but would want a petrol bike as well.

Diesel is a dead end. The EU is in the process of walking away from the very diesels they propagated in the first place; they are starting to view NOx emissions as a more serious threat than CO2. The increasingly stricter worldwide emissions requirements will make them financially prohibitive to manufacture in the not so distant future.

Diesel is slippery on the road, and diesel exhaust poisonous in your lungs. Diesel engines are low revving, agricultural, and terribly boring. Not to mention heavy, expensive, and complex due to oft necessary turbocharging, ultra high pressure fuel injection systems, and additional emissions hardware to curb diesel particulate (e.g. Mercedes' urea injection).

I'll keep dreaming of Super Duke 1290s, Yamaha R1s, and Tuono 1100 V4Rs.  I'll leave you to dream of a diesel NC700x.  

• Global Moderator

I could definitely see a touring bike like the fj09 or even some of the big cruisers(raider,stryker)
I have ridden a couple of the old military 2stroke diesels and i loved em
But i dont think you can ever get the same performance out of a 4stroke diesel as you can gas in a sport type bike.
Someone mentioned Audi's diesel racing engines.. those particular engines are built for power not torque. And they dont have any of the aftertratment systems required on new diesel engines(dpf,scr/urea cat) there is also the fuel audi racing uses
Jp7 is an awesome fuel with huge amounts of power available,but not legal for on the road use.

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Premium Member

I'll say no. Just because I don't want to hook up a block heater for 20 minutes every time I get ready to leave in the morning when it's cold.

Everything went braap.

Have any of you ever test rode a Zero electric bike? Once you do, you might forget about diesel engines.

The fastest bike in the world is, electric.

The battery technology is getting better every year. Higher strides made ea year in miles per charge.

Keep your FZ-07's. Pay em off, ride em like crazy and in 8-10 years, electric bikes will go faster and further than gas or diesel bikes.

And don't judge an electric bike until you go test one. You'll freak when you twist that throttle. There is no powerband. You dont have to rev it up to get into power. Full power available at all RPM's, with a flick of the wrist.

Not trying to be argumentative but offer up my point on potential here. This is a quote on a bike in particular that got my interest on the subject.
"Star Twin’s Thunder Star 1200 TDI was rolling proof that tree-huggers may also wear knee-sliders. When their prototype was introduced in 2005, the Thunder Star was powered by a 3-cylinder, 1.2-liter turbo-diesel engine that first saw the light of day in the European-only Volkswagen Lupo. With some electronic re-mapping wizardry, Star Twin’s 450-pound (wet) super-sport could roast rubber, churning out 180 horsepower and 250 lb-ft of torque, or cruise around comfortably delivering 95 MPG. Outfitted as it was with top-performance brakes, suspension and carbon wheels, the Thunder Star clearly had apexes in mind with its design. The Thunder Star was also designed to ride in a comparable manner to the other lighter bikes of that era. Turning and braking would feel the same, but coming out of a curve, this diesel brute offered up the full monty of torque at about half of the rpm of its petrol-powered peers. If only they’d gone to market with it."

I can't speak for emissions. Different places have different requirements. But different grades of diesel could be the answer. The Shell Audi R10 race car used a premium fuel. It was a blend of conventional diesel and synthetic. Benefits included lower emissions and soot, no exhaust odor and increased lubricity for the fueling components.

Then again, a mass produced mainstream diesel motorcycle may be a concept that's a dollar short and a day late. Emission regs are increasingly tightening down. Just like Carter's EPA killed the classic muscle car. I just like to get people thinking. I love a good debate.

And you are spot on about electric bikes, Cruizin. They are fast and quick. Only 2 real issues with electric to overcome before they can replace a combustion engine. Battery tech which has been rapidly improving and our antiquated electrical infrastructure here in the states. But with continued investment, research and development, I do believe motors will replace engines on most if not all forms of transportation. Changing times ahead my friends.

Turbo diesel limitation on motorcycles is dictated by price point. And for now, its still too expensive. For cars its a different story. Usually, people who purchase diesel cars expect doing a certain high mileage with their vehicles, its a rare case for motorcycles. Only a niche market could offer such a bike, mostly for adventure and commuters. Even so Europe loves diesel, there is still no diesel for commuter motorcycles. Its just too expensive.

To me, the biggest sign that we need electric to take over is that we are now having to pump water into the ground to harvest petroleum and it is causing earthquakes and horrible drinking water issues. That's just plain desperate measures.

Don't know about the US but in the UK but every Motorway service has at least 2 charge points
many big stores have them on the car park and some are at parking areas in towns, you pay for
a card about £5 $7 something like that it unlocks the charger and the lecky is free, never seen
a Electric bike but have seen a few cars.

fooschnickens
Don't know about the US but in the UK but every Motorway service has at least 2 charge points many big stores have them on the car park and some are at parking areas in towns, you pay for
a card about £5 $7 something like that it unlocks the charger and the lecky is free, never seen
a Electric bike but have seen a few cars.
There are a lot of charging stations in my area, though it's admittedly on the more "posh" side of town in the suburbs. Several shopping centers have free charging stations and all the local metro/bus lots have them as well. It also helps that there's a Tesla dealer right around the corner from me. It's classic seeing those things beat up on Jimbob in his bitchin' camaro. 
I wholly agree with @thomascrown, though. Diesel has been rapidly approaching its end-of-life for quite some time. I would not be surprised if we eventually see it phased out of consumer use and left completely to the commercial sector where its heavy-duty prowess is best put to use.

• Global Moderator
N O !!!

10 words... Banks Dual compound bi-turbo cummins diesel Top Fuel class dragster(turned motorcycle)

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Premium Member

Still... N O !!!

(Someone can/will make almost anything "work," but that doesn't mean I want it.)

Archived