The MT-07 Forum

First turbocharged fz07?

wakecarved

Hi guys, anyone following the "boost it turbos" instagram page? They have built possibly the first turbo fz07
"Snow mobile" very interesting although there are no videos or other pictures that i can find. It interests me as i am currently accumulating parts and having a intake manifold built for a street turbo mt07.. have already consulted a tuning shop that specializes in turbo bikes and they are ready when i am, we shall see how it goes.
Screenshot_2015-10-20-17-22-41-1.png

Screenshot_2015-10-20-17-20-57-1.png

20151009_184830.jpg

though this looks like a very cool project to follow, i cant help but wonder how expensive this will be for you. for such a low budget bike in the first place, is it really worth all this? like they say, there is no replacement for displacement. i dont want to sound like im discouraging you by any means. just know that for your bike and a couple grand on top you would have stock bike that would blow the doors off this thing even with the turbo and still be completely reliable 100% of the time. something you may loose when doing this...just food for thought

• Premium Member

though this looks like a very cool project to follow, i cant help but wonder how expensive this will be for you. for such a low budget bike in the first place, is it really worth all this? like they say, there is no replacement for displacement. i dont want to sound like im discouraging you by any means. just know that for your bike and a couple grand on top you would have stock bike that would blow the doors off this thing even with the turbo and still be completely reliable 100% of the time. something you may loose when doing this...just food for thought
Ppl have been turbo charging cheap crap cars for decades and no one tells em anything. If I have to see another civic with a giant fart can stickin out its rear end I'll vomit. At least this project is unique and intriguing. Also nothing about this bike feels cheap (except maybe the suspension) It's not always just about speed. Having something no one else has feels special.

Its never a good idea to turbo anything haha but it will be a bit of fun. It will be running for under 4 grand once all the bits and pieces are considered and the tuning cost.
The bike already has a power commander 5 in it with map sensor for reading boost and i am using a innovate scg1 boost controller with built in wideband sensor and data logging. This will cut the boost back to spring pressure (3psi) in the event of a lean situation or overboost.
The tuner told me to get hayabusa 550cc injectors and he will make them fit.
He also might fit heavier clutch springs if it starts to slip on the dyno.
The turbo is a gt15 oil only turbo rated to about 150hp.
The plenum is getting made at the moment and then the fabricator will come around and hook up all the exhaust manifold and exhaust et. Will be interesting, the tuner is confident it will scare the shit out of me, will have loads of torque.
My end goal is to build a turbo
"Cafe fighter" style bike.
With this snow mobile having been built i know it can be done now.

False. The replacement for displacement is more air or higher RPM. BMW, 3.2L I6 makes 333hp. Toyota 3.0L I6 makes 320hp. 5.7L LS1 makes 325hp. All similar HP figures, all using a different method of producing said power. As for wasting money on making something cool... Yes it is a waste of money. But at the end of the day saying, "I have a turbo'd motorcycle" sounds cooler than, My literbike does 300km/h.

What are your power goals? and what are you looking at for boost levels? Larger injectors I would assume are on their way? and do you have any plans on dropping the CR to get power, or just try it with a really rich tune to keep her from popping?

• Premium Member

I want to see the outcome of this. The @Hobbs most certainly approves.

Everything went braap.

• Global Moderator

as ravenlord stated. Power delivery is all about how the engine is setup.
A 6.7l I6 cummins diesel produces somewhere around 300hp, but torque rating can be upwards of 1200lb/ft if tuned
A 5.7l v8 hemi challenger has 305hp and 400lb/ft of torque.
A 1.8l turbo in the alfa 4c has 240hp and 280lb/ft torque.

"No replacement for displacement" i believe was a racing saying back in the 50's/60's when engine manufacturers couldnt produce the power needed to beat competitors w/o adding more cylinders due to technology limitations in metallurgy, design, and control systems(computers vs distibutors)

I would also recommend lowering comp ratio
Richening it could cause all sorts of issues with carbon deposits and hotspots leading to knock/ping

Perhaps adding a second radiator to act as a water-air intercooler for incoming charge. Or better yet a 50cc water/meth injection system

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Id be happy with about 120hp but the tuner thinks it could make alot more.
It is staying stock cr for now if something breaks then i will rebuild it with low cr pistons.
Wastegate spring pressure is set at 3psi which the boost controller will revert too if it detects abnormal af ratios.
The tuner will decide how much boost to run and all that, he specializes in turbo bikes and the front of his shop is all crazy turbo busa's and thousands.
Its getting hayabusa 550cc injectors so i think he plans to run it rich or at least have enough fuel there if he needs it.
He said dont worry about an intercooler when i asked as it wont be running massive boost or making 200hp and he said dont worry with the fuel pump or rising regs as it wont need them with what we are aiming for. The bike will be tuned to be safe according to how the bike is built.
Just waiting on the fabricator the finish the intake manifold and then i can put it all together

This is going to be awesome be sure to video it.
I want to hear what it sounds like.
I would definitely get a quick shifter like the one made by healtech gonna be needing to shift a lot.

Ppl have been turbo charging cheap crap cars for decades and no one tells em anything. If I have to see another civic with a giant fart can stickin out its rear end I'll vomit. At least this project is unique and intriguing. Also nothing about this bike feels cheap (except maybe the suspension) It's not always just about speed. Having something no one else has feels special.
how is this any different than kids in the 70's and 80's modifying muscle cars? or you or me putting an exhaust on our bikes? its not at all. minimal power gains and extra noise. just because you dont like it doesnt mean there is something wrong with it. but i agree, this project will be awesome no doubt.  

and for the record...who ever said having a turbo'd bike is cooler than saying my literbike does300kmh. this is an opinion, and a fantastic one at that! i'll even agree! but there are circumstances...lets say homeboy has a lowered stretched wide tire custom paint turbo busa...is that cooler than lets say a track ready literbike? my vote goes for the track bike, BUT this is an opinion. and everyones is different and thats what makes life colorful

• Premium Member

how is this any different than kids in the 70's and 80's modifying muscle cars? or you or me putting an exhaust on our bikes? its not at all. minimal power gains and extra noise. just because you dont like it doesnt mean there is something wrong with it. but i agree, this project will be awesome no doubt.  

and for the record...who ever said having a turbo'd bike is cooler than saying my literbike does300kmh. this is an opinion, and a fantastic one at that! i'll even agree! but there are circumstances...lets say homeboy has a lowered stretched wide tire custom paint turbo busa...is that cooler than lets say a track ready literbike? my vote goes for the track bike, BUT this is an opinion. and everyones is different and thats what makes life colorful

Perhaps you misread my comment. Or perhaps I'm misreading yours. But, I for one am thrilled to see the outcome of this mod. I never said I didn't like it.

Still have to weigh the power gains vs investment. Engine reliability would be my concern as well as drivability on the street. Turbo lag would be another issue unless one went with a variable geometry turbo which would be pricey. I'm not a professional mechanic. Don't get me wrong. I'm a huge fan of turbos on cars.... and trucks for that matter. My opinion is supercharging is the way to go on motorcycles. Look at the H2R. Superchargers don't lag. Only 2 issues with supercharging a 07....well 1 issue really. Parasitic load isn't much of a problem... fitment would be THE problem. Would take some engineering prowess for aftermarket hence turbos being the "easier" choice. Supers vs turbos is a whole other debate though. I do hope the project goes well and gets to blazing new trails in the performance realm. It is interesting to say the least.
(I'm not doubting the knowledge and skills of the builder. Just call it my concern being the 07 is a new model. This is undiscovered country here. Pushing the envelope is risky but can potentially yield awesome results.)

Go ahead. Pick on the short guy. Wait... I'm short.

OK, this is just an opinion, but one formulated by over 50 years of riding motorcycles.

I like little, light, nimble motorcycles. Always have. I have owned all sorts over the years and my stand out favourite I still have... a 1959 Norton with a Triumph 650 engine. AKA a Triton. Small, light, nimble, torquey, powerful enough, sounds great, stops well (thanks to a Norvil disc conversion), handles beautifully and it looks cool. In fact it looks so cool that who knows, one day I might turbo charge it. So many thanks to wakecarved for this thread... big capacity is not always the answer to pure enjoyment of our preferred pastime, but more power never goes amiss. IMHO! :)

PS: I own the MT-07 because it's just like a modern day Triton (albeit, with weird looks and crap suspension) and I won't care as much if someone pinches it or it gets knocked over in a car park!

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Premium Member

Any one know the flow rate of the stock fz07 fuel injectors?

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

Re: "replacement for displacement", it's still a valid concept due to the power characteristics of smaller versus larger engines. Yes you can get similar or better peak HP numbers from smaller engines but peak HP is only a small part of actual performance. The torque, how linear the powerband is, etc. all contribute to a vehicle's real-world performance and it's still a basic fact that larger displacement is better than smaller displacement. In order to compete with a larger, naturally aspirated engine's power output, a smaller engine has to run higher pressures, greater RPMs and will still only manage to hit a similar peak HP, without being able to match the torque and linear delivery of the larger engine. That means greater friction, which means more heat, which means extra systems to compensate, more regular maintenance, greater chance of failures and all of that means less reliability - which is very important in a street car.

Do some highly-tuned, turbocharged Honda Civics have similar peak HP numbers to my LS1 Z/28 Camaro? Yes. Does that mean they stand a chance in a real road race? Nope! Because I've got gobs of power at every point on the dial, from idle to redline. Could a professional driver in a small tuner beat an amateur in a muscle car? Sure, but that hardly means anything. All things being equal, there's still no replacement for displacement. There's a reason they still make Corvettes with V8s and not with turbocharged inline 4s.

Nevermind what happens when it's a V8 you start out with, if you're going to start bolting boost onto things...

Anyway here's my current stable, since I mentioned the Z/28. :)

20160828_214445.jpg

If it is something you plan to own till it sees end days, why not?

• Premium Member

Normally, in cars, I am a big turbo-fan (no pun intended) but not with bikes and especially not the 07. Here is the deal... I race custom-fabbed turbo cars at Bonneville and have for a LOOOONG time. On cages adding a turbo and attendant hardware represents a very small percentage weight increase (though, even then it can be placed problematically for weight distribution) and the power gains certainly more than make up for it.

However, on a typical high compression production bike? No way to come out ahead when one can simply upgrade to a more powerful, otherwise comparable production bike. Certainly, it might be fun to do, but just as much a big headache working out the kinks--all of them. Lots of potential issues I'll not bother listing here.

Other than an engineering "exercise" I see no redeeming social value in turboing a 07.

Here is a current record holder we just blew-up last month at SpeedWeek!

• Premium Member

I'm looking to turbo charge my FZ-07 and was wondering about the oil pressure supply for the turbo.  Would there be any issues with just T-ing into the oil pressure sensor port?  Thanks for any info.

0920161002_zpshgzh93id.jpg

And what about this plug?  Anyone know if there would be oil pressure at this port?

0920161002a_zpsyocvhmm3.jpg

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

I'm looking to turbo charge my FZ-07 and was wondering about the oil pressure supply for the turbo.  Would there be any issues with just T-ing into the oil pressure sensor port?  Thanks for any info. 
0920161002_zpshgzh93id.jpg

And what about this plug?  Anyone know if there would be oil pressure at this port?

0920161002a_zpsyocvhmm3.jpg

Depending on the switch threshold t-ing off the pressure switch could be problematic. Not sure about the other plug.

Archived