Sign in to follow this  
fiercegerbil

Piston upgrade?

fiercegerbil
This may have been asked about already but I don't recall seeing anything about this so far strolling through threads. If it has, I do apologize.

I was researching upgrades and came across Wiseco pistons which boost compression to 12.5:1. I've tried searching for more info like people actually installing these. I haven't come across anything aside from the Wiseco site. Does anyone here have any information? This could be a viable upgrade. Would like to know some numbers on this. Of course, it could not be worth the upgrade if total cost vs power or decreased reliability are poor. Just curious about options. I'm a "what if" kinda guy.

bmwpowere36m3
Given the bike has only been for sale in the US for a couple of years.... I doubt anyone has "opened" the engine to install hi-comp pistons. That said, don't bother and I'll leave it at that. Better off installing a full-exhaust and re-mapping the ECU either via flash, PC or EJK.

Guest Ralph
The compression ratio on this bike is high enough,
what I think would help are fast road cam's and
a cylinder head port clean up, it sounds and feels
like it as very mild cams. Not that I am likely to
do it, if I ever get so I am regularly hitting the
full throttle stop I will just buy a faster bike.
  • Like 1

gregjet
What it needs is a piston /barrel kit to increase the piston by 2-2.5 mm and keep the 11.5:1 or thereabouts. Then I could make my LAMS 655cc bike a 733cc bike with 2.5mm items. The pistons could be a nice cleantop almost flat surface. I'd be happy to keep the cams as is and the ports look like they would be happy flowing that with minimal cleaning.

thomascrown
Given the bike has only been for sale in the US for a couple of years.... I doubt anyone has "opened" the engine to install hi-comp pistons. That said, don't bother and I'll leave it at that. Better off installing a full-exhaust and re-mapping the ECU either via flash, PC or EJK.
I think the pro flat track folks have opened it up, and these pistons being available is probably due to them going to wiseco first.

thomascrown
What it needs is a piston /barrel kit to increase the piston by 2-2.5 mm and keep the 11.5:1 or thereabouts. Then I could make my LAMS 655cc bike a 733cc bike with 2.5mm items. The pistons could be a nice cleantop almost flat surface. I'd be happy to keep the cams as is and the ports look like they would be happy flowing that with minimal cleaning. 

There is no barrel. The crankcase is the barrel, so boring it out requires complete disassembly and machine work. There may not be enough material to work with either to go more than 689.

• Like 1

gregjet
Well spotted TC. I just looked up the engine parts and the top case and barrels are one piece. There goes that dream. From the pic of the taken apart engine there isn't a lot of meat to play with between the piston and the water gallery. Looks like a stroker kit might be the only way to get any real displacement increase. Admittedly it would suit the stock cams a bit better.
3mm offset ( 6mm total) increase in stroke would give 750cc.

N/A
GJ, stroking her "could" introduce a plethora of nightmares. Balance issues, fuelling problems and a rocking couple caused by having to use shorter rods come to mind, not to mention a huge hole in your wallet. Is there a stroker kit available?

fiercegerbil
I reckon as the newness wears off the 07 there will be more options available on the performance side. I'm not saying I'd go as far as opening the engine. Exhaust and ECU upgrades are easy and don't sacrifice reliability unless someone goons up. I just think it's a interesting option. Certainly looks more viable than turbocharging. If the weight of the pistons are the same as stock, balance shouldn't be a problem.

I'm waiting to see if diesel engines will ever become mainstream on motorcycles. Yamaha has patents for one but hasn't done anything with it. Imagine 100 hp and torque while getting 100 miles to the gallon. The tech has been out but hasn't caught on. Only a indy prototype sport bike was made which was impressive. You can buy a cruiser with a diesel if that is one's taste. It is big, heavy and has FOUR fork tubes up front. Forget who makes it.

bmwpowere36m3
I think the pro flat track folks have opened it up, and these pistons being available is probably due to them going to wiseco first.

People/teams who race the bike... sure. Does the OP fall into that category? I doubt it.

My only point, simply raising the compression is a waste of time. For the return on investment... If you were already rebuilding the engine and needed pistons, sure.

Boring and stroking is different as your increasing displacement, not necessarily compression. It comes down to how much you want to spend and tinker. If I ever find the FZ-07 lacking in power, minus small upgrades, I'll just jump to a liter bike... less money and headaches.

fooschnickens
I'm interested to see what they did to the DT-07 concept to get it churning out 90hp. A solid 20hp over stock is nothing to sneeze at!

thomascrown
Ama flat track has a 750cc ceiling. That dt07 for sure has more displacement.

Guest Ralph
The super twins that race in the IOM 650cc ER's ans SV's are giving up tp 105 hp
though I doubt there's much still standard in the motors and they are getting
a bit fragile at those levels.

gregjet
Fiercegerbil, Talking of diesel motorcycles, if you want a great read or two ( also available as a talking book with the author doing the talking ) there are 2 very entertaining books by Paul Carter about diesel motorcycle record attempts. On about riding around Australia and the other about trying to set a land speed record. Very funny. Lots of swearing though. " Is That Thing Diesel?" and " Ride Like Hell and You'll Get There"
This is the most viable diesel I have seen Neander Track T-800CDI.
007, there have been lots of stroker kits made over the years and OFTEN they have been better balanced than the original motors. Maybe not as likely in modern motors . Remember we are only talking about 3mm long stroke here. Very easy to rebalance in the construction. Even in the 70's Poweroll made a stroker kit for the little Honda's that took them from 125 to 185cc. Still available and a favoutite of bucket racers. Actually smoother than the original. The prolem with strokers is the huge amount of work required to do the upgrade as everything has to come apart. At some stage maybe I will condsider getting a proper 688cc motor and sticking it in. Have the advantage of getting rid of the stripped from supplied engine bolt that I had to helicoil.

N/A
gregjet, OK, however, is there a stroker kit on the market for the -07? I think your idea of getting a Euro-spec motor would work out cheaper and more reliable, but hey, if you are going to stroke your LAMS motor I'll enjoy the journey, could be really interesting... cheers,