The MT-07 Forum

What chain??

george

Hey guys, i want to change my chain cause of the noise it produces..
The factory chain is 525 with 108 links..
I 'll probably go for 520..
For the same sprockets, is it better for me to buy a chain with 110 links or 112 or whatever?

• Premium Member

Get a nice name brand HD xring chain and matching 520 also sprockets... The 2011? R1 has same sprocket combo as the fz-07 only the R1 is in 520 size... I can't seem to locate the posting where I saw it stated the 2011 r1 chain sprocket combo will fit onto the fz-07..

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

• Premium Member

No. You typically would do a full conversion. 520 chain and new sprockets. A couple of riders here have done this for setting their bike up for the track. Pauli would have some insight, I'm sure.

You probably already know this, but if you do the 520 conversion your speedo is gonna be off. I did a RK 520 conversion on my gixxer, and my speedometer is off by 5 - 15 mph, depending on how fast I'm going. The faster I go, the further it's off. I'm lucky I didn't get a ticket when I first got the FZ-07, because I was so used to my speedo reading 90 mph when I was doing about 78 mph, that I forgot I was on a bike with an accurate speedo. Oops, lol.

bmwpowere36m3
You probably already know this, but if you do the 520 conversion your speedo is gonna be off. I did a RK 520 conversion on my gixxer, and my speedometer is off by 5 - 15 mph, depending on how fast I'm going. The faster I go, the further it's off. I'm lucky I didn't get a ticket when I first got the FZ-07, because I was so used to my speedo reading 90 mph when I was doing about 78 mph, that I forgot I was on a bike with an accurate speedo. Oops, lol.
? No. Unless you change the # of sprocket teeth, the speedo will be unaffected. Chain size (i.e., 520,525,530) has to do with pitch/width/roller size.

Yes in that case a speedo healer is needed..
Has anyone change his chain to another 525 chain (DID, AFAM..)?
Does it make any noise, like factory one?

• Global Moderator

I have installed a 520conversion kit going -2 in the rear with a vortex steel sprocket and a renthal ultralight front in stock size. Chain is a DID ERV3 XRING 520 chain.
I havemt taken the bike out yet but there aeems to be no excess noise when running the bike on the stands

Yes in that case a speedo healer is needed.. Has anyone change his chain to another 525 chain (DID, AFAM..)?
Does it make any noise, like factory one?

The stock chain should be a DID as well.

Speedohealer is also an option 2wdw has offered with their reflash, along with lowering the cooling fan temp and raising the idle.

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Premium Member

Some chain noise is normal...it's really noticeable due to the smart car quietness of the stock exhaust...I even throw a hefty coat of wax on chain every few weeks...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

You would be surprised just how loud a motorcycle chain noise is! Check out the videos of Isle of man TTX electric racers. Almost no engine noise , a little tyre noise and a REALLY loud chain noise . Admittedly they use non sealed chains ( ie no Orings or equivalent) but you can hear the bike coming from lot furthur than you think you should

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

• 2 weeks later...

I think Supersprox do a 520 conversion that fits. Get the stealth if you can. VERY high quality rear sprockets. I'd like to do the same conversion.

I think Supersprox do a 520 conversion that fits. Get the stealth if you can. VERY high quality rear sprockets. I'd like to do the same conversion.
Been there, done that. 

21oqoo.jpg

• Global Moderator
Been there, done that. 

21oqoo.jpg

When i first ordered my setup back in May.... only a handful of companies made front sprockets that would fit our bikes.
Wish i wouldve heard about supersprox back then. Maybe ill still get a set

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

It's a good bit quieter than the crap oem chain.

Where'd you buy the supersprox from? Do they have front cog too?
What chain are you running?

Honda Grom
CB 350

Its a kit from supersprox. Comes with everything including the lightened front sprocket. Chain is rk gxw.
I just bought that chain in a 525 size for use with the stock sprockets.  Hoping to stop the constant chain maintenance. 

Excellent, @randy2100!
Please, let us know if the noise of the new chain is less of the stock one...
Here in Italy we have some colleagues very unhappy with the stock chain.

I'm lucky with my chain that is "normal", but I've seen and heard some noisy chain... and this kind of noise isn't normal.

www.MT-Series.it
Yamaha Official MT-Series Club

Part of the "noisy" is the fact that the rear sprocket is quite thin. It tends to "ring" and amplify the chain sound. Thicker sprocket, aluminium sprockets( less sonarous metal) and the Supersprox composite construction tend not to ring as much, so appear quieter. The Stealth is very precisely cut as well so less tolerance noise, same with any good quality chain.
Add to that the fact that the sprocket carrier is also quite thin and you are going to get a fair bit of noise.

• 2 weeks later...
Excellent, @randy2100! Please, let us know if the noise of the new chain is less of the stock one...

I'm lucky with my chain that is "normal", but I've seen and heard some noisy chain... and this kind of noise isn't normal.
I'm happy with the new chain. Links are much smoother and flexible compared to the old o-ring chain.  No funny noises so-far. Here's a pic:
https://goo.gl/photos/X2yNtjj3ntwEzXii9

Thank you @randy2100!
I've shared your infos in the MT-Series.it forum, here we have many 07 users with the annoying noisy chain.
:)

www.MT-Series.it
Yamaha Official MT-Series Club

• Premium Member
Excellent, @randy2100! Please, let us know if the noise of the new chain is less of the stock one...

I'm happy with the new chain. Links are much smoother and flexible compared to the old o-ring chain.  No funny noises so-far. Here's a pic:
https://goo.gl/photos/X2yNtjj3ntwEzXii9

Which rear hugger is that? Puig?

Archived