The MT-07 Forum

FZ-07 Round headlight conversion

bubba

• Premium Member

FZ-07 Cafe?

Got a 7" round headlight kit, whatcha think?
As usual, this is work in progress.  Need to get some new signal lights as the OEM ones won't fit.

photo%252520%25252893%252529.JPG

photo%252520%25252891%252529.JPG

AlbatrossCafe

Makes it look about 8 years older... I prefer the sleek modern look personally, but good work nonetheless. I would like to see it with the dual round lights (a la a 2010 Triumph street triple) so if you decide to try those out as well I would enjoy the picture...

Triumph_Street_Triple_675_rear_right_threequarter_alt.jpg

The striple would look better if the headlights were fork mounted instead of stuck way out in front on that frame mount.

Bubba, it looks great 'though I agree with thomascrown that a café racer should have a lower and smaller headlight, plus of course clip-on handlebars... so great looking, but not IMHO a café racer.

• Premium Member

I got everything from motodemic.com. I noticed they had a kit for the FZ-09 and inquired about fitting it to my FZ-07. Brad from Motodemic was a great help. In the end, I ordered the round headlight, standard length brackets for 41 mm forks, and the Dart fly screen. I don't think the 2 other shorter brackets they have will not work as there will be clearance issues. I have say the quality of the parts are top shelf! The brackets are like little art sculptures! And the packaging was the best I've ever seen!

It was a straight forward install. I cut off the OEM plastic upper fork covers and mounted the brackets and light. If you wish to mount it up high like mine then you'll either have to order slightly longer brackets ~1/2" longer, or take a BFH to the back of the light housing as the ignition barrel is in the way. If you're ok with mounting it lower, from my pic above it would be similar to moving the upper bracket down to where the lower bracket is, then it will work out of the box. I used the BFH method as Motodemic does not have the longer brackets in stock and I wanted the light to sit up high.

Go Jays go!

Was the fly screen necessary (as in does it look bad/incomplete without it)? Any chance to get a pic without the screen?

Engaging with people that have personality disorders on a message board is like arguing with a rock.

recurveshooter

[em]I thought the Yam seat was just the front half of the two seats on the FZ? I started looking around and it looks a little like a Corbin.[/em][em]
[/em][em]recurveshooter[/em]

• Premium Member

I had considered much the same before I got my 07, but the "slippery" one sort of grew on me... but, I may rethink after seeing this post...

• Premium Member

My friend was over back in June with his FZ-07 to install a tail tidy. He left the OEM tail assembly at my house as he couldn't carry it with him on the bike. What's that saying about unclaimed motorcycle stuff...?

I needed a long piece of metal today. I had a plan to fasten a crossbar in between the fairing brackets to support the the dash. Always thought the location was kind of low. I have some of that that flat aluminum bar stuff from home depot and was going to create a crossbar using it but I didn't have my jigsaw handy. Out came 2 different dull hacksaws to no avail. Looked around the garage and spotted my friend's tail assembly collecting dust on the shelf. Hmm... A measure here, a measure there, perfect! The metal bracket which holds the reflectors on the OEM tail assembly turned out to be the perfect length and shape! No cutting required, simply unbolt this bracket from the tail assembly and remove the reflectors. I attached this to the motodemic brackets.

IMG_1401.JPG
IMG_1404.JPG
IMG_1409.JPG
IMG_1413.JPG

fooschnickens

I love that the cluster is now above the ignition. So much more room to get the key in and opens up lots of space for various accessory mounts.

I wager that the round fixture works a lot better with the LED bulb, too...

• Premium Member

Got the OEM signal lights fitted. I took the stalk off of the signal light and there's a threaded bolt inside which I used to mount to the fairing bracket. So far all the work done is totally reversible to stock. No cutting, drilling, or grinding involved.  Edit: the engine is not on so the headlight is not on as well.  The light you see in the second picture from the headlight is the from the built in parking light inside the headlight module.

photo%252520%25252894%252529.JPG
photo%252520%25252895%252529.JPG

fooschnickens

Is the wiring for the parking lamp plug and play? I'm heavily considering one of these kits as a winter downtime project.

Would it be possible to see the little bracket you scavenged to mount the instrument cluster? I'm starting to scheme a bit in my head...

• Premium Member

The parking lamp comes with bullet connectors. I temporarily attached a piece of wire from each bullet connector to the oem connector.

parts required:
-OEM license plate assembly, preferably discarded or unclaimed
-2 metal washers
-2 rubber washers
-1 bolt
-1 nut
-2 OEM screws from dash

Here's a picture of the back of my bike with the factory license plate assembly. The bracket I used for the dash is that triangle shape piece. This piece can be removed from the rest of tail assembly by undoing a few bolts. Once removed the reflectors can also be easily removed.

photo%252520%25252898%252529.JPG

I attached the scavenged bracket to the fly screen bracket with that big hex bolt, metal and rubber washers on either side. This won't work if you don't order the fly screen as you need its bracket.

photo%252520%25252897%252529.JPG

Here's the bracket with the dash mounted to it. Undo 3 screws to remove the tray which houses the dash. Put aside the tray and 1 screw as they won't be needed. At this point you can unplug the electrical harness from the dash and route it back in under the handlebar then reconnect it to the dash. You won't have to remove the handlebar to relocate the dash if you do it this way. I re-used 2 of the oem dash screws to secure the dash to the bracket through the conveniently located slots on the bracket and then to the existing holes on the underside of the dash.
If desired, the 2 black bolt threads sticking out can be cut off from the bracket as they're not needed. There aren't any clearance issues so I left them on there. No cutting!

photo%252520%25252896%252529.JPG

Archived