The MT-07 Forum

FZ-07 Round headlight conversion

bubba

• Premium Member

Looking at this and my 07 yet again, I'm thinking of getting an empty headlight bucket and glass, then modifying that to slip over the stock light assembly and mount with custom brackets. That would give the basic round-light look. I've seen the buckets for hot rods, may be worth a shot.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Global Moderator
So Photobucket hates me and wont post the smaller sized picture.  But here is my conversion. 
CYCLOPS_zpstbeel0ve.jpg~original
What headlamp is that?

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

So Photobucket hates me and wont post the smaller sized picture.  But here is my conversion. 
CYCLOPS_zpstbeel0ve.jpg~original

Wow that's cool! Got any more pics?

AlbatrossCafe
I tried it with the little cube lights, and didn't like how it looked. 

Agreed, and I am so glad you showed up. I have had dual H4 round headlights for 6 weeks or so now. They are **** quality so I was looking at getting new ones. There are not many headlight options available so I looked into off-road / spot lights like you are doing. Almost spent ~$250 on a pair of square ones like that. Glad I avoided it now! lol 
http://i.imgur.com/e0WD8gT.jpg

chademinent

Agreed, and I am so glad you showed up. I have had dual H4 round headlights for 6 weeks or so now. They are **** quality so I was looking at getting new ones. There are not many headlight options available so I looked into off-road / spot lights like you are doing. Almost spent ~$250 on a pair of square ones like that. Glad I avoided it now! lol 
http://i.imgur.com/e0WD8gT.jpg

Nice, that looks dope. I'm definitely going to add the other one now. Cool thing about the Westins is you can order single lights, so if you wanted to do a spot/flood combo like I'm doing, you don't have to spend extra cash on a pair of lights. And they have a lifetime warranty.

johnydecali
ab2948696ee6d49c89fa0152850a59b8.jpg

that's cool! if you can fabricate a windscreen cover that allows the headlights to peak through would be bad ass! Maybe even add a 3rd light, an LED bar light :D 

• 1 year later...
suddenlyseymour
Needs to be lower and smaller. 

IntroMT70S2Concept.jpg

What is this a picture of? A bike you have? Pretty sweet.

The headlight on the XVS950 gave fantastic light in a test I saw, about 3 times longer sight on low beam than the stock MT-07 headlight. The inexcusable low beam throw is the only reason I have to swap the stock headlight, but first I'm going to try a LED high output bulb in the stock light to see what it can do.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Motodemic kit looks great IMO! Is that a 7" or 5-3/4"?

Can't tell from the pic (or my eyes are worse than I thought) but what about signal mounting? Can the stockers go back on without having to fab something?

1 hour ago, michigan400 said:

Motodemic kit looks great IMO! Is that a 7" or 5-3/4"?

Can't tell from the pic (or my eyes are worse than I thought) but what about signal mounting? Can the stockers go back on without having to fab something?

This is a 7" light

the stock signals would need to be adjusted a little to fit. I went with the new rage 360 turn signals. they are size 41mm. you can see them on the forks if you look closely. they are really bright too.

• 1 year later...
On 10/25/2015 at 1:51 PM, bubba said:

Got the OEM signal lights fitted. I took the stalk off of the signal light and there's a threaded bolt inside which I used to mount to the fairing bracket. So far all the work done is totally reversible to stock. No cutting, drilling, or grinding involved.  Edit: the engine is not on so the headlight is not on as well.  The light you see in the second picture from the headlight is the from the built in parking light inside the headlight module.

photo%252520%25252894%252529.JPG
photo%252520%25252895%252529.JPG

Did you mount the turn signals onto the motodemic bracket (with the built in holes for turn signals) or do a mod to the brackets? I’m currently trying to do this on my fz07.

Other question I’d appreciate your thoughts on: I bought a 7 inch bucket headlight that is a bit deeper than the “metric” slim profile one you have attached, and it’s too big to mount higher up since the ignition barrel comes in the way. I’d like to mount it lower to see how it looks but the problem I’m running into is that the fz 07’s wiring doesn’t extend and seems really short. I’m a beginner to diy lighting mods, but if you were to mount your headlight lower, is there a way to get the wiring to be 1-2 inches longer so that it can get tucked into the bucket/headlamp?

• Global Moderator
7 hours ago, Afraaz3 said:

Did you mount the turn signals onto the motodemic bracket (with the built in holes for turn signals) or do a mod to the brackets? I’m currently trying to do this on my fz07.

Other question I’d appreciate your thoughts on: I bought a 7 inch bucket headlight that is a bit deeper than the “metric” slim profile one you have attached, and it’s too big to mount higher up since the ignition barrel comes in the way. I’d like to mount it lower to see how it looks but the problem I’m running into is that the fz 07’s wiring doesn’t extend and seems really short. I’m a beginner to diy lighting mods, but if you were to mount your headlight lower, is there a way to get the wiring to be 1-2 inches longer so that it can get tucked into the bucket/headlamp?

other than splicing and soldering in extensions to the wires, not likely. 

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Other than improving (IMO) the looks of the MT07, the biggest benefit would be a headlight that actually lit up the road instead of merely working as a position indicator to warn others of where you are.

My XSR came to me with a 7" LED headlight attached.

(I think the original was the victim of a slide in its early days)

It was a cheap, unbranded bit of kit, quite bright, but I didn't like its beam pattern and it was rather scratched.

As the original headlamp housing was long gone, I fabricated a stainless steel support for a late Triumph/BSA "Flatback" headlamp shell and, taking a deep breath, bought a 7" Denali LED unit, along with a plug in gizmo that allows the dip beam pattern to stay on when Hi beam is switched on. This way you still have the nice spread of light from the low beam, while the Hi beam blazes ahead down the road.

I have yet to try it properly on unlit roads but, local trials promise a big improvement.

Denali are by no means cheap, but besides the 7", the do a 5.3/4" which might fit the standard XSR headlamp pod.

Archived