george

What chain??

george
Hey guys, i want to change my chain cause of the noise it produces..
The factory chain is 525 with 108 links..
I 'll probably go for 520..
For the same sprockets, is it better for me to buy a chain with 110 links or 112 or whatever?

norcal616
Get a nice name brand HD xring chain and matching 520 also sprockets... The 2011? R1 has same sprocket combo as the fz-07 only the R1 is in 520 size... I can't seem to locate the posting where I saw it stated the 2011 r1 chain sprocket combo will fit onto the fz-07..

george
Does a 520 chain fit factory sprockets?
  • Like 1

yamahappy74
No. You typically would do a full conversion. 520 chain and new sprockets. A couple of riders here have done this for setting their bike up for the track. Pauli would have some insight, I'm sure.

bmwpowere36m3
No, sprockets have to match the chain. Unless your replacement chain is a 525.

virginiadave
You probably already know this, but if you do the 520 conversion your speedo is gonna be off. I did a RK 520 conversion on my gixxer, and my speedometer is off by 5 - 15 mph, depending on how fast I'm going. The faster I go, the further it's off. I'm lucky I didn't get a ticket when I first got the FZ-07, because I was so used to my speedo reading 90 mph when I was doing about 78 mph, that I forgot I was on a bike with an accurate speedo. Oops, lol.

bmwpowere36m3
You probably already know this, but if you do the 520 conversion your speedo is gonna be off. I did a RK 520 conversion on my gixxer, and my speedometer is off by 5 - 15 mph, depending on how fast I'm going. The faster I go, the further it's off. I'm lucky I didn't get a ticket when I first got the FZ-07, because I was so used to my speedo reading 90 mph when I was doing about 78 mph, that I forgot I was on a bike with an accurate speedo. Oops, lol.
? No. Unless you change the # of sprocket teeth, the speedo will be unaffected. Chain size (i.e., 520,525,530) has to do with pitch/width/roller size.
  • Like 2

george
Yes in that case a speedo healer is needed..
Has anyone change his chain to another 525 chain (DID, AFAM..)?
Does it make any noise, like factory one?

sorkyah
I have installed a 520conversion kit going -2 in the rear with a vortex steel sprocket and a renthal ultralight front in stock size. Chain is a DID ERV3 XRING 520 chain.
I havemt taken the bike out yet but there aeems to be no excess noise when running the bike on the stands

Yes in that case a speedo healer is needed.. Has anyone change his chain to another 525 chain (DID, AFAM..)?
Does it make any noise, like factory one?

The stock chain should be a DID as well.

Speedohealer is also an option 2wdw has offered with their reflash, along with lowering the cooling fan temp and raising the idle.

norcal616
Some chain noise is normal...it's really noticeable due to the smart car quietness of the stock exhaust...I even throw a hefty coat of wax on chain every few weeks...

gregjet
You would be surprised just how loud a motorcycle chain noise is! Check out the videos of Isle of man TTX electric racers. Almost no engine noise , a little tyre noise and a REALLY loud chain noise . Admittedly they use non sealed chains ( ie no Orings or equivalent) but you can hear the bike coming from lot furthur than you think you should
  • Like 2

gregjet
I think Supersprox do a 520 conversion that fits. Get the stealth if you can. VERY high quality rear sprockets. I'd like to do the same conversion.

thomascrown
I think Supersprox do a 520 conversion that fits. Get the stealth if you can. VERY high quality rear sprockets. I'd like to do the same conversion.
Been there, done that. 

21oqoo.jpg

sorkyah
Been there, done that. 

21oqoo.jpg

When i first ordered my setup back in May.... only a handful of companies made front sprockets that would fit our bikes.
Wish i wouldve heard about supersprox back then. Maybe ill still get a set